Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ratlings
Old 28 Apr 2009, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ratlings

Well somebody had to write up a tactica on these guys and since I'm including them in every list I've designed and play tested for my friend (I'm building him an army) let's see why I like them.

RATLINGS

Overview

Ratlings are fantastic units brilliant for popping down monstrous creatures and being a real pain in the neck to infantry... always take at least one squad as they are worth their weight in gold. They can deal some damage but remember they are a support unit. Being a support unit isn't a bad thing, they're needed. Ratlings cannot take on the enemy by themselves, but they'll still ruin someone's day when used right. Ratlings, can kill a very expensive unit. They are a fire magnet in my matches as well which can be a tactical advantage. They are very fragile though, hence they need a fair amount of protection in the form of troop meat shields and good cover.

What do they do

Ratlings can infiltrate, get stealth, pin, rending, and have sniper rifles at BS 4. These little buggers draw a lot more fire than their damage output sometimes merits, but against anything that isnít fearless a chance to pin is a chance to pin. Take them in squads of eight or more, and place them in cover, and then try some nifty combos out.

Ratlings have always been better at sniping than human sniper squads if you want to go that route. Get more sniper rifles for the points and they're shooting at higher BS. For one Eldar pathfinders you can get two ratlings. For every assassin you can get ten. All of these units are armed with the same, disgustingly good sniper rifle. How many shots you churn out is fairly important, considering it's a 4+ to wound. Ratlings are definitely one of the most cost effective units. For the cost of a melta gun you get a guy with stealth ( camo cloak ) normal Sniper Rifle and BS4. That is pretty weedy. If you want snipers, Ratlings are much better (read: cost-effective) than special weapons squads.

Use Ratlings in conjunction with another unit whenever possible. When you pie plate a unit , your opponent is going to remove there basic guys first. Hit them with the Ratlings after. As I said in the overview they are not going to the win the battle by themselves but supported they can be very effective. If you have to take an LD test then just go to ground. If your opponent is moving towards an objective try to pin his squad.

- Place a squad in a tactical spot is very important - you deploy them last - so they will get to shoot at their intended target. They can also be used to force back infiltrators.
- Use them as a fire magnet to take the pressure off other squads.
- Use them pin squads that are likely to hurt you
- User them against MCs
- They rend

Terminators -> Ratlings
Nobs -> Ratlings
Lysander -> Ratlings
Wraithlord - > Ratlings
Nidzilla -> Ratlings

Some Combos

Quick Pin Combo: Ratlings + Psychic Choir = Lower LD value, shoot them with the snipers to pin the squad. Lets not forget about a simple morale test for 25% losses.

If a unit is on an objective, I really don't want them to be pinned (+1 cover save) as much as I want them to run

Big Monster Hunting: Ratlings + Special Order Fire at the big one!. Twin linked sniper rifles! Look out Nidzilla.

Squad sizes

Ideally use at least 7 Ė 10 Ratlings. I'm a firm believer in more is better for Ratlings. Ten will kill something, five maybe not. Yes, the five donít get shot, but that's because they are less of a threat. Don't forget the very good cover saves. You should always be getting around a 3+ save with the Ratlings.

Letís look at the math for one unit of nine Ratlings
2-3 GEQ Wounds
1-2 MEQ Wounds
1 TEQ Wounds
1 T7 2+ Carnifex Wounds

Quote:
From IcyCool:
GEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 save = 2 GEQ kills (2.33 w/rending)
MEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 2 saves = 1 MEQ kill (1.67 w/rending)
TEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 2.5 saves = 0.5 TEQ kill (0.99 w/rending)
T7 Carnifex w/2+save = 0.5 wounds (1.33 w/rending)
9 shots = on average 6 hits = 3 wounds = they fail 1 - 3 = 1 - 3 pinning checks.

Summary

Okay. The little buggers are Abhuman. Some Guard players do not like Abhumans. The models currently suck but the new models are awesome. They are competing in the Elite slot with Psyker Battle squads ( which they combo with nicely) and in allied lists with Inquisitors, Assassins, etc. Yes they have weaknesses. Sniper units tend to draw a lot of fire. Their low toughness means that they will suffer a lot of casualties. Their low LD means its harder to pass morale tests. But nothing is better then when your squad of Ratlings take out yout opponent's beloved Daemon Prince or Wraithlord in a turn of shooting. Just be careful of flamers and determined enemy fire. Then again, if your opponent is putting that much fire into your snipers than leaves the rest of your army under a lot less stress.

The bottom line is that these tiny hobbits are rarely points misspent.

As always .. please add, correct and comment away. Thank you for taking the time to read this

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 09:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Ratlings

I take Ratlings in most of my lists (current Dex) and they nearly always make their points back. I find that a lot of Guard players take one look at their stat line and instantly dismiss them as crap which is a big mistake! I do believe that they are now a point cheaper in the new Dex and I hope that this combined with the fact they now have some decent new models will encourage more players to give them a try.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 18:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Since when do sniper rifles ignore armor? with nine ratlings your looking at, 1 dead Meq at the most. Maybe two if you get a good rending hit in there.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
Since when do sniper rifles ignore armor? with nine ratlings your looking at, 1 dead Meq at the most. Maybe two if you get a good rending hit in there.
Six hit.

Three wound.

You should get about 1 or 2 kills.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turok117
Six hit.

Three wound.

You should get about 1 or 2 kills.
Of the three wounds, you should get one MEQ kill on average. One wound (MEQ's save 2/3 of the wounds). Maybe if you are lucky you'll get a rending wound. But the chances of that aren't enough to bring your average up to 2, much less 2.5 MEQ kills. The mathhammer is a bit high for every category.

It should be:
GEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 save = 2 GEQ kills (2.33 w/rending)
MEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 2 saves = 1 MEQ kill (1.67 w/rending)
TEQ = 9 shots, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 2.5 saves = 0.5 TEQ kill (0.99 w/rending)
T7 Carnifex w/2+save = 0.5 wounds (1.33 w/rending)

Each of those should be adjusted up a small fraction due to rending. Unless I've gotten my math fiddled up somewhere.

Edit - Brain melted, should have the right figures now.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Yeah they're good....if you like ugly stumpy hairy goofball hobbit models. Ratlings are nearly always my first target for my Hammerheads Submunition or the stealth teams, I just want to get their ugly asses off the board.

Can't believe they made new models for them...

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
Yeah they're good....if you like ugly stumpy hairy goofball hobbit models. Ratlings are nearly always my first target for my Hammerheads Submunition or the stealth teams, I just want to get their ugly D'yeri off the board.

Can't believe they made new models for them...
Agreed, I'd rather have Tau sniper drone teams over 8 ratlings any day of the week, 2-3 Meq kills, with a better form of stealth, and a markerlight, that just makes sense. still only three shots, so if you roll badly you can be looking at 0 dead marines, but if you roll superbly you're looking at 3 dead meqs.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 28 Apr 2009, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Sorry if this is a bit brash, but i've taken the liberty of doing the MathHammer with rending. (As always, feel inclined to correct me if you see any mistakes)

9 Ratlings.

vs GEQ: 9 Shots, 4.5 Hits + 1.5 Rending, 2.25 Wounds (Rending not inc), 1.5 Unsaved + Rending = 3 GEQ kills.
vs MEQ: 9 Shots, 4.5 Hits + 1.5 Rending, 2.25 Wounds (Rending not inc), 0.75 Unsaved + Rending = 2.25 MEQ Kills
vs TEQ: 9 Shots, 4.5 Hits + 1.5 Rending, 2.25 Wounds (Rending not inc), 0.375 Unsaved + Rending (5+ Invulnerable saves a third of the Rending shots) = 1.375 TEQ Kills.

Hope this helps.

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Seems a bit off to me, Meq should not have more than 2 kills. To get two Meq kills minus the rending you'd need about 18 shots. Statistically you're going to be getting about six hits with nine, then on to wound rolls one will rend, and you have five other shots, accounting for the six as part of one of the statistically 4+ to wound dice rolls, you get two other wounds without rending, so about 1.666 Meq kills for the nine ratlings. 2/3 +1= 1.666

Mathhammer for my sniper drones

with markerlight hit 3* (4/6)=2 *(5/6)= 1.666

No Markerlight Hit 3*.5=1.5 *(5/6)= 1.25

Averaged together you get 1.458 Median kills (averaged because the chance of with or without markerlight is the same.)

So point for point the Ratlings are on the same level as the sniper drone teams.

Back on topic, Ratlings against meqs get 1.666 Meq kills. Not a good or bad rating, but I'd use them more for the awesome anit hoard capabilities, Low LD with pinning means that big CC hoard will never reach your precious tanks.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 23:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Zannu, either your number of hits is off (if I'm understanding what you posted), or you are using the 4th Ed. rending rules. Rending now happens on the to-wound roll, not the to-hit.

@Tausand Sun: Those are the numbers I came up with above, so I'm inclined to agree with you.