Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commisar Lord: good or no?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 11:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Commisar Lord: good or no?

Okay, Two quick questions about the commisar lord, does it count as your 1+ HQ choice, and is it any good?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:13   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Commisar Lord: good or no?

Yes, the Lord Commissar can be your compulsory 1 HQ Choice. Whether is good? Depends. For the same cost-point, you can buy 2 Commissars and attach them to the Infantry Squads in which you combined all the Infantry Squad thus maximizing the use of the Commissar. Lord Commissars can't issue Orders but he can be attached to a unit so he can be singled out during the Shooting Phase. Also, one of it's Special Rules help by using the Lord Commissar's Ld10 instead of the unit's own Ld which is usually Ld8. I say Lord Commissar is best when complementing Command Squads especially Company Command Squad. If you're looking for a lone HQ, why not the Primaris Psyker?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whoa, holy cow, what about a techpriest.... why do guard have so many good HQ choices.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
Whoa, holy cow, what about a techpriest....
Techpriest doesn't take up a HQ slot so they can't count as one of your compulsory HQ choices. Guard has 3 HQ choices that can be used as a compulsory HQ choices while another 2 doesn't take up a HQ slot but counts as HQ for intents and purposes.

Quote:
why do guard have so many good HQ choices.
It's the 5th Edition...
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

But back when I was playing tau, we had 1 choice, 3 counting special characters.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:53   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
But back when I was playing tau, we had 1 choice, 3 counting special characters.
Like I said, 5th Edition....trend....
Old 21 Apr 2009, 22:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Only 3 are really HQ units, the cog-boys and emperor-botherers are only HQ for deployment and scoring purposes, of those the only choice could be argued to be commissar lord or primaris pskyer, without the command squad you lose some very useful orders and abilities from the advisers a lot of players won't give them up.
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 22:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

The Commissar Lord is more useful if you're building a close assault army than the company commander. His improved leadership and aura combine to make your army very hard to shift from where they're standing. That being said, he's more of a support HQ, much like the Primaris Psyker. Think of the Commissar General as the Chaplain for the IG and the Primaris as their Librarian while the Company Command Squad is the utilitarian middleground.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 01:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just a thought,

The Primaris psyker only takes up one, of the five slots (gun ports) of a chimera. Combine him with three Veterans special weapons/ or even four heavy weapon teams (that can fire out of the five gun ports) and you have a fairly nifty mobile fire base.

On topic, the commissar Lord would be good with a group of Ogryns in a Chimera as a nasty assault unit against dug in rear echelon units like Looters and devastator squads.

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
He had 2...

Commander crisis suit and an ethereal (lol)

So as good as one choice

Anyway, personally I'd rather take the command squad or buy 2 commisars. If I were going to play guard, I'd like to make sure I had a reliable army that wouldn't leg it as soon as they lost a few models (lol, tau).