Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you tell squads apart?
Old 05 Feb 2009, 22:17   #21 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How do you tell squads apart?

For my two existing Guard armies, I just run with the 7 lasgun, one spec. weap, one heavy, one sergeant solution. As for keeping them seperate during battle, I keep my Guard squads 2" apart, or set up in such a way as to make it apparent which model is which squad using the sergeants (and explain this to my opponent).

Example

G G G G G | G G G G G | G G G G G | G G G G G
G G G G S | G G G G S | G G G G S | G G G G S

G = Guardsman
S = Sergeant.

Everything to the left of the Sergeant is part of that sergeants' squad, until you see another Sergeant.

Should I get into combat with two squads, I lay one squad down on their side to mark the different squads.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 18:59   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Hunter (FT)
Should I get into combat with two squads, I lay one squad down on their side to mark the different squads.
Until that moment in the game....

"Why have half your men fainted?"

;D

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 07:02   #23 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

at least guard players bother trying to seperate their models so your opponent can tell what is going on. Whenever I see a tyranid player i picture old people with shuffle sticks scooting hordes of models across the board. "But moving them all individually takes too long" ugh that is why i hate tyranids. Not so much the army it is the players that will try to scoot two full units into melee and you see 30 models piled on top of each other.

Not to mention almost every nid player around here spraypaints their army black or a blindingly annoying bright color and calls it good.
Vicioushellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 09:22   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicioushellsing
at least guard players bother trying to seperate their models so your opponent can tell what is going on. Whenever I see a tyranid player i picture old people with shuffle sticks scooting hordes of models across the board. "But moving them all individually takes too long" ugh that is why i hate tyranids. Not so much the army it is the players that will try to scoot two full units into melee and you see 30 models piled on top of each other.

Not to mention almost every nid player around here spraypaints their army black or a blindingly annoying bright color and calls it good.
We have a beastman player who does this. He basically measures to see if they can all get in and then scoops them up and piles them next to your unit. I make a point to tell him off whenever he does this (being GW staff has it's perks).

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 10:09   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hehe

I'm gonna get tyrnanids, but mainly warriors, so I shoudln't have that problem... too much. (Maximimum of 18+27+27 Warriors in one army... that's gonna hurt)...

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 11:09   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
Hehe

I'm gonna get tyrnanids, but mainly warriors, so I shoudln't have that problem... too much. (Maximimum of 18+27+27 Warriors in one army... that's gonna hurt)...
Considering the average points cost of said Warriors, 72 would easily be over 1800 points with minimal upgrades. Bear in mind the fact that you'll have to have some troops to make it a legal army and I'd say you'll have considerably less than 72 Warriors. That hurts a little less...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 15:29   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was being hypothetical ;D
Still, the fact remains in a 2000pt warrior-based list you could have, say 50, with other troops choices, maybe a carnie as well....

EDIT: Oops, way off-topic!!

Um, yeah, to differentiate Guard squads, I would colour the underneath of the bases (colour = platoon) and put a individual number (number = bloke in squad) under the base as well. On the shoulder pads I would have Squad Number

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 21:32   #28 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am the kind of person who just grabs random lasguns and then throws whatever the squad needs into it. I tend to just position my guys differently if they are too close to each other. Though I do it more for my own sake than my opponents.

Though another way you could use is forgeworld makes 3 different basic infantry squads (at ease, advancing,firing) You could always space them out so that the models doing the different actions belong to a unit. To me that just makes it too difficult to put away and set up when i have to spend even more time finding a model to go with a certain squad.

It is just faster to do it my way than search for a model with a different color shoulder or painted base.

Vicioushellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2009, 21:34   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

But if you put them in the case in rows, it shouldn't be that hard...

03/Feb/13
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:59   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
But if you put them in the case in rows, it shouldn't be that hard...
As my guard army grows I now have over 20 squads of infantry, and if I go over to a friends house to play for fun I usually bring almost everything. So I try to just lump everything in as little space as possible
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote