Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why not use more conscripts?
Old 20 Feb 2009, 20:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Why not use more conscripts?

The title is self explanitory, but again, why not?

First, they are some of the cheapest units in the game. 4 points? They are practicaly overpriced. And all you loose is 1 WS, BS, and Ld, which is easily solved by close order drill, sharpshooters and hardened fighters. Although the last two upgrades would make them expensive, the first is free!

Second, numbers. At 4 points, you can get 50 of them for 200 points. And sure, you say, that's plenty of men, but they can't fight for their lives! Well, I reply, have you tried sending that Rhino squad to budge 50 men of an objective??

Third, options (or the lack therof). With no Veteran Sarge, you have to way to waste points on unessesary gear. This forces newer people (or those who like to max out on stuff) to be economical, and helps keep your list lean.

Fourth, specail and heavy weapons. The amount of the are limited, but you won't be useing many. Simple templete and blast weapons make up for a poor BS, as flamers don't need to roll to hit, and blast will scatter pretty far anyways, +1BS makes little difference.

The fifth and final reason is for psychology. Nobody is intimidated by conscripts. But they are just as durable as any guardsmen. You get hit on a 3+ by everything past guardians and grots anyways, and you have the same T and Sv as all other guardsmen. So while your opponent might think that he is in for an easy win, he will be soorly mistaken.

Now, I am not saying that we should all replace our regular guardsmen with conscript platoons, but I am saying that we should take a good look at them, and not just leave them out. When balancing you list, ask yourself, do I need more bodies, and/or need more points for my Russ? If the answer is yes, then get youself some conscripts!
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2009, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Why not use more conscripts?

There's a problem with your first point: Conscripts can't use ANY of those doctrines.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmmm....Interesting...but that Psycological effect works bothways my friend YOUR the poor git who has to paint em all :P
Old 20 Feb 2009, 22:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcius Fisher (Zechs)
that Psycological effect
I love the psyci effect, I'm eventually going to feild 90 in my full 2500k force, a squad of 50 and a squad of 40.

Seeing one squad take up a huge chunk of the table either sitting on an objective or charging towards you I've had more than one opponent ask, isn't that too many points? no, see, I respond, those conscripts are only worth about that landraider and that combat squad...What??!
(about 320 pts right? I don't know marines that well)

Anyway, I love conscripts and will often attach an independant commisaire too give them the LD boost, or have an officer nearby. The more the merrier.

Cheers Typhon- the dark god
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2009, 01:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
There's a problem with your first point: Conscripts can't use ANY of those doctrines.
It isn't my main point, and the rest certainly stand.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2009, 14:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I have found in the recent edition of 40k numbers can work against you, as your own troops give the enemy coversaves if you shoot through them, another reason why conscripts are even more useless than before!
Old 21 Feb 2009, 14:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
I have found in the recent edition of 40k numbers can work against you, as your own troops give the enemy coversaves if you shoot through them, another reason why conscripts are even more useless than before!
Ahh, but that is where conscripts really come to their own, as a screening unit. Your opponent probably doesn't want to wast valuble fire at such cheap models. This means they are faced with a choice, kill the conscripts and leave the rest of my army, or shoot the rest of my army, who benefit from a 4+ cover save and be swamped by almost 100 conscripts.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2009, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Wrong. Close Order can ONLY be used by normal Infantry Platoons AND Conscript Platoons. If it couldn't, I wouldn't have 130 in my army.

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 03:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah Conscripts are very good. I wanted them myself (100 minimum). But from what I have heard the new Codex for Gaurd will abolish conscripts, however make your standard Gaurdsmen 4pts.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 03:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
Yeah Conscripts are very good. I wanted them myself (100 minimum). But from what I have heard the new Codex for Gaurd will abolish conscripts, however make your standard Gaurdsmen 4pts.
Conscript is listed in the leaked French reference sheet. So, if Guardsmen are 4pts, conscripts must be crazy cheap.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote