Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Storm Troopers, Commissars & Schola Progenium
Old 24 Feb 2009, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Storm Troopers, Commissars & Schola Progenium

I'm a little confused about Storm Troopers and Commissars. They are selected from the Schola Progenium. But are they from their host army? For example, is a Catachan or Mordian Commissar from Catacha or Mordia? Or could they be from another planet?

The same for Storm Troopers. Are they generic units from the Schola or are they specific to a planetary force?

Also, on the Schola Progenium, are these on each planet or in each system or is there a centralized location to which all recriuts are sent?

I'm sorry, this is a lot of questions, but I'm curious about how indiginous these units would be within their armies.
Aureus
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Storm Troopers, Commissars & Schola Progenium

Well, Commissars are not necessarily sent to companies from the same homeworld. Like Catachans do not have any Commissars of their own, but are given offworlders to command. (Which often ends in "cultural clashes")

Stormtroopers are rarely taken from the same homeworld.
Stormtroopers in general are taken from the Scholae Progenium as Commissar-Cadets that fail their duty to become a Commissar, without showing any insubordination or cowardice. They are just not cut out for that task.

Kasrkin are a very special in that way as they are all Cadians. They are chosen as Whiteshields to receive the extremely hard training to become a Kasrkin (City-Kin) warrior. The training to become a Kasrkin is said to be harder than for regular Stormtroopers.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureus
I'm a little confused about Storm Troopers and Commissars. They are selected from the Schola Progenium. But are they from their host army? For example, is a Catachan or Mordian Commissar from Catacha or Mordia? Or could they be from another planet?
They are most likely from another planet, but if there's a Schola on a same planet as a Imperial Guard Regiment, let's say the Steel Legion for example, then the Commissar will be a Steel Legion Commissar.

Quote:
The same for Storm Troopers. Are they generic units from the Schola or are they specific to a planetary force?
They're generic units from the Schola, as they're trained from childhood by the Schola.

Quote:
Also, on the Schola Progenium, are these on each planet or in each system or is there a centralized location to which all recruits are sent?
I think they'd most likey be where there's Ecclesiarchy present, like on a planet.

Quote:
I'm sorry, this is a lot of questions, but I'm curious about how indiginous these units would be within their armies.
No worries, if you have a question just ask.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

With regards to the Storm Troopers and Commissars, a lot of them in the background fluff, are all orphans of IG Officers. They are taken in by the Schola Progenium program and given a military schooling.

I am not sure that Storm Troopers are failed cadet-commisars, more likely that those in the program who show the suitablity to be commisars are drawn from the general pool whilst the rest go through to the Storm Trooper training.

Commissars are assigned to which ever regiment/unit requires them, so they could end up in a regiment from their birthworld, but its highly unlikely. Most I suspect tend to view themselves as having no homeworlds and therefore no ties to the planets, people and ultimately means they can concentrate on ensuring that the Emperor's will is first and foremost.

Mana-Valkyrie
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Kakashi's got it for the most part. Orpans are sent to the Schola Progenium, they recieve their basic education, training and Imperial Indoctrination there. After they "graduate" they either select, or are selected for another organisation. It is unclear how much choice is involved in what branch you are sent to after graduation, but it seems Sororitas, Storm Troopers, Commissars and to some extent Inquisitors are optional choices. I would imagine Officio Assassinorum operatives are selected and given a do or die sort of choice. I have memories of Assassins being trained from a young age, so they may also be selected some years before graduation.

In respect to Storm Troopers and Commissars though, they are never* actually part of a regular Guardsmen regiment. Stormtroopers appear to have their own regimental set up and are usually deployed on a squad by squad basis to operational theatres as they are needed. Some regiments (Cadia as the biggest example) have their own elite units, but they aren't real Storm Troopers, they share a similar level of training and equipment and share a game profile for simplicity's sake. These have no* Schola training and are just elite troopers within the regiment.

Commissars are assigned to a regiment by the Departmento Munitorum for as long as they are required. They are completely seperate from the regiment and should by all rights not be from the same world. A commissar should have no connections to the regiment of his assignment except for the duties he performs (morale and discipline) so that he can maintain his neutral status.

EDIT: As far as Schola locations, there's no particular standard for placing them. The Administratum sets up a school on any world it deems suitable, altough I would imagine they would be more common on worlds with a strong Ecclesiarch presence.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 20:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay, coolness. Thanks very much for the rapid and informative responses. That clears it up nicely.

A couple of follow up questions:

I noticed this entry on Grenadiers. How accurate is it? If it is accurate, how widespread would this practice be?

Also, how commonly used are Commissars? Are they mandated to each company or are they only used during certain engagements?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 20:13   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
I am going to say no. The Progenia are an Ecclessiarchical institute, and generally the Ecclessiarchy and its forces (ie: the Arbites) are removed from their homeworld to ensure there is no conflict of interest.

This carries over; Stormtroopers and Commissars recruited from Cadia would be sent halfway across the galaxy to ensure they don't know anybody, and thus nobody can compromise their integrety.

Quote:
They are Schola boys all the way; they are not recruited from any one specific planet or system.

Also, on the Schola Progenium, are these on each planet or in each system or is there a centralized location to which all recriuts are sent?
The Schola Progenium has establishments on many worlds, but they are not omnipresent. I would guess they would retain a presence on all Ecclessiarchy-run planets, as well as major military worlds.

Quote:
I noticed this entry on Grenadiers. How accurate is it? If it is accurate, how widespread would this practice be?
Grenadiers have nothing to do with Stormtroopers at all.

Grenadiers are regimental elite; the best of the best their homeworld can recruit. They are, however, still Imperial Guardsmen in all respects.

Stormtroopers are the Imperium's elite, and completely autonomous from the Imperial Guard.

Grenadiers are not common at all. Only a handful of worlds would have them. Case in point, the Cadians (who probably have Schola Progenium bases as well), and the Volpone 10th.

Quote:
Also, how commonly used are Commissars? Are they mandated to each company or are they only used during certain engagements?
Mandatory. In theory, all Regiments have at least one Commissar. Based on various sources (several Editions of both Epic and 40K), a Regiment can have anywhere up to a dozen Commissars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Again, many thanks. I think I'm done bothering you all now.

Thanks,
Aureus
Old 25 Feb 2009, 14:06   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

How about Elysians? Are they Storm Troopers or Grenadiers?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 14:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
How about Elysians? Are they Storm Troopers or Grenadiers?
Neither. Elysians are Drop Troops.

In real world terms, Elysians are a Para regiment. Storm Troopers are the SAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote