Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wanted to start a guard army
Old 21 Feb 2009, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Wanted to start a guard army

Like the title, I was thinking about starting a guard army. I'd really like to start a massed troop army, and was wondering how well this can perform? I'm not familiar with the army very well, with the exception of what I've read on this forum. Not many guard players in my area either so nobody to ask. Kinda thinking of keeping it around 1k in terms of points for now, and maybe getting vehicles later.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2009, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Wanted to start a guard army

Awsome, welcome to the guard forum. I run a massed troops list as well and it seems to work very well. I try to run in 1k points two full platoons, a russ, a command squad kitted out with master vox and commisair for a high Ld all the way across the board. I have to go, but I'll try to add to this later.

cheers Typhon- the dark god
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 23:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Two full squads, they cap out at 20 right? I'm sorta trying to keep to nothing but all troops, and outfitting some anti vehicle in there somewhere with special weapons and such. I want to try to do nothing but an army of man!
On that note, how many guard could you fit into 1k of space, they are like, 5 points a piece aren't they?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can fit 150+ guardsmen in a 1k list with no war gear. or with some weapons and what not you can comfortably fit about 120. Guard have a very interesting force organization, your command is 5 men including your Officer, each troop choice has a 5 command junior command platoon, and 2-5 ten man guardsmen squads.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, a minmum sized infantry platoon is 25 guys; 2 squads of 10 and a 5 man command squad. This comes in at 160 points, but att a maximum you can hav 55 guys in a single force organization slot. 5x10+5. And best of all, each squad holds objective, and a single KP=55 kills (that's how I play, anyways)! See my 3000 points all infantry army. Its a WIP, but its still viable.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 01:55   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Like Ork Horde (6 mobs of 30 Ork Boyz), IG Horde will get boring very fast. Try to add spice to it like adding Leman Russes, Deep-Striking/Outflanking Hard Vets with Plasma Gun/Meltagun, Rough Riders, Ogryns etc. Maybe even an Inquisition attachment.

Not to say All-Infantry Guard Army isn't viable. It will just get boring very soon.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 04:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The only real problem with playing this type of Army is in annihilation you are going to be giving away way too many kill points. Each squad in a platoon is worth a kill point, and each command unit in the platoon is worth 2 points, one for the Junior officer, and one for his retinue. at every troops foc slot being between 4-9 KP's you may want to ask your friends to play victory points or try and minimilize the amount of Annihilation games you play, Annihilation is borring anyways objectives is much more fun.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 04:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Also horde armies have a habit of giving cheesy enemies an excuse to claim a cover save in 5th ed.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 20:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

IIRC the rulebook states that IC's and their retinue count as only 1 kp.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

"If a Character Has A Retinue, The Character and his Retinue are worth one kill point each." Quoted from the book.