Warhammer 40K Forum

The Virtues of the Lasgun
Closed Thread
Old 09 Mar 2009, 21:51   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default The Virtues of the Lasgun

The Virtues of the Lasgun

The Lasgun, the most widely produced weapon in the Imperium, and quite probably, the entire galaxy. The lasgun has been in more combats than any other weapon, and its touch of its metal trigger is often the only comfort to a solder of the Imperium facing the galaxies worst horrors.
And yet, I constantly hear the heroic lasgun being called 'useless', 'weak', 'insufficient' and, most insulting of all, a 'flashlight'. Can a flashlight take a mans arm off with but a single shot? Is a flashlight the greatest weapon ever forged by humanity?
Anyone under my command who calls his Lasgun a 'flashlight' from this point onward is to be summarily shot with their own Lasgun.
Since a few of you Guardsmen seem to have forgotten what you learned in basic training, I will take the liberty of examining the virtues of the Lasgun, and perhaps you will realize why the Lasgun has been humanities greatest ally through its darkest times.

What is a Lasgun?

A Lasgun is a light energy weapon weighing 2.3 kg, with a length of 90cm. The Lasgun features adjustable back and front sights with optional laser sights or integral optics and an adjustable rate of fire from single shot to fully automatic.The Lasgun's 19mt power pack can fire 220 rounds per minute when set to full auto and the shot intensity can be set to low (for more numerous, but weaker shots) or high (for less numerous, but more powerful shots).
The number of shots a Lasgun can fire per power pack varies between settings. A Lasgun set to the high shot intensity will fire fewer shots per power pack compared to one set to low. The power packs can be recharged from a standard power source, but exposing the thermal cells to light or heat will also recharge the pack, but at a slower rate.
A high intensity Lasgun round can cut a mans limb off, while a low intensity can is lethal when it strikes any vital area such as the head or midsection. The Lasgun, being an energy weapon, instantly cauterizes flesh and often cooks the insides of the target and will burn through any type of clothing. The Lasgun rounds do lack the energy capacity to deal with heavy armour such as Carapace plate, however not even a defense such as this can withstand more than a few aimed shots.

What are the Virtues of the Lasgun?
#1 Productiveness: The Holy Emperor of Mankind, in his all knowing wisdom, needed a weapon to arm the billions of soldiers that make up His army. He gave us the Lasgun. The Lasgun can be produced on in the thousands on any planet with even a rudimentary manufacturing base, and is produced in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions by the Forge Worlds of the Mechanicum. The Lasgun is the most produced weapon of the Imperium, and well it is so, for it must arm the largest army the galaxy has ever known.

#2 Reliability: You can beat an Ork over the head with a Lasgun while under water and the weapon will still function. The Lasgun requires only barest minimum of maintenance to continue functioning. If you take care of your Lasgun, it will never fail you.

#3 Ease of Training: A Lasgun is an incredibly simple to operate, and requires very little training to learn how to operate it. Do to its simple design, the Lasgun is also easy to clean and maintain, and while daily cleaning is recommended, the Lasgun can go for long periods without cleaning and can be stored for years and still function.

The use of a Lasgun.

So now you know what a Lasgun is, here is how you use it on the battlefield.

The typical enemy a Guardsmen will face are traitor scum and the Ork menace, although various other Xeno breeds are often discovery and must be expunged from the Emperors sight. Against these foes the Lasgun comes into its own.
The vast majority of these threats to the Emperors domain are often equipped with armour less than, or equivalent to that of a Flak armour. Lasguns rounds set to high intensity will pierce armour of this caliber with a single shot and those set to low will cut through it with only a few more rounds. The enemy knows this, and will try to cower behind cover or use the numbers of his comrades to avoid death. Use carefully aimed shots of high intensity to kill those enemies in cover when they reveal themselves and fire bursts of low intensity rounds into massed ranks of the enemy to impede their advance.

However, many a Guardsmen will find himself fighting against many horrors beyond the scope of his imagination that will be seem to be impervious to the cleansing light of a Lasgun. Against these horrors, a Guardsmen should put his faith in the Emperor, and his comrades. Use massed, concentrated volleys to fell these terrors and send them back screaming to the hell that spawned them. Aim for joints or other exposed points of their unclean body, such as the head, neck, waist, and knee. Cut down your enemies one at a time, with fire from each of your comrades.

Call it the nostalgia of an old veteran, but I cringe when I hear any slander against the Lasgun, for it has seen my, and every man under my command through the very darkest of hours, never failing us no matter what the task is. Truly, the Lasgun is perhaps the greatest hero of all mankind.

~ Colonel Artemus Vural, Karnak 5th
Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Virtues of the Lasgun

No offense but the basic flashlight comes in all shapes, sizes, capabilities, and even colors. There are almost as many forms and kinds of Lasguns as there are Imperial Guardsman units.

Fluff has also been highly erratic as to power levels (as is the case with many weapons in 40k). A more appropriate summary would include the traits shared by the greatest majority without any possibility of error.

These traits include reliability and in-the-field ability to be re-charged. Especially the latter, since this is a boon to logistics. The technology is also easily applied to different uses, we being given the fluff for Laser cutters and larger/smaller laser weapons.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:06   #3 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
No offense but the basic flashlight comes in all shapes, sizes, capabilities, and even colors. There are almost as many forms and kinds of Lasguns as there are Imperial Guardsman units.
Alrighty.

Quote:
A more appropriate summary would include the traits shared by the greatest majority without any possibility of error.
I'm fairly sure thats what I did...

Quote:
These traits include reliability and in-the-field ability to be re-charged. Especially the latter, since this is a boon to logistics.
I mentioned that.

Quote:
The technology is also easily applied to different uses, we being given the fluff for Laser cutters and larger/smaller laser weapons.
Yes, but those aren't Lasguns.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I'm fairly sure thats what I did...
Not quite. Not all the Lasguns can do what you said, nor do they all share the same characteristics (power, length, etc.), like I pointed out before.

Quote:
I mentioned that.
I know, I was just pointing out the very basics to work with when/if you choose to re-do your assessment. Pretty much agreeing with those basics at least.

Quote:
Yes, but those aren't Lasguns.
True, though the tech is in the same vein. I was pointing out that Lasgun tech is quite versatile in use though, I wasn't claiming they were the same.

Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Want a good summery of a lasgun? Read the Primer or the Munitorium Manuel.

It's short and give the best/worst points on the lasgun. While maintaining that each lasgun varient is similar in design and power but different enough that two designs are never the same.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Uses for a flashlight

Targeter
Heating Soup
Fooling enemies into thinking you have a gun.
Going to Arrakis and trading for a real lasgun.
Getting a tan.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 23:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
Uses for a flashlight

Targeter
Heating Soup
Getting a tan.
That's not quite what I meant when I posted. -_-'''

Some of the lasgun's happily bore through ceramite and plasteel as cheerfully as many heavier weapons. I just wanted to point out that it varies drastically.

Old 09 Mar 2009, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
Uses for a flashlight

Targeter
Heating Soup
Getting a tan.
Negative.

the lasgun might be a joke in game but fluff wise it is quite a decent weapon. Don't bring the jokes into a serious discussion.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 05:59   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Nice work, Aun And yes, people do look down upon the humble Lasgun. But I can tell you this; I have kill Daemon Princes, Carnifexes, Terminators and more with Lasguns. What your opponent always seem to forget is the sheer volume of las-fire we can dish out.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 13:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

definantly good

people always seem to overlook the lasgun.

so it's really refreshing when you drop abbadon or a bloodthirster(deamons codex) with those few random lasgun shots you have left after firing all the special weapons.

I've acutally come up with a mostly lasgun list(1500pts two russes and a lascannon squad) and while it isn't the most effective list I've ever seen for IG it's is still pretty effective.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Closed Thread