Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Know your enemy. Questions about IG
Old 17 Mar 2009, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Know your enemy. Questions about IG

I'm playing an IG player soon. I don't know much about imperial guard so i'm trying to find out lots about them. My first question is " what are vox casters and should i worry about them"

Pleases delete this account, I apologise for any upset caused by the actions of my brother - sorry.

Please delete, thanks!
pulse-carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Know your enemy. Questions about IG

I see we have a new recruit, welcome to the Imperial Guard! (and to the Board itself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse-carbine
I'm playing an IG player soon. I don't know much about imperial guard so i'm trying to find out lots about them. My first question is " waht are vox casters and should i worry about the"
Go here! to learn about the Vox Caster itself, and what it basically is.

Most people tend not to use them in their armies, maybe they see no use of the Vox, or maybe they're trying to get those few extra points to maybe upgrade, or buy another IG unit.

Here's the run down - the Vox Caster (which can be upgraded to a Master Vox) can be used to use the Leadership of a Command HQ (main command element of the army) or a Troop Command (who commands the troops). No matter where the Command elements are, some IG units (as stated in the link I provided you with) - can use the Leadership of the command elements (i.e. Main Command or Troop Command).

The downfall is that only one squad (of an Imperial Guard unit) - per turn may use the Leadership of the Command Elements (and that's probably why some people don't take them).

I hope I've given you the info you needed, if you have any more questions (or if you are confused of how I've answered your question) - please let me know, or ask any other questions you may have, either myself, or my fellow Guard Officers will be delighted to help. ;D

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 22:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Welcome to the forum, try pushing the "spel chek" button. [that was purposeful]

In regards to your question, vox casters are essentially short ranged communication devices [walki-talkis]. I take one in every squad so as I charge forward and take serious casaulties I can use my commanding officers leadership for my moral tests. However to do this my commanding officer has to have a master vox in order for multiple tests by multiple units.

Get a codex. Read it.

While there is a new codex scheduled to come out in May, getting the old codex is helpful as you can learn about the game the fluff and more importantly, the rules for guard.

Strengths: Guard have the ability to feild the most models in the entire 40k game, in a 2500 point battle I usually take over 250 models and battle tanks, that's a scary amount of firepower and manpower. Imperial Guard also can take some of the (arguably) best tanks in the game and with the new codex , this will hopefully be even more.
I cannot even begin to name all the different forces of the Imperial Guard, they are humanities greatist resource and come in so many different styles it's staggering. I run a chaos regiment fully given over to the dark gods, with mutations, blasphemous banners ect. while the guy next to me might run a fluffy tallarn force full of mobile light infantry and long ranged tanks.
Guard can have the most ot everything, tanks, firepower and models.

Weaknesses: One of the guards greatist weaknesses is in assault, compared to the genetically engenered superhumans, and mosterous aliens, they are comparitivly weak, just don't let your opponent get to assault your force and your fine, or you could use a dedicated respose unit (rough riders, ogryns) to block and respond to the enemy.

There are so many different ways to play guard I couldn't even describe them all if I typed all night. For this reason I'll just have to say the whatever your metagame is guard will probably have something for you, and the guys at Tau online are more than happy to awnser any questions of yours.

So stand in line soldier and welcome to the Imperial Guard.

**EDIT** Damn! Kakashi Sensei got to the question before me while I typed
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 23:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark God
Welcome to the forum, try pushing the "spel chek" button. [that was purposeful]

In regards to your question, vox casters are essentially short ranged communication devices [walki-talkis]. I take one in every squad so as I charge forward and take serious casaulties I can use my commanding officers leadership for my moral tests. However to do this my commanding officer has to have a master vox in order for multiple tests by multiple units.

Get a codex. Read it.

While there is a new codex scheduled to come out in May, getting the old codex is helpful as you can learn about the game the fluff and more importantly, the rules for guard.

Strengths: Guard have the ability to feild the most models in the entire 40k game, in a 2500 point battle I usually take over 250 models and battle tanks, that's a scary amount of firepower and manpower. Imperial Guard also can take some of the (arguably) best tanks in the game and with the new codex , this will hopefully be even more.
I cannot even begin to name all the different forces of the Imperial Guard, they are humanities greatist resource and come in so many different styles it's staggering. I run a chaos regiment fully given over to the dark gods, with mutations, blasphemous banners ect. while the guy next to me might run a fluffy tallarn force full of mobile light infantry and long ranged tanks.
Guard can have the most ot everything, tanks, firepower and models.

Weaknesses: One of the guards greatist weaknesses is in assault, compared to the genetically engenered superhumans, and mosterous aliens, they are comparitivly weak, just don't let your opponent get to assault your force and your fine, or you could use a dedicated respose unit (rough riders, ogryns) to block and respond to the enemy.

There are so many different ways to play guard I couldn't even describe them all if I typed all night. For this reason I'll just have to say the whatever your metagame is guard will probably have something for you, and the guys at Tau online are more than happy to awnser any questions of yours.

So stand in line soldier and welcome to the Imperial Guard.

**EDIT** Damn! Kakashi Sensei got to the question before me while I typed
I wouldn't go so far as to call them walkie talkies. I walkie talkie is a small handheld radio, while a Vox Caster is more like a modern day military radio set.
Even the Forge World Command Squad set has a phone being pulled out of the vox set. So I'd assume it's a bit more complex then a walkie talkie.
Some fluff pieces even mention vox sets being able to capture and send pictures over the network.

And The Dark God, a bit of the pot calling the kettle black here. You might want to use the spell checker yourself.

Cheers all.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
The downfall is that only one squad (of an Imperial Guard unit) - per turn may use the Leadership of the Command Elements (and that's probably why some people don't take them).
The master vox allows you to use the commanders LD for as many squads per turn as you'd like.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent

And The Dark God, a bit of the pot calling the kettle black here. You might want to use the spell checker yourself.
:-[ Oops... :-\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent

I wouldn't go so far as to call them walkie talkies. I walkie talkie is a small handheld radio, while a Vox Caster is more like a modern day military radio set.
Even the Forge World Command Squad set has a phone being pulled out of the vox set. So I'd assume it's a bit more complex then a walkie talkie.
Some fluff pieces even mention vox sets being able to capture and send pictures over the network.
I was trying to be slightly funny just like lasguns are "flashlights". Though I fully understand where you are coming from and yes, vox casters are much more advanced than walkie-talkies.
I was wondering, is it possible that perhaps depending on the technology base, if vox casters might simply be a form of walkie-talkie, I haven't found confirmation anywhere, but perhaps it's possible. Just throwing this out there for discussion, not to form an argument.

"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for your help. I believed that IG didn't have very good leadership and so I was hoping to force them to retreat into a kroot carnivore squad or into rapid fire range of another fire warrior squad. I might change my tactics if they have a better chance of passing morale checks.

Pleases delete this account, I apologise for any upset caused by the actions of my brother - sorry.

Please delete, thanks!
pulse-carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

With the new codex on the horizon the role of Vox-casters will change in regards to the new order system for IG.

Right now I don't bother to use them in my IG, since leadership isn't an issue with my army. My guardsmen normally get wiped out before leadership comes into play...lol

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote