Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Things you would like to see in the new Imperial Guard codex.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Things you would like to see in the new Imperial Guard codex.

So...what does everyone want to see in the new Imperial Guard codex? Here are some things I would like to see:

1) Guard and conscripts reduced to 5 or 3 points, respectively and given no armor. For an additional point, they should have the option to get their regular flak armor. This is to be able to represent undersupplied regiments that might not have sufficient armor, or hive ganger units in PDFs.
2) More freedom to attach advisors to units without throwing them through the normal chain-of-command. Also, the option to attach Priests to Ogryns would be most appreciated.
3) An "improved commander" doctrine which allows Squad leaders to take officer-level wargear, to represent looting regiments like the Savlar Chem-dogs, or Hive ganger leaders.
4) The option for Stormtroopers to swap out their hellguns for shotguns at no cost, to represent units such as Elysian Drop-troops.
5) Salamander Scout Vehicles as an official (rather than a Forgeworld) model.
6) Bring back the Griffon Mortar.
7) Make the Sanctioned Psyker useful; give it the ability to choose a power.
8) Controversial Suggestion One: A doctrine that lets you pay extra points to swap out the lasgun with the basic weapon of another race for X number of points (using a cost table). This would be used to represent Armageddon Ork Hunters, Gue'vesa'la, or Genestealer Hybrids (the cost being an initiative modifier).
9) Controversial Suggestion Two: A doctrine that lets you take the troops choice of another faction as an elites choice. Used to represent Eldar mercenaries, Purestrain Genestealers in a Genestealer Cult, Tau attached to Gue'vesa'la regiments, or Ork Minderz in Von Straub's Honor Guard.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Things you would like to see in the new Imperial Guard codex.

Definately agree on freedom of choice on Advisors as well as shotties on stormtroopers. I also want to see all the 3rd ed tanks back and maybe a new one or two as interest for the loss during 4th. A general price drop across the board would be great as well as a fix for KP missions. A removal of independant character status on officers or a loss of their bodyguards is really all I'd ask for.

Some other nice things would be:

- Multimeltas for infantry squads
- Heavy stubbers in the special weapon slot, but modify their profile to either make them shorter ranged (18-24") and assault, or stronger and keep them heavy (maybe 5/5).
- Retain ability to use Storm Troopers as a troop choice
- 4+ save for ogryns
- Snipers changed to work like deathworld snipers
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
Guard and conscripts reduced to 5 or 3 points, respectively and given no armor. For an additional point, they should have the option to get their regular flak armor. This is to be able to represent undersupplied regiments that might not have sufficient armor, or hive ganger units in PDFs.
Amen. I wuld love to see cheaper conscripts (I feild 90 in 2500 pt battles)

Quote:
More freedom to attach advisors to units without throwing them through the normal chain-of-command. Also, the option to attach Priests to Ogryns would be most appreciated.
I would love to see something like this, advisors being more independant would be nice, i might actually take them.
If preists got better physcic powers, or they just weren't random that would be a huge improvment and I would see them more in none apoc battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
- Multimeltas for infantry squads
And plasma cannons too.

Perhaps for Kill point missions (if we keep infantry platoons) the entire platoon counts as one or two kill points, rather than every [insert explanitive here] squad.

Quote:
8) Controversial Suggestion One: A doctrine that lets you pay extra points to swap out the lasgun with the basic weapon of another race for X number of points (using a cost table). This would be used to represent Armageddon Ork Hunters, Gue'vesa'la, or Genestealer Hybrids (the cost being an initiative modifier).
9) Controversial Suggestion Two: A doctrine that lets you take the troops choice of another faction as an elites choice. Used to represent Eldar mercenaries, Purestrain Genestealers in a Genestealer Cult, Tau attached to Gue'vesa'la regiments, or Ork Minderz in Von Straub's Honor Guard.
I like. I'll just give all my guard tau pulse riftles >. No actually it's a really good idea, if we lose doctrines that could be a fun and cool way to customise guard armies.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would like to see it more like 2nd edition, where you can take advisors and put them in which ever squad you want.
BS 4 Snipers with stealth, or something to improve their coversave like everyother sniper.
I would like to see the Griffon back in 4th edition.
I would also like them to keep the basic formation of the units the same except maybe advisors.
It would also be nice if they kept doctrines, or if they just can't do that (look at chapter traits) atleast give us special characters that confer abilities such as drop troops and carapace armor.

And last but not least i would like demo charges be easier to take.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

1. More flexibility in the chain of command, like in 2nd Edition. Base the FOC on Officers, with everything else (retinue, extra squads, etc) being add-ons. For example, a Sr Officer as an HQ choice, and then retinue as upgrade. A Jr Officer as a Troops choice, with 3 squads as an upgrade, allowing attaching him to a squad rather than giving him his own small retinue.

2. Eliminate doctrines, and instead introduce a variety of squad types (light, scout, regular, mechanized), with some upgrades or options. Fill in some of the other aspects by Officer types (both HQ and Troops officers).

3. Snipers as a special weapon that regular squads can take. Also, sniper squads.

4. More tank types, squadrons of tanks, and ability to use more of the Russ' weapons (then I might put sponsons back on).

5. Being able to shoot through own units, with appropriate restrictions. This may get tricky, though, as it's easy to mix up platoons.

6. Keep Rough Riders. I have 10 Steel Legion ATVs done, and just need to do their riders, but I put the project on hold pending the new codex.

7. Ability to assign advisors where I want them

8. Improve the Lasgun (Assault-2 24", or a 3-shot rapid fire, or some other option). Give the current Lasgun attribute line to the Autogun

9. S4 Hellgun

10. 50 pt Chimeras (AFTER the multi-laser and hull heavy bolter)

11. More HQ options - an inquisitor and/or second officers (For example, a 2nd In Command)
Old 30 Jan 2009, 01:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

All I want is more HQ options and cheaper guardsmen. With that I will be happy.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

This is what i would like to see in the new guard codex.
1. Cheaper Guardsmen, with lots of upgrade options such as carapace, chem-inhalers and what not.
2. Keep the Grenadiers option.
3. strength 4 Hellguns.
4. More Variety of tanks (exterminator, executionor, Vanquisher).
5. Being able to have squads in a platoon shoot threw other squads in the platoon without confiring a cover save to what they are shooting at.
6. Change somthing with Ogryns that make them a better counter assult unit then they currently are.
"Your Foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have tanks on ours" -Colonel Joachim Pfeiff, Krieg 14th Armoured Regiment.
Blitz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 06:13   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

1. Storm Trooper and Hard Vets as Troops.
2. REAL Snipers (BS4 and T3) with the option of Camo Cloak
3. Orgyns with Stubborn and FNP
4. Specialized Infantry Platoons e.g. Heavy Weapons Platoon, Scout Platoon, Drop Platoon, Basic Infantry Platoon
5. Leman Russ (Vanquisher/Exterminator/Executioner)
6. Griffon
7. Overall drop in point cost.
8. New Heavy Weapons; maybe a Plasma Cannon.
9. Bikers
10. New HQ options
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 17:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I actually disagree with the people saying we should get multi-meltas and plasma cannons as heavy weapons in our squads, for several reasons. First, they are exceedingly rare. Yes, plasma and melta guns are supposed to be rare, but their heavy-weapon cousins are even more so. I would just have to say that that would be way too far a reach. If you want them, that is what servitors are for. Second, Space Marines may be able to lug around plasma cannons or heavy bolters by themselves, but guardsmen can't, hence why all guard heavy weapons are crew served. I can't see a good way to make the multi-melta or plasma cannon look cool as a crew-served weapon.

That said, here's what I would like to see in the new codex:

1. Overall cost reduction (at least to infantry). This seems to be the trend, with the basic troops of both Orks and SMs getting cheaper.
2. The option to give more units [str 4] shotguns (like Storm Troopers and command squads, and regular squads would be cool to)
3. Keep the option not to have a heavy weapon in infantry squads.
4. Fix the kill point issue. Guard a pretty much dead in any KP mission.

That's all I can think of right now.
TB
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally i would quite like the majority of the above. Plus some kind of special attack similar to the SM's orbital bombardment, But it would represent a bombing run or some kind of air support. Perhaps a large blast or two at maybe st8 or somthing like that?