Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sharpshooter Question
Old 12 Mar 2009, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Sharpshooter Question

I was playing against an IG army and he had taken the Sharpshooter skill. He was playing it that he only got to use the re-roll ability once per game per model. That just doesn't sound right. I looked at the Codex and the way I read it is that he only gets to re-roll a missed to hit once not over and over. Similiar to other rules that allow a re-roll of the to hit roll.

I've already brought this to his attention and I'm waiting for his response but I wanted your input as well please.
tyddlywink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 17:52   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Sharpshooter Question

For every failed roll to hit that you roll a one, on a BS3 model, you get to re-roll that. However, you may never re-roll re-rolls.

So, if a model rolls a one, it gets to roll again, however, if that second roll is also a one, he does not get to roll again.

Thats really all it says.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think your friend is a little confused, as Icer kindly pointed out, that's the way it works, so if he does do it again, either show him this topic, or point it out to him again, and maybe explain what he's doing wrong.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 23:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyddlywink
he only gets to re-roll a missed to hit once
That would really suck.

Yes, Kalaria was pretty much right, there's not too much more than that.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 16:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Actually, these answers are still wrong.

What Sharpshooters does is this;

In the shooting phase, any Bs 3 models with Sharpshooters that are not firing a Gets Hot weapon may re-roll a single roll of 1 To Hit.

So, if you have a Heavy Bolter with Sharpshooters, and you roll three 1s, you may re-roll only one of those dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 17:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Actually, you're mistaken Wargamer. Kalaria's answer is the correct according to the clarification in the Imperial Guard FAQ.

Direct Quote: The reference to a single re-roll means that a dice cannot be re-rolled more than once. There is no limit to the amount of dice you can re-roll, so long as none are re-rolled more than once. If you rapid fire you may re-roll any and all 1s.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 11:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Actually, you're mistaken Wargamer. Kalaria's answer is the correct according to the clarification in the Imperial Guard FAQ.

Direct Quote: The reference to a single re-roll means that a dice cannot be re-rolled more than once. There is no limit to the amount of dice you can re-roll, so long as none are re-rolled more than once. If you rapid fire you may re-roll any and all 1s.
Just so you know, GW has officially stated the FAQ is "just an opinion", not an official correction; it is no more right or wrong than my interpretation.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 14 Mar 2009, 11:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

FAQ's are not even writtin by GW usually... they give a kid the rule book and say interperate this and they make it 'offical'
Old 14 Mar 2009, 13:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan

Just so you know, GW has officially stated the FAQ is "just an opinion", not an official correction; it is no more right or wrong than my interpretation.
WEll, Wargamer, I do think you're wrong on this. Otherwise, if its one re-roll per model, you'd have to roll all those rapid-firing Lasguns one after the other - after all, its perfectly possible for a single Guardsman to roll two 1s...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 21:24   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
WEll, Wargamer, I do think you're wrong on this. Otherwise, if its one re-roll per model, you'd have to roll all those rapid-firing Lasguns one after the other - after all, its perfectly possible for a single Guardsman to roll two 1s...
That's how its worded, that's how it works.

Besides which, it makes actual Bs 4 models a better choice.

Quote: