Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Leman Russ
Old 21 Mar 2009, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Leman Russ

How do you guys protect your leman Russ's, and how would I be able to kill a friends most easily (ok, close combat, but how do I get there?).

Please reply so I can get past all those guardsmen to those annoying tanks!
The Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2009, 17:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Leman Russ

Which army are you using? I'd love to help but without knowing this i can't really help you cause i just use obbliterators and defilers, but i don't think you play Chaos.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Normally, the front hull armour is not too bad at protecting it. If at all possible, I limit which opponents have a clean LOS to it, so I try to make it so I can have cover saves as much as possible. Also, keeping the tank near the back of your formation can make it more difficult to touch. Using multiple other armoured vehicles in a much more 'in your face' manner can also draw fire from the russ to them. A basic Leaman russ, is pretty cheap, thus if it is lost I am not too concerned. I do often take multiple ordinance weapons in my army,just in case one goes down.

Now, the Russ is not the easiest thing to kill, due to his strong hull armour. If you want to kill it, you'll need high strength attacks (anything below S9 is not worth it). You should really try and get shots off into the sides if at all possible (rear if lucky). Mobile or fast, tanks can often bring heavy weapons to bear on the more weaker sides armour. Besides that, meltaguns at close range will stand a good chance of taking them out. Close combat is of course the for-sure way, but the hardest to get to.

For defending agaisnt it? Try and use cover to your advantage. You still get cover from it's blast and a 4+ cover is always better then none at all. Try and screen your units with terrain or fodder units to protect the more important ones.

If it is not a demolisher variant, then models with 2+ saves really have nothing to worry from a battle cannon. So, deepstriking or dropping them within striking range of one can often be relatively 'safe'. The Demolisher Variant does not fear any infantry or any armour, it also has stronger side armour. Cover is vital.

As an aside, monstrous creatures are terribly targets for russes of any variety, and if your chosen army allows them, take 'em.

Perhaps this could be moved to the board of your army of use for further assistance?
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2009, 21:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I usually let my LRBT's run off on their own as I use them primarily as a distraction because they're such high priority targets. If my opponent wants to kill them, he'll have to split his force up which allows my real killers (HW teams) to shine. If he doesn't want to kill them, well then I have some tanks rolling up his flank laying down templates.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2009, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry for tagging onto this topic but I figured that since my question is about the Leman Russ it would be best to post in here than open another topic. I was just wondering are side sponsons and track guards worth the extra points or would I be better off with just the standard Russ upgraded with extra armour?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 02:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Currently I don't bother using extra armor or sponsoons, and I doubt I will in the future unless I use one of the non ordnance variants. They just aren't worth the points imo. LRBT's are already such a high priority target.

Old 22 Mar 2009, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Currently I don't bother using extra armor or sponsoons, and I doubt I will in the future unless I use one of the non ordnance variants. They just aren't worth the points imo. LRBT's are already such a high priority target.
Thanks for the reply I lack the Gaming experience to judge but seeing as how LR's are a high priority target I was kind of sitting on the fence with that one offered by sponsons was worth it but I had my doubts because of the LR's armour. I admit I'm a bit surprised to hear that extra armour is a waste I would have thought down grading crew stunned to crew shaken would come in handy
Old 22 Mar 2009, 03:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, no matter what you still can't shoot so I don't really care if I spent points to let my LRBT move. It has a 6 foot range lol

Old 22 Mar 2009, 03:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Far be it for me to question actual experience, on paper it seemed like a good deal for 5 points I suppose I could find something better to invest those in
Old 22 Mar 2009, 11:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Protecting a Russ becomes much easier if you have more than one. Spread them out, and as USAFTACP mentioned, your opponent will have to split forces to go after them making it easier for you to pick off the targets that you want. If you plan to move them forward you need to hug cover and keep other troops nearby to screen the tank from close combat. If you're just using them to support your advancing troops set them down with their rear armor up against some impassible terrain if possible to keep anything from getting a good hit on the backside of the tank. A Russ with a good firing lane and no fear of hits to its rear armor can be a tough tank to budge.

My favorite tactic is to plant a russ in a defensible position to threaten vulnerable objectives and advance with two of the Demolisher variants. They're tougher nuts for an opponent to crack and tend to draw a lot of fire away from my standard Russ.

As for taking out an opponent's Russ, I would advise deep striking or outflanking troops with melta, fast moving troops with melta (assault marines or bikes perhaps), heavy weapons brought to bear against the side armor, or medium strength weapons brought to bear against the rear. Outflank also helps with this last one. A sentinel squadron or Eldar War Walkers can smoke a Russ that doesn't have a protected rear.

Really, though, if we know what you're playing we can give much more specific advice.