Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Extended carapace - worth it?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 18:14   #11 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Extended carapace - worth it?

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Let's just wait until the Codex itself comes out.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 21:32   #12 (permalink)
Shas'La

I hope Carapace stays, I have 200+ converted Guardsmen with painstakingly sculpted leg and arm plates
Anyway, from the Mathammer point of wiev it is too expensive (I've once estimated about 10%, maybe up to 15% increase of survivability with Carapace Armour)... Yet many times I saw my fellow CSM player to bite his Codex out of frustration, as my Guardsmen refused to die to his bolters and flamers Carapace is particularly frustrating to the enemy if you also have Chem Inhalers and Close Order Drill.
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 00:53   #13 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Carapace is an extremely expensive point sink, especially given the fact that 5th edition is all about cover. Since most cover now gives you a 4+ save, why spend the points? Either add conscripts to act as a shield for your more important troopers, or go with cameoline for half the price.
The new codex will change a lot of this as doctrines will go away. We'll just have to wait and see what the official line is come this time next month.
verirh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2009, 14:16   #14 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have a small elite force of IG fluff wise they are the elite of the military from a planet.. SO they are all trained excellantly, they all have carapace armour, cameoline AND sharpshooters.. It is an incredibly expensive army and i only get 6 or so squads.. but it can sure kick ass.. I have handed SM's, Deathwing and onther horde armies their asses on silver platers and then some with it..

I definatly find that it is worth the costs, but unless you are going to give it to everyone, then don't use it at all apart from officer squads... it just becomes to confusing.

I would recomend cameoline over carapace armour, with the amount of cover saves that are to be had in 5th ed, you can essentailly get a horde SM force with las guns! its brilliant..

Or failing that you could just get many more men.. For the cost of getting carapace armour and cameoline armour for a single squad you should be able t get a whole new squad (Using the rumours for the new codex)

Overall it comes down to how you want your army.. Small and elite.. Definatly worth it.. Large cannon fodder, not worth it...

Hope i helped
Old 09 Apr 2009, 23:41   #15 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Smirnov
I hope Carapace stays, I have 200+ converted Guardsmen with painstakingly sculpted leg and arm plates
Anyway, from the Mathammer point of wiev it is too expensive (I've once estimated about 10%, maybe up to 15% increase of survivability with Carapace Armour)... Yet many times I saw my fellow CSM player to bite his Codex out of frustration, as my Guardsmen refused to die to his bolters and flamers Carapace is particularly frustrating to the enemy if you also have Chem Inhalers and Close Order Drill.
Carapace armor is gone for regular infantry squads in the new codex (as is cameoline). Veterans (squad of 10 as a troops choice) may take Carapace as an upgrade.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:25   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Smirnov
Carapace armor is gone for regular infantry squads in the new codex (as is cameoline). Veterans (squad of 10 as a troops choice) may take Carapace as an upgrade.
FFFFFFUUUUUUU

That's unfortunate, but I guess it makes the guard a bit more balanced in 5th with all the 4+ cover saves and cameleoline.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:16   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Yes, I think so. But anyway, I would have loved the chance to play a Heavy Infantry regiment with the new codex, just for the sake of it. At least, Veterans have it. :P
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:36   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The new codex really allows you to make a small heavily armored, elite guard army, taking 60 vetrens with 3 special weapons and carapace armor each mounted in really cheap chimeras makes a fairly elite fairly tough guard army.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:47   #19 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Genocide
The new codex really allows you to make a small heavily armored, elite guard army, taking 60 vetrens with 3 special weapons and carapace armor each mounted in really cheap chimeras makes a fairly elite fairly tough guard army.
A friend of mine who plays Vostroyans is making some lists up. His latest is an elite mechanized/armoured force, comprised of 3 squads of Vets in Chimeras, each with Lascannon and 3x Plasma + Plasma Pistol, 2 hellhounds, 3 russes and a demolisher, led by a Lord Commisar and accompanied by a techpriest, for 2000 points. He also loaded up heavily on upgrades.

That's 9 vehicles and 32 infantry. Looks to be pretty nasty.

I'm also going Mechanized, but in a different direction. This was my original intention years ago whe I started Steel Legion, but it was cost prohibitive for me at the time, and the 3.5E codex made it cost prohibitive. I'll be fielding mostly regular platoons in chimeras, with few upgrades.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 01:46   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Genocide
Oh, man. Oh, man. Oh, MAN. I have JUST noticed that VETERANS ARE TROOPS. Hell, this has got better. ^^
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote