Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG bandwagon? Hardly
Old 23 Apr 2009, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default IG bandwagon? Hardly

Recently, I've heard a lot of complaints about the new Imperial Guard codex. The force organization chart, the return of all those sweet characters and vehicles in a new 5th edition light. Many people are predicting there's going to be a bunch of bums getting the guard army to be cheesy and lame. There'll partially right. There's awesome stuff in this codex, but nothing is unstoppable. But how do we prevent these accusations of mass produced cheese and bandwagon syndrome.

What I'm trying to say, my fellow officers, is to give your guard some love. I know there's people aplenty out there who buy a bunch of guard, slap together some tanks, and get bored of spray-painting them. I've had my guard regiment for a couple years, and they're all painted. I have back stories for some of them, and nicknames for many. I know there's also some guys on the site that enjoy naming their tanks. That's what I'm talking about: giving the army some personality. Above all I think it's important to paint them. If you agree then keep it up! It feels great to lay down 100+ fully painted models and a few camoflouged tanks.

For all the people who are really psyched about the new guard, I say get all of them you can and have fun!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 22:59   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: IG bandwagon? Hardly

I have to agree with you alot of people will be joining guard because of all the new goodies we just got, lol as for the painting thing, well I have really never had a time to sit down and finish painting all of these guard that I have which isnt much but considering to have a good army you need quite a few guardsmen and doing a good paint job on a 100+ models is... Time consuming :
Old 23 Apr 2009, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The IG bandwagon is a great thing to happen for more dedicated guard players.

After the ork bandwagon died at my local shop there was a huge increase in second hand orks being sold off for 10-40% of their original price. Same thing happened with the new Space Marine codex and with every other codex.

In one or two months, when the ''bums'' will be tired of guard or moving onto the new new codex we will have access to cheap and mostly unpainted/un-assembled guard models and that's always nice.

That is why, I support the bandwagon for 2009 IG even if we do get bad reputation for a short period of time.
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Bah! Despite the claims of cheese, the old 100+ Guardsmen + 3 Tanks shall always be the foundation of any successful Guardsmen. Yes, I agree that Bums will start appearing to try to get out of the most of the Guard Codex but as levincent said, they'll start to get bored of the Guard and move on. Leaving the True Guard. I'm not much of a painter but I do see the importance. Now, it's my Semester Break, I'll be painting them Guardsmen.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Yes, I agree that Bums will start appearing to try to get out of the most of the Guard Codex
That's a bit harsh. I like the new codex. I haven't played guard or Inquisition in over a year. I do have an FW Elysian force and a small city fight force and a lot of Inquisition. I'm not restarting guard (other then building an army for a friend) but you will get new players that will stick. On the Ork boards many new recruits stuck around.

I always switch up my armies. I've been doing it for over ten years. Between myself and my friends I can get my hands on most things if I choose to play it - for myself I sold off over 2000 dollars worth of armies over the past year trying to tighten up and get some cash.

I'm playing mostly Eldar now and will do so until I'm bored with my lists once again. One of my first armies was Harlequins when they were actually a legal army. That doean't mean I'm not curious about what can be done with the new Guard codex. Know Thy Enemy. I'll be looking in here to see what the new tough lists are so I'm prepared to fight hoomies.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can always tell the difference. It takes me about a week or so just to finish once squad of guardsmen. I take my time to make sure they're fully painted and look great. I never play with a model before it's 100% painted. When I put down a fully and above TT-quality army down next to a heap of grey guardsmen with WAY too much glue holding them together you'll be able to tell.

Personally I don't mind if people want to start IG because of the codex. I really don't care what anyone else does. I'm too picky about 2nd hand models to buy anything that's already assembled or painted so I won't benefit from people selling things cheap.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:51   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I predict Air Cavalry Spam myself... that seems to be the thing that gets the attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Well as a new guard player myself I have to say, that for me, the decision was simple, back when I started 40k I went for tau, I wanted to go with guard, but couldn't stand the thought of working for the imperium, the tau weren't much better but at least they made it seem like they were working for the good of all. But I recently saw the manticore was coming to vanilla 40k and decided to go with a traitor guard/ gue'vessa approach, that's how my story of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment came to be (it's in the stories/fluff board). Another part of the decision was just how hard things are for tau at the moment. Because in 5th unless your playing spearhead, you are in close combat by turn 2, and the tau just can't thin the herd quickly enough.

as for the air cav bandwagon, i'm getting a valk but ony for model purposes, I doubt I'll actually be using it. Same for the deathstrike.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

One Valk is all I'll need for a while. If they released a Deathstrike kit I would probably buy it just to paint and put on display.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 17:01   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

@ CanaBebe: Fair enough. Still at least yours has a theme.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote