Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who came first...
Closed Thread
Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Who came first...

All right now, after watching the 3 Starship Trooper movies then going to the local hobby shop, I noticed a striking resemblence between Cadians and the Infantry. Can anyone explain this to me, or is it just coincidence?

ST

IG
You should know this
Old 27 Mar 2009, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Fingon
Default Re: Who came first...

I'm pretty sure the cadains were first. Or atleast thats what I heard.

How does one kill that which has no life?

The statement below is false
----------------------------
The statement above is true
Old 27 Mar 2009, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

well i think that starship troopers came first in the books

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
The book featured no one that looked anything like the modern Cadian mini's. In fact, the book's Mobile Infantry were power armor clad, flying, death-dealing, gods of war closer in resemblance to Space Marines. :P

I do believe that the Starship Troopers movie came out before the current Cadians. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the current Cadians came out in 2003* where as the Starship Troopers movie came out in 1997.

Hope that helps,

-Grandpa Ducky

*Assuming they came out either with the second Third Edition IG Codex (seeing as in the first Third Edition codex that the Cadians are still the old Cadians) or as a part of the Eye of Terror campaign (since this was the first time they were really brought into the spotlight, getting their own Cadian Shock Trooper army list and all...).

Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Cadians (ie: the metal ones) were out for ages before Starship Troopers.

And the Cadians themselves are arguably based on the Necromundan Guard models from Rogue Trader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
The book featured no one that looked anything like the modern Cadian mini's. In fact, the book's Mobile Infantry were power armor clad, flying, death-dealing, gods of war closer in resemblance to Space Marines. :P
Jet pack wearing, terminator armor clad, tac-nuke carrying, flamethrower wielding, assault rifle firing, laser guided missile launching bad asses that invaded hell, got bored, came back, and then yawn whilst killing entire chapters of terminators is more like it.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

We shall all aspire to be these guys.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well so much for that thread....*sigh*

Thanks GD, mods have your way.....
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

RICO'S ROUGH NECK!!!! oh god, I just figured out what to base my new IG army on..... Heinlein be praised!

just remember boys, MI is all that matters, every one else just hands us the saw.

LET THE TRAITOR'S BLOOD FLOW
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

Heinlien's book was written after world war 2, and its militarian society and government were loosely taken from the way germany had been run, so the book was reduced to cult obscurity in sci-fi terms until late into the last centuary.

As has already been mentioned the Mobile Infantry were drop troops that dropped out of space solo, no drop ships, there armour was all they had. The armour is designed for varying configurations and endurance by swapping the loadouts around. The Mobile Infantry in Heinleins book chewed up bugs more than the bugs chewed up humans.

This like many books written around the period was based on the ideas of how technology would go based upon the rates at which warfare and weaponry had advanced during the last 2 wars. By the time the film was made it was always going to be cheaper to use 'regular' armour sets and people than trying to CGI/make up shed loads of drop armour.

Funnily enough in the 3rd Film.. the Marauder suits are close to the descriptions of the Heinlien MI troops tearing through bugs.

As for the MI appearance being similar to the cadian models, the present incarnations came out after the first film. However cadians were meant to represent generic imperial gaurd models. They are just refinements of older incarnations and the gaurd models from the end of rogue trader/beginning of 2nd Ed still look similar to the MI of the films.

But then originally the IG were modelled on refinements of modern day military equipment, as was the MI uniforms in the movie... what looks just right, futurisitic enough to make it look like future military, but close enough to what we know today to associate with. Hence where the similarities start.
Closed Thread