Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tarsissian PDF/Guard Regiment
Old 05 Feb 2009, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Tarsissian PDF/Guard Regiment

I've recently been toying with the idea of putting together another Guard army (a small 1,000 point army) to go alongside my 3,500 point Space Marine army.

This is where you guys come in, as it's still early days yet and I want to bash out their fluff, fighting style etc and get all the little details clear in my own mind before I invest in any models, so this is the time you guys have the biggest sway in how the army will turn out.

I would like the regiment to be Tarsissian in origin, using the established fluff for Tarsiss and the Fists of Flame to draw on. If anyone isn't familiar with the history of Tarsiss III, the ultimate sanction of Exterminatus was enacted in following the Second War in 798.M38 at the command of the Hereticus Inquisitor-Lord Tibius Holt (also a Tarsissian btw).

I've included a little bit of text from my own codex below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Four Winds of Chaos, page 46,47
The Second War was even more costly then the First War had been.

The opening moves of this war was proceeded by a massed attack by both Nurgle and Khornate forces high in orbit. With relative ease, the Imperial forces and orbital defences were overrun or completely destroyed.

However, the attack on the ground would not happen for hours, as the Nurgle fleet high above begun to rain down virus torpedoes down onto the surface. Seconds past as the new virus disseminated amongst the world’s population and then the effects became all too apparent. Within the first hour, hordes of roving bands of plague zombies begun to appear, each cluster of plague zombies spreading the plague further and further.

With the virus now prevalent upon the surface, the Khorne Lord Arnell withdrew his own fleet and returned to the Eye of Terror. However, Damius’ own fleet stayed and by the dawn of the second day had begun landing his ground forces on the planet below.

Up until this point, the PDF and the Adeptus Arbites were able to contain the growing plague zombie threat, but now they faced both Plague Marines and the growing hordes of plague ridden citizens, they were forced to retreat within their own barracks until aid arrived.

However, rather then face the inevitable attack of the Astartes on their own terms, Damius himself travelled down to the world along with the majority of his forces. Then, he ordered his fleet to break orbit.
When the Fists of Flame Space Marines arrived, they faced a world that had changed greatly. The vast fields of crops were destroyed, and roving bands of plague zombies held the populace in hiding and with no discernable presence of traitor Astartes, the Fists of Flame secured a foothold position. When the majority of the Fists of Flame forces deployed, Damius struck...
How I did leave the door open for them above when I wrote the Four Winds codex, I would like to possibly explore other possibilities.

As far as I see, there was several possibilities for the continued existence of a Tarsissian regiment:
A) They were on Tarsiss and were evacuated when the Fists of Flame withdrew (possibily some interesting plot threads there, fighting off the plague, "self-image" issues, seeing themselves as unpure etc)
B) They were/are a normal Guard regiment during the period of the Second War, either fighting somewhere else or were brought back in but didn't actually take part in the fighting (and so remained untainted).

For the army itself, I was thinking maybe using storm troopers (using Kasrkin models), as they look similar to the Space Marines Scouts, so to provide a visual clue should the two armies get used together in larger battles.

So, if you guys have any input, ideas etc, jot it down and you never know, it may be used!
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tarsissian PDF/Guard Regiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Hunter (FT)
(possibily some interesting plot threads there, fighting off the plague, "self-image" issues, seeing themselves as unpure etc)
Maybe they could have lots of commisars to make sure the plague hasn't subtley corrupted them? if you see what I mean...

Chem-inhaler doctrine to avoid breathing in the plague? (long shot I know)

Iron discipline or close order, again a corruption thing...

Can't really think of anything else. Carapace armour because they look like stormtroopers?

Just some random ideas. Hope one of them helps ;D

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 09:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally I like the first option better as it gives the regiment more character. I like the idea of them being tortured by the fact that they were forced to fight their own when their duty had been to protect them. Plenty of mileage in this...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 09:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can currently give a commisar to every squad in an infantry platoon, aye? Just checking. My codex should be arriving today or tomorrow, anyways.... can't wait ;D ;D

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 10:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
You can currently give a commisar to every squad in an infantry platoon, aye? Just checking. My codex should be arriving today or tomorrow, anyways.... can't wait ;D ;D
'fraid not. Currently you can have a max 5 Commi's in your army and they must be attached to units in a strict order:

Command HQ first, then
Any platoon HQ's you have taken, only then can they be attached to
Any other squad

The new codex is rumoured to be more flexible, however.

Old 12 Feb 2009, 10:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay. So I could have... 1 HQ with commy, 1 platoon HQ with commi, 2 platoon squads with commy, and 1 armoured fist with commy. Yah? Just to check. My codex will probabally arive tommorow/the day after and I'm an impatient sod. ;D

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 11:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
Okay. So I could have... 1 HQ with commy, 1 platoon HQ with commi, 2 platoon squads with commy, and 1 armoured fist with commy. Yah? Just to check. My codex will probabally arive tommorow/the day after and I'm an impatient sod. ;D
Yes, but we are getting off-topic here...

Old 12 Feb 2009, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry Exy-wexy.

Ahem. Still, MH, you could have a commiser-heavy thing for the whole curruption thing.... I know what I mean...

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 15:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Either option works alright though there are other possibilities. For instance say they were an active Imperial Guard Regiment brought in to aid the campaign but never actually got deployed and spent the whole time stuck in a troop ship and forced to watch their planet burn from orbit.

Or perhaps they were a PDF Regiment stationed on another planet in the system or if no habiteable planets perhaps a mining station or a listening post or a system defence boat or something and the Imperial Command didn't deploy them before the campaign was over. After all what good would a single PDF Regiment do to make a difference?

Or they were a PDF Regiment on the ground not involved in the heaviest fighting and were evacuated but their numbers greatly reduced as Imperial purity tests executed anyone showing the slightest taint.

Lots of things you could do.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote