Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cracking Down on Posting Habits
Old 26 Apr 2009, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Cracking Down on Posting Habits

Hello everyone,

Recently, there has been a forum-wide significant drop in posting quality. With the upcoming release of the new codex, we are likely to have an influence of members, new and old, to the IG board.

Currently, I'm the only frequently active moderator of the IG board, and I am finding it difficult to either edit a member's posts or constantly delete off topic/one liner posts.

Let's make it easy on all of us.
When creating a thread, keep these points in mind:
-The purpose should be concise and to the point. Being too general makes it difficult for other members to give relevant or realistic advice. Avoid open ended questions. If you don't even have an idea what you want - you shouldn't be creating a thread about it.
-Check to see if the same thing has been mentioned before in a previous thread. I would much rather see people add some information to an older thread then create a new one to ask the same question.
-Abide by the forums rules for post quality. Please practice proper punctuation, capitalization and avoid short forms or "txt speak".
-If you have multiple ideas, please place them all in one thread instead of creating several new ones. And please remember all members have the ability to edit their own posts, so you can always add new details in later on if necessary.

When replying to another poster:
-Please stay pleasent and detached. Emotional posts often degenerate to flaming or flame baiting and is bothersome for everyone.
-Keep your replies on topic. As much as it may be interesting, no one particularly cares about anything irrelevant to the topic.
-Avoid multi-posting and necromancy.
-Spamming, and simple one line responses should be avoided.

A general note on posting about the new codex:
-Please avoid posting stats, stat lines or post costs. This sort of information is copyright Games Workshop and can get the forum in legal trouble for breaching Games Workshop's Intellectual Property policy.
-Any rumours, or question about rumours, should be posted in the relevent thread in the Rumours board.
-Multiple threads may already be made to cover the same topic you intend to post about. Please use the search function before creating another thread.

To help enforce these rules, you may see me doing several things. I may delete your posts outright, modify your post, lock threads, or even make necessary changes and leave a little footnote, like this.
Breaches in forums rules over posting quality will result in an official warning, which will bump up your warning percentage, and send you a notification. Repeated offences may result in smites, or a temporary silencing of your account if your warning percentage gets too high.

Anyways, I think I've covered everything. I consider myself a pretty forgiving guy, but if you have an grievances or feel over-moderated, please don't hesitate to send me a message. As a moderator, I'm not restricted to being the janitor only. Please feel free to contact me for anything - forum related or not. Please note members have access to the "flag for moderators" button - which I really appreciate when people use. Makes my life a lot simpler.

This post will be left open for several weeks, and a copy will be posted in the stickied announcements thread. Any questions, comments or concerns, or if I've missed anything, please post here.

Appreciated,

AC
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Cracking Down on Posting Habits

Maybe we should an FAQ thread like they have in the Eldar Boards.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

You mean this one?
:P
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:22   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
You mean this one?
:P
Your fault for not making it more obvious :P But seriously, nobody will notice it nor will see their questions as FAQs and furthermore it's a [Draft], we probably need to make it more complete but then again, who bothers to read the stickies or search for the topics if they didn't bother reading the rules?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 13:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I understand the need to crack down but I was warned for spam, when nothing I've done lately could even marginally be considered spam. For grammar, maybe, if you are counting Capitalization and punctuation in one sentence posts. But still, you don't need to be going after every tiny little detail, unless your goal is to chase off the new recruits.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 13:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
I understand the need to crack down but I was warned for spam, when nothing I've done lately could even marginally be considered spam. For grammar, maybe, if you are counting Capitalization and punctuation in one sentence posts. But still, you don't need to be going after every tiny little detail, unless your goal is to chase off the new recruits.
You answered your own question really.

If you read the rules about posting you will see that indeed, proper punctuation, proper capitalisation fall under proper grammar. Also members should make an effort to write more then one-liners -which can be consider spam- since this is a forum, not a chatroom. So if they don't have time now, they can always come back and write a proper post later.

The goal is not to chase off newcomers, they are usually reminded of the rules by the moderator or another member, but a sitewide cleaning to make sure TO remains an enjoyable forum and to remind established member that they also have a part to play in the success or failure of the forum.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 13:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I know bad grammar's not tolerated but my point was that it was for spam. And I hope you'll excuse bit of bad grammar, as I am NOT a literature major, I am a physics/ engineering major.

As a side note, when did you get turned into a moderator boneguard? It's about dang time. You gonefishing, and USAFTACP have always been really helpful.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Specifically, I don't know. In general, too many one-liners will be consider spam, sometime off topic will be consider spam, smiley obverdose, etc. those are a couple exemple.

As for grammar: we understand that not everyone speak English as a mother language, they have different level of scholarity some highschool student, university, adults, etc.) different field of interest. However we simply ask them to make an effort to post coherent sentence, capitalise when needed, put the right punctuation (at least a period (.)) don't spam on the smiley or Chatspeak and use the spellchecker, to make sure their post are easy to read.

A few mistake, we can let it slide; too many or repeated offends, not so.

As for your sidenote, I got named a month ago (or thereabout) to cover for the minor races board.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I know bad grammar's not tolerated but my point was that it was for spam. And I hope you'll excuse bit of bad grammar, as I am NOT a literature major, I am a physics/ engineering major.
Everyone is taught proper grammar in school. You don't have to be a lit major to be able to spell correctly and use proper punctuation. I don't think that they mean to go over every single post and warn if they seem a little sub-par, however if it's a common thing with a particular person's posts then I think it's worth addressing. Really it just helps everyone because there have been some people that just type in one very long sentence with no punctuation, paragraphs, or anything like that and those posts are just very hard to read and pretty frustrating to see a lot.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Recently, there has been a forum-wide significant drop in posting quality. With the upcoming release of the new codex, we are likely to have an influence of members, new and old, to the IG board.
I hope that you are kind to new members who are a little younger and inexperienced. It should not be your task alone but it seems you drew the straw. I hope you are both kind and strict to the new recruits and returning members. I'm sure it woill sort itself out with your direction.

It is imperative for the 'old timers' from whatever board they are used to inhabiting, to set examples of what we like to see in a posts. I'm not suggesting that we act as moderators but perhaps we can help you steer the new influx towards proper posting habits with a few suggestions delivered gently and persuasively. I'll be on my best behavior when posting here for the next little while to avoid any misconceptions of what a good post should look like.

I'm sure you have the support of the community as we all want the Imperial Guard board to be as good as it can be ( hmmm ... sounds like a familiar commercial).
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote