Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where to put Heavy Weapons?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Where to put Heavy Weapons?

I have been contemplating this question recently, now bear in mind I am talking about the Old Codex here, but as Heavy Weapon squads are available as troop choices in the next codex this question also applies to it.

My question is

Where is it safest, most effecient, and most effective place to put Heavy Weapons (Infantry wise)??
I can decide whether regular squads should have the Heavy Weapons or whether to use pure Heavy Weapon Squads and use special weapons in the main squads. As with Heavy Weapons in normal squads you usually waste the other 8 members of the squad since they are usually not in range, and if its an anti tank heavy weapon a lazgun is utterly pointless to be shooting with it. I fear however in a squad of just Heavy Weapons casualties might be taken a lot faster, since theres only six guardsmen and the Opponent will likely focus more attention on them.

I intend on trying to use Heavy Weapon squads this week at my gaming club to test it, but I wanted advise from you fellows as well.

Thanks, The Gnome Speaks

Timokrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Where to put Heavy Weapons?

I recommend putting them in your pure heavy squads since in 5th edition troops need to move for 2/3 game types. to claim them objectives, no need to waste points by not having them fire or not have troops doing what they should by being slow.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To be honest I don't actually play Guard, but I have a Renegades army, and I also played many battles against the Guard. So, in my opinion heavy weapons should go in the normal squads. Those 8 men (or, more accurately, 9 - as the loader is just a normal Guardsman game-wise) are not wasted, because they provide much needed shielding for the big gun. Making heavy weapon squads not only makes those heavy weapons more vulnerable, but it also weight on the FOC - which might or might not be a problem.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, if you are going for a gunline with no mounted troops, I agree with genocide. You can just give them cover saves with a load of troops, no problem.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am kind of saying form the opposite of a gun line, you need your troops moving no matter what the game is in general, heavy weapons in their own squads would benefit greatly from the new orders, and they now count as a part of your infantry platoon so the foc slot is not a problem.

If you are someone that strictly plays kill points then i recommend using heavy weapons in the infantry squads because they you have the additional wounds, a large platoon like say 50 guardsmen with 5 heavy bolters and 4 plasma guns would benefit from a twin-linked order, however in general if you're going to play all of the game variants then i recommend giving them their own squad hidding them in cover and putting a command platoon near them to have them twin linking and making those fools re-roll their coversaves.

This becomes even more important if you like mortars, keep them hidden in a building, out of line of sight and drop fire from the heavens ignoring their precious coversaves!!!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm with genocide on that one. Keep the 10man squads mobile with a flamer or grenade launcher. In 5th ed you need those troop moving around for objectives. I put my heavy weapons in the heavy squads (yay point cost drop) and keep the enemy busy with the advancing sea of bodies and tanks.
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by levincent
I'm with genocide on that one. Keep the 10man squads mobile with a flamer or grenade launcher. In 5th ed you need those troop moving around for objectives. I put my heavy weapons in the heavy squads (yay point cost drop) and keep the enemy busy with the advancing sea of bodies and tanks.
The point is, you get so many squads that you can devote some to heavy weapons. Of course, it doesn't stop you from taking heavy weapon teams, too.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

You're going to want a mix. Especially in the new codex. My long term goal for the new codex is going to be a large infantry force (12-14 infantry squads) Split into 2 platoons of 5 and one with the leftovers. The 5 squad platoons will then have 4 squas each with special weapons and 1 with a heavy weapon. The special weapon squads will form 20 man objective grabber units. The 3rd platoon will all have heavy weapons and form on large unit as an anchor for the handful of smaller support squads I'll have on my backline. I think with the new rules though anti-infantry heavy weapons will be better used in large infantry squads like this while your AT weapons might be best off in support squads recieveing a TAKE IT DOWN order on enemy large targets every turn (although 5 infantry squads with lascannons formed into one large mass could make an absolutely unstoppable tank killer unit like this, especially with TAKE IT DOWN applied to them)
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:26   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I still arm my Infantry Squads with Plasma Gun/Meltagun and Autocannon/Lascannon. I want to kill my opponent's units first before I get out my trench and start legging it for the objectives. Doesn't do good if we just jump out of cover when there's still a viable threat on the tabletop.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 17:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It depends on the player, but personally, I want to run quickly to objectives, whilst the Heavy Weapons get into position, and provide that much needed fire support, I'd take the Special Weapons too just in case the enemy gets too close for comfort, at least then, the Infantry can put up a fight.

Furthermore, I'd try to 'swamp' the objective(s) with about 2-3 squads, so if one squad gets wiped out, you still have the other squads who can hold, and maybe just in time when the Heavy Weapons give the enemy some payback.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote