Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New codex new army
Old 10 Apr 2009, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New codex new army

I want to start a 1.5k guard army. I want to do catachans..... also there is nothing in the codex that says they cant take commisars.... so i will take them. I want a steady balance between artillery and tanks and troops, i realize this will not happen until later in the point value. And also i don't think that the new regimental advisers will fit in with catachans..... but i think i can fix that. Any ideas?

taubroadsidecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New codex new army

You're going to have to provide more detail then that. You cannot simply post in such a vague manner - no one will answer. Give us some more detail. Do you want to include tanks, or not? Do you prefer smaller more elite forces or large amounts of basic infantry?

Help us help you.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 09:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
Help us help you.
Just as AC said, give us a bit more detail please. So we can help you.

Do you like the background of the Cadians (link here!), or the Catachans? (linky here!)

What sort of army do you want? An Infantry, Mechanized, or even a Tank Force? How many points are you thinking of doing?

For example:

"I like the Catachans because of their background, and their models, so I'm hoping do to a small force of them when the new IG codex comes out. Possibly starting at 1k, then expanding it to a 1.5k force.

I'm thinking of doing an Infantry force, backed up by Heavy Weapons and Tanks, maybe with some Artillery for some fire support, what are your thoughts?"

Something like that would be much help to us, as it explains to us which Regiment you like, what sort of force you like, and what you are thinking of taking in that force. Then you could say, "What are your thoughts?" so that other members could give their point of view on what you've said, perhaps giving you a pointer or two, and maybe recommending units etc.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

If you want to go true catachans, or close to what the old Catachan codex was, there are a few units that stand out.

You can field veterans as one squad per troop choice, and give them the "Reconnaissance" trait to make them behave like catachans did by having them infiltrate and "move though cover". Also veterans can get a heavy flamer, like units from the old Catachan Codex. Sentinels also play a big part in a catachan army because they rely on sentinels to bring most of the heavy weapons while the infantry is mobile and moving though cover. Sentinels jut got a whole lot better in the new codex.

Fluff wise Catachans don't really use tanks because they don't do so good in thick jungles.

That is how I would field a pure catachan army, but there is no reason they can't be backed up by tanks/artillery from another regiment.

Oh yea, Catachans also used Ogryns. There are also 3 Catachan characters in the new codex, Marbo, Harker and Iron Hand... S... something.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken I think is who you're referring to.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 05:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sly Morbo is a pretty badass character. I think we'll be seeing a lot of him on the table, racking up kills left and right.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Pretty sure we'll see him and "I can't believe its not a space marine" Straken in many, many armys.
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that many guard players will soon be able to say with glee "You have been Marbo'ed" as their opponents stare in shock at the pile of men (or aliens, etc) they are removing as he runs amok in their lines > this will be fun, very fun...

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
Shasau Rmyr is offline   Reply With Quote