Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Imperial Guard
Old 15 Mar 2009, 01:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Starting Imperial Guard

Hey guys,
Im getting back into warhammer and I really want to play Imperial Guard.

But the problem is that Ive been hearing that IG is getting a revamp, so should I wait buying the codexes/models until the new update with the new models and books?

Also, in the new update, are they going to be making plastic models for different types of Imperial Guardsmen, and not just cadians and catachans? (like Steel Legion..does anyone play them?)

From the adventures of Tiny tim and Wargamer, a epic story.
AIM: CreepyDope

Armies I'd like to start next:
Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
SnipingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Starting Imperial Guard

Guard codex is coming out in 2 months, with a recutting of the molds for the IG sprue.

The sprue is now 10 models, with a heavy weapon.

Plastic command squads, new Catachan models, etc.

Some new models and new tanks as well.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaria
Guard codex is coming out in 2 months, with a recutting of the molds for the IG sprue.

The sprue is now 10 models, with a heavy weapon.

Plastic command squads, new Catachan models, etc.

Some new models and new tanks as well.
oh ok thanks, would it be advisable to just wait then? Also, are they upping the price or lowering them with new plastic models?

Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Price is going to be a little lower, but I cannot remember how much lower per 10 guys.

You can start buying now, or later, your choice really.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 03:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaria
Price is going to be a little lower, but I cannot remember how much lower per 10 guys.

You can start buying now, or later, your choice really.
Price is going up; it will be $22 for a box of 10 guys (same price as a box of Boyz). There has been no confirmation that there are any heavy weapons included; the rumors are leaning to this not being the case. The sprues are unchanged; this is a rebox with a 25% price increase.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Buy 20 man boxes now for numbers if you want it for less money (in theory). Models are not changing very much (besides command squads and stormies). So it can be good to start now, so you'll already have a good start for when the book is updated. The organization of the army wont radically change, so what you buy now wont go to waste. 2 months is really not terribly soon, so getting started now means you'll be able to have stuff built and painted so you can play with the next codex quicker.

Remember mobility is important in all armies, and a command squad and two infantry platoons I find is often the best core for an army. Don't get an armoured fist squad, until you have two min. sized platoons first, or your numbers could be hindered. Unless, your going for a Mechanized force, then it's okay to do.

You can use models besides Cadians/Catachens, but it will cost you more as they are all pewter (or resin for some).
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 04:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could buy the things every IG players needs, like some guardsmen, HW teams, officers, and an LRBT or two. Really though it depends on if you paint them or not. I paint all of mine with a great detail so it takes me quite a while to get models ready to play.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 07:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks guys, Im probably going to pickup the cadian battleforce with like 20 troops, some heavy weapons and that leman russ tank.

I do have the old codex from a friend who let me borrow it, so I do have some sense of direction on where I am going with the army

Im not too familiar with the IG terms such as mechanized or w/e, but I plan on using a balanced force, maybe more troop-style with special units like the kaskrin and ogres and snipers.

Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ogryns are pretty tough and are a good roadblock, or something top contest objective with. Mechanized is when a majority (or all) of the army is either tanks, or has a transport. Low model count, good mobility. Good protection for infantry too, Chimeras are pretty tough (generally).
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 19:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingRanger
Im not too familiar with the IG terms such as mechanized or w/e, but I plan on using a balanced force, maybe more troop-style with special units like the kaskrin and ogres and snipers.
Don't worry too much for now - but IGNORE the Doctrines. They are gone in the new codex, instead going the route of newer codexes using HQ or characters to alter list composition, and offering per-unit upgrades. Focus on a very small force for now as you build up, don't rush into buy a lot, until the new Codex comes out, because it will breath new life into the Guard and open up a wider world of build styles.

As for terms like Mechanized, they are terms for some of the play styles (but aren't an exclusive list). Some of these require using the Doctrines rules to use:

Static / Gun Line - Mostly immobile force that just shoots.

Mechanized - Chimera heavy mobile force. Currently overpriced, but new codex corrects this with a 33% points drop.

Grenadier - Up to 3 Stormtroopers units as Troops. New codex may still allow this with a special character. Stormtroopers are changing a bit too (Hellgun changes).

Drop Troops - Allows deep striking. New codex may still allow this with a special character, or using Valkyries.

Armoured Company - Tank heavy. Not usually possible without special list, but new Codex may allow far more Russes than currently (rumor is squadrons of 3 per Heavy)