Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Swamp Imperial Guard
Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Swamp Imperial Guard

Hi,
I'm thinking of doing imperial guard when the new codex comes out, but I don't want my force to look like everybody else's. I though a Swamp Mechanized Company was a cool idea, and I found some minis I think will go very well. I'd like to recieve some CC on my idea's, so here goes:

Chimera

The armies vehicles will be hovercraft, as this fits the swamp theme really well. The Chimera's amphibious rule works excellent here, and I have 3 turret options to choose from. At 4 1/2" long, it ought to be the ideal size for a transport, and not to long for a Chimera.

Leman Russ Executioner

Agan a hovercraft, with what looks like a Twin-Linked autocannon, this make an excellent LRE. Unfortunately there are no sponsons, but it may be possible to model some onto the vehicle.

Leman Russ

Again a hovercraft, Standard turret caters for normal, heavy 20, and possibly another mode, with a pintle Heavy Stubber. Missile mode I'm not sure about, but I'm sure there's something it could do. I'm not sure about the mixed turret, other than that it could be a Leman Russ Annihilator, if the guns were railgun type-things. Comms version works well as a Salamander command vehicle.

Allied Inquisitorial Land Raider (maybe)

The support Turret option allows both a LR and rusader to be built, with advanced targetting systems representing the fact the Lascannons are twin-linked. This probably won't be used in most games, but it is an option and the model is cool, as welll as being as cheap as the rest of the force. (LR = 9, CHIMERA = 10, this = 21)

Autocannon Sentinels

Light Scout Vehicles, these represnt Sentinels with Autocannons. The CC ability is represented by the fact only trainees who need to be punished drive these, and they are usually mad and will run people over! I thought the weapons best represented Autocannons, but maybe they should be something else?

Valkrie

Just to cool to pass up, this huge aircraft represents the command squads Valkrie. It has a nose mounted Lascannon/Mini-Railgun and I think I'll buy some rocket pods to go under the wings.

Basilisk

I needed some self-propelled artillery, and this looked as similar to a Basilisk as I'd get. A bit of converting will be required for the hull Heavy Bolter, but otherwise it looks fine. I'll be attaching accesirries to this, as with all the vehicles, but this will probably be quite heavily upgraded, with chains, ammo boxes, fuel drums and grab handles.

Transport Truck

This is a really coll model, so I don't want to pass up, but it'll obviouly be a house rules unit. I might also give it the equivelent of a pintle-Mounted Heavy Stubber, so its at least armed.

Tank

Not sure what to use this for, but i like the model so I thought i'd put it up here anyway.

I'll probably add rivets and bolt to all my models, to make them look more Guardish, but there won't be any major changes otherwise. So, what do you think?
Cam
P.S All of these models have a Tracked/Wheeled version, and most have an anti-grav version to, so they're ideal models if you looking to cheaply expand you armoured force.
ultimatedragonlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Swamp Imperial Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatedragonlord
I'll probably add rivets and bolt to all my models, to make them look more Guardish, but there won't be any major changes otherwise.
You don't need to add rivets to them. Hell, even riveted Leman Russes are a rarity.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Looks cool! The only thing you'll need to worry about is tournament play. Most GW tournaments do not allow any models that aren't either 100% custom sculpted, or at least 50% GW parts. They pretty solidly don't allow models from other companies to be used in their tournaments.

If you aren't a tournament player, no problem! If you are, be sure to check with the tournament organizers of any tournaments you intend to play in to see if they'll allow third party models.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I nearly always play at my School warhammer club, and the Teacher in charge is cool with the idea, so I should be OK. If I go in a GW store, will I be able to play as long as its not a Tourney? I live in Nottingham so I like to be able to play a WW, and I know the Friar Lane guys really well so I suspect a few of them would like to see this. Do you think the Basilisk and tank are a bit to rounded to be IG vehicles? They come from a different range to the rest of the stuff and don't have the same blocky feel as the rest of the vehicles.

One last question: The scout vehicles i'm using as sentinels are a bit long, do you think this will be a problem? I hope not because I like the sentinel rules, but the standard sentinel doesn't fit in with my theme and its unusual that a standed IG regiment would have all custom vehicles apart from Their sentinels.

Cam
Old 31 Mar 2009, 18:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Do you think the Basilisk and tank are a bit to rounded to be IG vehicles? They come from a different range to the rest of the stuff and don't have the same blocky feel as the rest of the vehicles.
Nah. They could be locally produced vehicles, specially made for fighting in heavy swamps.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like all of the models, except for your Valkyrie. It just looks too blocky.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Before you jump right in, a note on Valkyries... they are not available as dedicated transports in the new codex. They come as a squadron of 1-3 as a Fast attack choice (which means they must follow Squadron rules, including maintaining coherency). However, as a transport, any unit can start inside them.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I realise that, but aside from Sentinels suddenly taking up 1 FOC slot each, I'll have plenty of space. I may build it as a vendetta instead, as otherwise my force lacks anti-tank. This could easily be achieved using spare parts.
Anyway, thanks for looking, and anyone who has any questions or aything, fire away,
Cam
Old 31 Mar 2009, 21:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I realise that, but aside from Sentinels suddenly taking up 1 FOC slot each, I'll have plenty of space. I may build it as a vendetta instead, as otherwise my force lacks anti-tank. This could easily be achieved using spare parts.
Sentinels are still squadrons of 1-3 like before, just no free squadron attached to HQ.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 23:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, that's really cool, it'll be neat to see a finished painted army.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote