Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Elysians - Where to start?
Old 13 Mar 2009, 22:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Elysians - Where to start?

I know, I know... New Codex is just around the corner, and me asking where to start with a new army.

But the new Valkyrie just did me in, and I want to build up a small (1K points) Drop Troop army as soon as the new Dex arrives.

As regards actually BUYING Elysians - if I understand the shipping terms of FW, I can actually order them piecemeal - one squad a weeks or month, however I am able to paint them (which is usually better than buying them all at once), I am paying just the same amount of shipping (15% to continental Europe).

Now, a couple of questions remain:

1) Anyone any experience with the Elysian models? Good? Bad? How is the choice of special weapons included in the units (Hardened Vets, normal infantry)?

2) Any detailed rumours about Drop Troops in the new Dex?

3) How viable are small-point Drop lists now, and how viable will they be with the new Dex (tricky question, I know).

4) I was thinking about getting a team of hardened Vets as a start, just to get a feel of the army. Shotguns any good? They look awesome, but the Lasgun does have the advantage of range.

5) Any colour scheme ideas? I'd like some urban/desert theme, but it shouldn't be too dark. Alternatively, do you know of good pages where they show real-life camos from different times and countries?

Glad for any help..

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 00:00   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Elysians - Where to start?

Quote:
1) Anyone any experience with the Elysian models? Good? Bad? How is the choice of special weapons included in the units (Hardened Vets, normal infantry)?
Hard Vets; Min 5-men squad and carry up to 3 Special Weapons as well as they're BS4. Good for loading up on Plasma Gun and Meltagun but preferably more of the latter. Infantry Squads must be a 10-men squad and with only a single Special Weapon available to them. Meltagun is not recommendable as Hard Vets can do Anti-Tank better. Command Squads can load up 4 Guardsmen each with a Plasma Gun as well as an Officer with Plasma Pistol. BS3 but you can rapid-fire with them.

Quote:
2) Any detailed rumours about Drop Troops in the new Dex?
Check the Imperial Guard Rumor Summary

Quote:
3) How viable are small-point Drop lists now, and how viable will they be with the new Dex (tricky question, I know).
Guardsmen are cheap. Remember that. Drop Troops can pack a lot of punch but remember we don't have any means like Teleport Homers or Locator Beacons to get us on target and not scatter unless you include Inquisition units with access to it. Drop Troops are very much still viable but in the new Codex, I ain't too sure but if it still retain most of the above post then they're still as deadly if not deadlier.

Quote:
4) I was thinking about getting a team of hardened Vets as a start, just to get a feel of the army. Shotguns any good? They look awesome, but the Lasgun does have the advantage of range.
You deep-strike in with your cheap 5-men Hard Vet Squad with 3 of them packing Meltagun, 1 with Shotgun/Lasgun and Vet Sarge with whatever you wish. Furthermore, when you deep-strike in, you count as moving so either way you shoot 2 shots at anything within 12" and you're out in the open so any bolter-wielding maniac and wipe you off with a single shoot-out. Just keep that in mind. Drop Troops are suicidal and you will be surrounded.

Quote:
5) Any colour scheme ideas? I'd like some urban/desert theme, but it shouldn't be too dark. Alternatively, do you know of good pages where they show real-life camos from different times and countries?
Up to you and the word of day is Google

Hope this helps and welcome to the Guard! *Salutes*
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 09:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the answers; but I didn't ask for the options they can take; I actually wanted to know what kind of equipment Hardened Vets and the Infantry Squads come with... only what you can see on the pics (i.e. are my hardened Vets stuck with 4 Shotguns and 1 Melta)? Sorry for not being clear.

Accuracy in a drop would not be a problem - I'd be using a Valkyrie to safely get my Vets to the ground.

New rumours sound kinda nice; I wasn't aware that there was a summary of them. Thanks for the link!

I'm not actually planning on playing them in a loong time; it will be a strictly "paint as I buy", and I will only field them AFTER I painted them (so right now, my goal are 750 points, just to get me started).

And, yes, I know how to google , I just wanted to cut some work, and wanted to know if anyone has a great source of inspiration on the favorites-list.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 14 Mar 2009, 13:38   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Hard Vets can be armed with Lasgun or Laspistol and CCW or Shotgun as well as 3 Hard Vets can be armed with Special Weapons in addition to having one Heavy Weapon (which is irrelevant for Drop Troops)

Infantry Squad are armed with Lasgun while 1 can be armed with a Special Weapon and another can be armed with a Heavy Weapon. Sarge can be armed with either Lasgun or Laspistol and CCW.

Quote:
Accuracy in a drop would not be a problem - I'd be using a Valkyrie to safely get my Vets to the ground.
Doesn't matter because you suppose to have 3 or more of any one unit.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 13:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Hard Vets can be armed with Lasgun or Laspistol and CCW or Shotgun as well as 3 Hard Vets can be armed with Special Weapons in addition to having one Heavy Weapon (which is irrelevant for Drop Troops)
Actually, I don't care what they COULD be armed with ruleswise - I'm stuck with what's in the Hardened Vet sprue from FW, so I wanted to know if anyone actually has bought it, and could explain to me what's in there.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/ehvshotguns.htm

Just the Shotguns and the Melta, or more options? That's what I'm trying to find out
Old 14 Mar 2009, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Drop Troop 1st Rule: Keep everyone cheap. For Hard Vets, I opt them just to be 5-men and totting 3 Meltaguns.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Drop Troop 1st Rule: Keep everyone cheap. For Hard Vets, I opt them just to be 5-men and totting 3 Meltaguns.
<Drops Cluebat. Fires Cluenuke MKV>

What I PLAN on equipping them with is unimportant. I want to know what bits and weapons are in the Hardened Vets KIT. Right now, it looks as if there are 4 Shotguns and one Melta, but I'd like to get some confirmation on this. I'd also like to know if there are any extra weapons in the kit. I wanna talk bits, not rules or tactics.

And Zenni, I warn you - unless you have the Elysian Hardened Vets at home, you will NOT be able answer this question! ;D
Old 14 Mar 2009, 14:21   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

@_@" OK, I give up...
Old 15 Mar 2009, 04:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Although i don't recommend being so rude to someone who is trying to help. I can guarentee you that They are indeed equiped just as shown, the thing about resin is it's not as easy to work with and FW doesn't do bits verywell, most kits only have the bare minimum. However the Elysian Drop weapons pack is a great option for this, as i'm sure you have seen.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Genocide
Although i don't recommend being so rude to someone who is trying to help. I can guarentee you that They are indeed equiped just as shown, the thing about resin is it's not as easy to work with and FW doesn't do bits verywell, most kits only have the bare minimum. However the Elysian Drop weapons pack is a great option for this, as i'm sure you have seen.
I didn't mean to be rude, but it was late, and my temper was rising. Besides, I got the impression that he was deliberately misunderstanding me

Thanks for the info, Lord Genocide. I know resin is a bit tougher to work with than plastic, but at least it's not metal-level difficult, and besides, I've got a sharp knife - I'm not scared. Not scared at all ;D

Looks like I'll have to buy loads of extra bits, as well...

[hr]

Now, another question... I really like the idea of Grenade Launchers. Any good? Hardened Vets with them would be quite dangerous, and I could Deepstrike them in a safe distance from the enemy... I know, Plasma and Melta are rather standard, but Grenade Launchers are probably far cheaper.

Cheers,
-Bone