Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Decals on IG vehicles and equipment personalisation.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Decals on IG vehicles and equipment personalisation.

I would imagine that they'd have the standard system, but may also feature "nose-art" style markings as well.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 22:14   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Decals on IG vehicles

Im sure to make one with Betty Boob on it!

Felix the Cat, Memphis Belle and an Eightball comes to mind.

Sure the sentinel pilots is sort of a rogue guardsman that is allowed to personalize his scout-vehicle more that other troopers...with personal markings, slogans and trophies hanging.

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar
Sure the sentinel pilots is sort of a rogue guardsman that is allowed to personalize his scout-vehicle more that other troopers...with personal markings, slogans and trophies hanging.
There's nothing that stops regular Guardsmen from doing this either.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar
There's nothing that stops regular Guardsmen from doing this either.
Actually... yes there is. The Rules and Regulations of the Imperial Guard strictly forbit personalising weapons and equipment in any way, this includes adding non-standard markings to vehicles and equipment, from painted images of women or sharks to kill markings or non-standard names and what not. Some Regiments allow some laxity but normally only in specific cases, for instance in allowing crews to name their vehicles and display that name.

Sentinel Pilotes however are notoriously independanty, they operate for the most part outside the chain of command and spend most of their time alone or in their small groups and are by nature much more independant minded and resistent to rules and regulations. So Sentinels are much more likely to display things like unique names, kill markings, personal imagery and so forth as for the most part nobody is around to tell them otherwise and even if someone complains Sentinel Pilots are far too valuable to shoot and can often get away with that sort of thing where other troopers would wind up facing a firing squad or the lash.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Actually... yes there is. The Rules and Regulations of the Imperial Guard strictly forbit personalising weapons and equipment in any way, this includes adding non-standard markings to vehicles and equipment, from painted images of women or sharks to kill markings or non-standard names and what not. Some Regiments allow some laxity but normally only in specific cases, for instance in allowing crews to name their vehicles and display that name.
According to to the starchy rules set down by the beureaucrats at the Munitorium, but stopping troopers from keeping trophies or writing on their helmets is nigh-on impossible, and so is very much on the low end of things the Guard can practically worry about. We have examples of kill markings and non-regulation markings on vehicles in the IA books and even non-regulation and scavenged weapons in the IG codex. It's evidently not too big of a problem when there are much bigger things to worry about. Perhaps during transportation times they might be stricter, but on the battlefield certain things tend to get overlooked.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 06 Mar 2009, 01:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

In terms of personalising gear I suggest you read both the muitorium manual and the uplifting primer. Both have the exact ruling on this type of behaviour.

Sentinel Pilots... well I'm not sure why they are actually allowed to personalise their gear...
Old 06 Mar 2009, 03:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreChild
In terms of personalising gear I suggest you read both the muitorium manual and the uplifting primer. Both have the exact ruling on this type of behaviour.
I know, I have them. The thing is, those particular rules aren't really something you can practially enforce in battlefield conditions. As I said in my previous post, down times like being transported to a different system might see a spike in uniform and gear related punishments.

As for the punishments themselves, they definitely seem way, way too over the top. I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers just got a slap on the wrist and was sent for latrine duty.

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 06 Mar 2009, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
According to to the starchy rules set down by the beureaucrats at the Munitorium, but stopping troopers from keeping trophies or writing on their helmets is nigh-on impossible, and so is very much on the low end of things the Guard can practically worry about. We have examples of kill markings and non-regulation markings on vehicles in the IA books and even non-regulation and scavenged weapons in the IG codex. It's evidently not too big of a problem when there are much bigger things to worry about. Perhaps during transportation times they might be stricter, but on the battlefield certain things tend to get overlooked.
So you say but I'm afraid that's exactly what happens in the Guard. In one of the Gaunt's Ghosts book a Commissar shoots a Trooper's brains out in the field when he dropped his gun despite having already lost most of their company. The trials of warfare mean nothing to the Imperium and they can and do carry out the strictest punishments for the slightest infraction regardless. Cain and Gaunt are the exceptions not the rule and we all have personalised markings because well.. they're our models so why not? Drab and boring just won't due but that's how the Imperial Guard functions, if you think the Uplifting Primer is unrealistic well yes, it's supposed to be. This is the grim, dark future where there is only war and to the Imperial War machine it's rules and regulations are far more important than the meat that it throws to the grinder, a single lasgun could see dozens of troopers before it's destroyed, the equipment is more valuable than the people using it.

Quote:
I know, I have them. The thing is, those particular rules aren't really something you can practially enforce in battlefield conditions. As I said in my previous post, down times like being transported to a different system might see a spike in uniform and gear related punishments.

As for the punishments themselves, they definitely seem way, way too over the top. I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers just got a slap on the wrist and was sent for latrine duty.
Unfortunately no, a shot through the head is far more likely than latrine duty unless the soldier is lucky enough to have a compassionate officer, no infraction is taken lightly no matter how rediculous. Practicality has nadda, zippo, zero to do with it, that's how the Imperium works. Nitty, gritty, tyrannic, oppressive, murderous, callous, uncaring, beaurocratic, convoluted and all consuming. The Primer and Munitorum manual are to us a joke but in the 40k Canon that's exactly how things work in the Guard.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 04:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Practicality has nadda, zippo, zero to do with it, that's how the Imperium works. Nitty, gritty, tyrannic, oppressive, murderous, callous, uncaring, beaurocratic, convoluted and all consuming. The Primer and Munitorum manual are to us a joke but in the 40k Canon that's exactly how things work in the Guard.
Sadly, you're 100% correct, which is a real shame for the fighting man. The restrictions in the canon fluff and books are ridiculous not to mention some of the misinformation being downright dangerous in some of their standard texts. :-\

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 04:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rules like those are absolutely necessary. Even in our modern military the punishment for being late to work is the same as making a work-related mistake or insubordination. Being late to work one day will get you paperwork that will follow you for a long time, and can hurt your chances of getting promoted. The Imperium is just a natural progressions of this, considering there are much higher things at stake for them.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote