Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition Imperial Guard Codex Discussion Thread
Old 14 Apr 2009, 13:58   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 5th Edition Imperial Guard Codex Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Well the SS have a pistol + CCW, whereas before they didn't. So in this case it's listed so they can get that extra attack.
An unfortunate choice of acronym perhaps, then again, the Waffen SS were para-trained. I just have strange images in my head when you refer to them as SS :P

That aside:
Please note that most of the heavy weapons points costs increase for HW teams (with the exception of Mortars - which are more expensive, and HB/AC which are the same, I think). ML and LC are cheaper when fielded in infantry squads as opposed to their HW Squads. This will lead to me keeping my Lascannons in Infantry Squads. I will have more mortars for certain, fielded in HW teams, preferably on an objective and firing indirectly, protected by mutually supporting HB/AC squads in case of a breakthrough or outflanking maneouvres.
Remember that

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:08   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
An unfortunate choice of acronym perhaps, then again, the Waffen SS were para-trained. I just have strange images in my head when you refer to them as SS :P

That aside:
Please note that most of the heavy weapons points costs increase for HW teams (with the exception of Mortars - which are more expensive, and HB/AC which are the same, I think). ML and LC are cheaper when fielded in infantry squads as opposed to their HW Squads. This will lead to me keeping my Lascannons in Infantry Squads. I will have more mortars for certain, fielded in HW teams, preferably on an objective and firing indirectly, protected by mutually supporting HB/AC squads in case of a breakthrough or outflanking maneouvres.
Remember that
Please please please never refer to anything related to WW2 ever again. I'm tired of that.

HW teams are all cheaper now, none of them went up in points.

Quote:
Oh my!

My callidus assassin killed your astropath and fleet advisor. Again.

Cheap inquisitor + Callidus assassin = Win.
Mobile command vehicle ftw. Oh noes your Assassin just ate 100 lasgun shots!

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:22   #23 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Quote:
Oh my!

My callidus assassin killed your astropath and fleet advisor. Again.

Cheap inquisitor + Callidus assassin = Win.
Mobile command vehicle ftw. Oh noes your Assassin just ate 100 lasgun shots!
That saying....

The Inquisition will benefit quite well from the new IG codex, as now they have something of a rather nasty combo that they can do with Imperial Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 16:33   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

The assassins always end up dying by fifty bazillion basic weapon rounds to the face, but that's always too little too late for whatever poor sod is unfortunate enough to be standing next to the spawn point.

The inquisition are in your army list, stealing your choices. As always. ;D
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 17:40   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
The assassins always end up dying by fifty bazillion basic weapon rounds to the face, but that's always too little too late for whatever poor sod is unfortunate enough to be standing next to the spawn point.
As long as my HQ is protected in my command Chimera I don't mind whoever else gets killed. Certainly won't earn it's points back.

Quote:
The inquisition are in your army list, stealing your choices. As always.
Inq is lucky as they are one of the few armies that can benefit from another armie's codex.

Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:11   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Chimeras are absolutely beautiful now. My Chimeras have dropped thirty points each for the Multilaser/HB variant. Best of all, they are a Mobile Command Vehicle, so Officers can give orders out of them! Huzzah!

The Leman Russ price hike makes me sad... but then again I'll be letting fly with all four guns now, so that will make my opponent sad as well!

Finally, let us all shed a tear for the Vanquisher; she is Klkn now. If she were Bs 4 she'd be worth taking, but a Bs 3 Vanquisher just won't cut it, and she can do sod-all to infantry now.

The Griffon, by contrast, got more awesome. It's the same points as ever, same stats as ever, but you can re-roll the scatter dice! Woohoo!

The Hydra I liked. It's the same cost as the Griffon, and negates Cover Saves caused by Turbo-Boosting / Fast Moving Skimmers. Quite handy, save for the fact most bikers have a 3+ save, or generate an additional 4+ Cover Save... so it's only good against Scout Bikers or Dark Eldar Jetbikes. Still, being able to gun down the occasional Fast Skimmer is tempting.

The Deathstrike... it's mental. She's got a range of 80'. Yes, eighty feet! It has a rule called "T-Minus Five Minutes And Counting..." where you have to roll to see when it launches. You can't destroy the missile either; you just give negative modifiers to the launch roll.

When it does launch... bloody hell. It creates a blast with a radius of D3+3", everything hit takes a Str 10 hit (even vehicles; it doesn't have a 'central hole&#39, it's AP 1 and it ignores Cover. The phrase "boom" doesn't quite do it justice.

The Valkyrie is fun, but I still say it shouldn't be a skimmer. The Vendetta is just a Valkyrie with a Lascannon fetish. Orders look good on paper, but I'm questioning how well it'll handle on the tabletop.

The Advisors remain my favourite point. Astropaths boost your Reserve Rolls, Fleet Advisors K'chau'k your opponent's Reserve Rolls. Combined, the Guard can out-maneuver every other force in 40K, and reduce these Drop Podders, Deathwingers, Daemon Hordes, Master Strategist and Ninja Tau armies to a bunch of stumbling idiots who arrive piecemeal to get butchered.
Take note though wargamer that there's a special character tank ace that bumps BS and does something else to improve vehicle klling power.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:41   #27 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nasty bastards the guardsmen become has! All other wary will have to be...

Well, after reading BoLS reaction, I am both happy about the prospect of getting some nice extra firepower to my Sisters of Battle, but at the same time I would almost feel bad about it!
You can now make really nice armies with that. Make your own sweet and fluffy forces. But my good how many will not do their best to been every ounce of cheese out of that army list!

My poor fledling orkz where hoping to be able to make it to a tournament next year, just to show of. I guess with all them guards running around (unless the Space wolves turns out equaly nasty) they will have the prospects of a snowball in hell since I will not have any silly nooob bikers.
(They don´t fit in the theme of Kellys heroes) but I love to customize my own vehicles.

Ah, once again aries the conflict between the casual gamer and the hard core tournament gamer. Happily I only play against my son for the moment, but knowing what I might be up against in a regular club makes me less inclined to seek out other players.

At the same time... I love the Guards! I really do. But now the emotion is getting mixed with feelings of accusation about messing around with cheese.

Those who has seen the dex and know it better. How easy is it to break it? What should one avoid so you will not get accused for being evil?
By the way, what is the freaking point of the Deathstrike? Eh... what is the fun in that?

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 19:32   #28 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think this has been discussed yet, but what about the Techpriest and Ratlings? Have they been improved from the 4th Edition Codex?

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 19:47   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
I don't think this has been discussed yet, but what about the Techpriest and Ratlings? Have they been improved from the 4th Edition Codex?
I think both of those units have been useless for so long that nobody even thinks to use them anymore no matter what lol

Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:31   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I'm actually quite fond of ratlings. They make a good sniper unit to deal with high T enemies. They're cheaper now, and basically exactly the same as they used to be. I haven't really looked at the techpriest entry yet.