Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

quick question about the new codex
Old 18 Apr 2009, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default quick question about the new codex

Do the imperial guard still need to form a platoon to take up a FOC? if so is it still the 5 man command squad and 2 normal squads to make a platoon? If its not the same how is it done?

edit: and have they gotten rid of armored fist squads?

The reason i'm asking is i'm thinking about getting back into guard, and i was trying to figure what i would need to get a small army going. Essentially i am hoping to avoid having to buy 4 boxes of guardsmen

thanks
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: quick question about the new codex

Buy the guardsmen now! They are going up in price an incredible amount.

Yes, platoons still require the minimum they did before, they are ust able to become much larger now.

No more AF squads, (thankfully) however I beleive you can field a squad of veterans as troops ans give them a Chimera so you can still run a similar setup.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks, are the vostroyans going up in price as well? their metal already so they're pretty expensive, but i wanted something different from cadian and catachans. Nonetheless it means i have to buy 4 boxes of guys which is slightly annoying... oh well.

thanks for your help.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
Old 19 Apr 2009, 04:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No real word on metal squads. There's a general price increase in June but nothing specific yet other than all Battleforces & their WFB equivilant will be going up 5 USD.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 04:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

As for your original question, yes, infantry platoons consist of a command squad and between two to 6 ten-man infantry squads. You can, however take a ten-man veteran squad, or a Penal Legion squad of ten men.

All three choices have very interesting abilities and options, with the veterans having 'doctrines' and the penal legion getting a random bonus each game. Adding to this are heavy weapons teams, special weapons teams, and conscripts as optional troops choices. They are all very similar to the old dex as far as numbers go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Its a max of five infantry squads, not six, plus all the support units that used to be available to command platoons ae now available to infantry platoons instead, plus conscripts. Armoured fist squads are essentially gone, but any squad in an infantry platoon has chimera access. You also have the option to take veterans as troops now too.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah that makes me feel better, i just remember the old codex meant that to have the most basic army of 1 hq and 2 troops, you had to have almost 60 guardsmen. But the new style sounds good, thanks alot for clearing that up everyone.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That actually hasn't changed much. Your standard guard army will still need the minimum 2 troop FOC's consisting of 1 command squad and 2 infantry squads. However there are options to take veterans as troops and penal squads, these end up being quite expensive though. I'm unsure if there is a corelation regarding the number of non-platoon FOC squads to platoon FOC's. I haven't gotten a good look at the codex yet, I'm saving the surprises for when I get my hands on my own copy. (Plus all the ones around here are in German :P)

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 03:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think i am going to pay a visit to my local GW tommorow morning and have a look at the codex, if they even have any. I might buy the codex and just read it, see if i want to return to the guard or not.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 04:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
That actually hasn't changed much. Your standard guard army will still need the minimum 2 troop FOC's consisting of 1 command squad and 2 infantry squads. However there are options to take veterans as troops and penal squads, these end up being quite expensive though. I'm unsure if there is a corelation regarding the number of non-platoon FOC squads to platoon FOC's. I haven't gotten a good look at the codex yet, I'm saving the surprises for when I get my hands on my own copy. (Plus all the ones around here are in German :P)
No. that was my point. It has changed. You don't have to take any infantry platoons at all if you don't want to (although outside of incredibly small games this is a very bad idea in my opinion as huge platoons are the real powerhouse of the new guard). You could use veterans as your cumpulsory troops if you wanted to.