Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Played my first game with new guard...
Old 03 May 2009, 22:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Played my first game with new guard...

I think they're brilliant. I had a blast giving orders to my squads, running around with my Hellstalker (Hellhound), and using psychic powers. I'd like to go over what I like and dislike.

Things that are epic:

Master of Ordnance. I gotta give a big shout-out to this guy. For the first two turns of the game his shots were bang on target, decimating a Space Marine Rhino and knocking the Lascannons off of a Razorback. He didn't do much for the rest of the game, but for his minimal point cost, he did wonderfully. If I'd picked more vulnerable and squishy targets, who knows what kind of havoc he could sow.

Primaris Psyker. I think so far people have some reserved opinions about him, but I think he's absolutely worth his small point cost. He has so much killing potential that, if you're looking for a cheap HQ, he's really cost effective.

Battle Psyker Squads. What's more fun than dropping a strength 6 large blast on an opponent and looking at the dread on their face when you roll a 2 for the AP? And the leadership drop power is great for if you have Stormtroopers with Behind Enemy Lines, or a unit of Ratlings.

Sly Marbo. This man lives up to his nickname 'One Man Army'. He came in on the third turn, dumping a Demolition Charge on a unit of Harlequins killing 4 of them and putting a wound on a Wraithlord. He then made a Death or Glory vs a Falcon Grav Tank and destroyed it, and charged the Wraithlord knocking the last two wounds off of it. He made over 6 times his points.

Orders. In general, the orders are all very effective. I used 'Front Rank, FIRE! Second Rank, FIRE!' multiple times to devastating effect, dropping Jetbikes, Dire Avengers, and whatever else came too close. The other orders I used significantly less, but I had multiple opportunities to put them all to good use.

Hellhounds. The first round mine ran up a flank and cooked 7 Dire Avengers in cover. It lost its turret, and then proceeded to ram a Vyper, destroying it. The next turn it shot 18" across the table and inflicted a strength 9 hit into a Rhino, though it unfortunately didn't do anything. On the other side of the table, an ally's Hellhound wiped out pretty much an entire 1,000 points of Eldar by itself. I can foresee lots of Hellhounds being used.

Lastly, Sentinels. I'd never seen them used before, but we had 11 on the table this game. Only 2 dropped, but they all did something nasty. Plasma Cannons on Sentinels are disgusting, and we had a Sentinel kick over a Marine in assault and proceed to run the whole unit down.

On to the the things I don't like so much...

Vox Casters. Don't get me wrong, they work wonderfully and are totally worth the 5 points. I don't think they were implemented properly. I think, personally, that Vox Casters ought to let you issue commands regardless of range, but for a seriously jacked-up cost, like 10 points per model for squads and 25 points for a command squad.

Weediness. Guardsmen are still sissies when they're getting shot at. I know, I know, it's all in the name of balance, but I used to take Carapace Armour and the like to keep my linemen protected, and now that I can't anymore they're quite fragile again. The tanks and offensive abilities of Guardsmen quite make up for it though.

No psychic hoods. Were they just overlooked for this codex? Eldar psychic powers ripped me to shreds, and I think that Primaris Psykers should have the ability to take Hoods at an increased point cost.

That's just from my one game's experience. I've still yet to try out a lot of the options in the book, but we've found that running 6 units of Veterans is perfectly feasible, and running multiple Russes is absolutely devastating. Also, taking a Veteran squad with 2 Flamers and a Heavy Flamer in a Chimera with a Heavy Flamer turret and a Hull-mounted Heavy Flamer is absolutely disgusting. Nobody wants near that.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Played my first game with new guard...

Quote:
Sly Marbo. This man lives up to his nickname 'One Man Army'. He came in on the third turn, dumping a Demolition Charge on a unit of Harlequins killing 4 of them and putting a wound on a Wraithlord. He then made a Death or Glory vs a Falcon Grav Tank and destroyed it, and charged the Wraithlord knocking the last two wounds off of it. He made over 6 times his points.
WTF...:sadnshocked:

BTW, how exactly did you destroy that Falcon?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

home made exploding arrows DUH!

Even though he is god offal cheesy, I do like the feeling of the old days when planets/special characters were named after rock bands/movie star/heads of states. Congrats Kaff on your first game with the new codex, I'm only 200 odd guards men away from my first game, so it was good to see what was working.

LET THE TRAITOR'S BLOOD FLOW
bondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 04:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:

Yea... you need a weapon that could actually damage it...

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:

Yea... you need a weapon that could actually damage it...
Wait, Marbo has a Melta Bomb :P Forgotten about that.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

God I love him so much! I'm going to use my new command squad to make a model for him and I don't think I'll be able to build a list that doesn't include him.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't even play guard and I'm thinking of making a version of Sly Mambo based off this notorious WWII personality.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 13:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I think that it is good that the Psychers can't take hoods, Eldar are meant to rule the Psychic world.

I was going to retire with my Guard until I heard about the new Codex coming out, so I am going to save up and buy some new stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Marbo

Mar | raM

Rambo.

And damn, does he show it.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 19:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Vox Casters. Don't get me wrong, they work wonderfully and are totally worth the 5 points. I don't think they were implemented properly. I think, personally, that Vox Casters ought to let you issue commands regardless of range, but for a seriously jacked-up cost, like 10 points per model for squads and 25 points for a command squad
This is one of the biggest things I'm hearing from my friends, and we all agree with this. Vox casters are supposed to be so that if the command company can't see you, he can still talk to you. Even our modern military has this equipment!

The 5pts for it is a life saver, and i plan on taking them with all my squads as basic kit. Re-rolls are always a good thing.

Perhaps there should be 2 upgrades. A "Comm-Link" with the orignal rules for the Vox Caster, and a "Vox Caster" that allows us communicate without range.

I doubt that GW will change it soon, for upgrading it this way adds alot of power to the Guard...
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote