Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vox Casters
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Vox Casters

Actually now that i write it, this should be quite a common topic, but i'll post this anyway. my question would be:

How many vox casters should you have, and where should you have them?

I remember a while back people commenting about how, newb IG players give every squad a vox caster, which is totally pointless. so i was wondering where is their use at all?

basically could you guys give me some pointes one where best to place vox casters.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:43   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Vox Casters

Back in 4th, Vox-Casters allows units not within 12" of an Officer to use their Officer's Leadership (a Vox-Caster is also needed with the Command Squad). Most Guardsmen keep the Officer with the rest of the Platoon thus elminating the need for a Vox Network (A term use for the extensive use of Vox-Casters and maybe a Master Vox) but now, in the 5th, Vox Casters are used to issue Orders to those units that are not within their Command Radius.

Unless the unit is not within the Command Radius of the Company/Platoon Commander, you don't really need Vox-Casters. A normal Guard player will want to give their Commander a good view of the tabletop so he can issue Orders like Bring it Down! or Fire on my Target! against the said enemy unit as well as keep him safe from harm. Easier said than done. Most of the Orders (especially the offensive ones) requires Line of Sight to the said target so you have to expose your Commander and while hiding your Commander from harm e.g. hiding him so they don't get in sights of any enemy guns, you will, somewhat, nullify his usefulness; issuing Orders.

Anyway, for Vox Casters, best to place them in units where they're going to be quite a distances away from the Commander e.g. Veteran Squads in Valkyries outflanking. Otherwise, you don't really need it. Keep your Commander with the bulk of your Infantry forces and give him a good view of the entire tabletop.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 05:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Back in 4th, Vox-Casters allows units not within 12" of an Officer to use their Officer's Leadership (a Vox-Caster is also needed with the Command Squad). Most Guardsmen keep the Officer with the rest of the Platoon thus elminating the need for a Vox Network (A term use for the extensive use of Vox-Casters and maybe a Master Vox) but now, in the 5th, Vox Casters are used to issue Orders to those units that are not within their Command Radius.

Unless the unit is not within the Command Radius of the Company/Platoon Commander, you don't really need Vox-Casters. A normal Guard player will want to give their Commander a good view of the tabletop so he can issue Orders like Bring it Down! or Fire on my Target! against the said enemy unit as well as keep him safe from harm. Easier said than done. Most of the Orders (especially the offensive ones) requires Line of Sight to the said target so you have to expose your Commander and while hiding your Commander from harm e.g. hiding him so they don't get in sights of any enemy guns, you will, somewhat, nullify his usefulness; issuing Orders.

Anyway, for Vox Casters, best to place them in units where they're going to be quite a distances away from the Commander e.g. Veteran Squads in Valkyries outflanking. Otherwise, you don't really need it. Keep your Commander with the bulk of your Infantry forces and give him a good view of the entire tabletop.
Zen, can you give me a page ref for this? From what I've read there's no range extension at all. Just says about re-rolling the check for making orders, which, although useless, seems not particularly vox-y considering the regular order giving range is basically shouting distance....
Old 26 Apr 2009, 05:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai

Zen, can you give me a page ref for this? From what I've read there's no range extension at all. Just says about re-rolling the check for making orders, which, although useless, seems not particularly vox-y considering the regular order giving range is basically shouting distance....
I second the page number, I am looking through the codex now and it says nothing about a vox in the order section and all it says is re-roll under the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:07   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Oops! :P Yeah, it's a re-roll. 4th mindset. I guess you can take at most 2.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

so not very useful at all? :-\
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That depends really, if you are really bad at LD rolls or you dont have some sort of LD buffer in the squad they are really good. If you put a commissar in each for instance (or another LD buffing guy), they are less so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Under new codex, they're useful for the order rerolls.

Your regular Ld8 squad (remember: officers don't extend their Ld to nearby squads any more) you'll have a 28% chance of failing an order normally.

With a Vox Caster, your chances of failing an order drops to 7.7%.

Interesting thought:

An Officer can give an order to his own squad, and it can reroll the failed Ld test if it has a vox caster.

However, the Lukas Bastonne Veteran upgrade character can give his own squad orders. He's not an Officer though, and Vox casters only work when Officers issue an order. Therefore you can't re-roll the same-squad order in this case.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

As I read the rulebook I don't think Officer's can re-roll orders given to their own squads. The rulebook states that vox-casters can only allow friendly units to reroll the test, not the Officer's own squad.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 11:26   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonga Khan
so not very useful at all? :-\
I guess I didn't explain that well. For me, I combine my entire platoon's Infantry Squad into one massive 50-man squad thus I only take one for each platoon. This way; I get the most out of my Orders.