Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New ig player
Old 18 Jan 2009, 02:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New ig player

I'm considering an Imperial guard army. Is it worth it? What is a doctrine? Is it possible to work around their bad infantry skills and make the infantry good? And this last question won't affect my decision at all, can you field a baneblade in a non-Apocalypse battle?
edit: thanks guys. lots of help. I have had 2 more questions since this was posted. they are: Can you change the doctrine with every battle? And also can you have an army that has Cadians Catachans and Vostroyans?

taubroadsidecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 02:45   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: New ig player

I love the Imperial Guard, one of my favorite armies in the game. So, in my opinion, yes it is very worth it. They can be challenging, or easy, depending on how you play it. A doctrine is a specific trait that can change the way your army works, it is not required.

Bad infantry skills? That is a joke, in fact, they have great skills, you just have to use them RIGHT. You don't just charge them into battle, you give all of them heavy weapons, mass them, make a ton of them, too many to be killed! Today I played a 3 player game, free for all. Pretty much it turned into beat on the IG player, I had 45 infantry left a Russ, and a Basilisk, after having taken most of the fire from an ork army and a Chaos army.

No, you cannot field the [b[Apocalypse[/b] baneblade in a non-Apocalypse in battle. However, with opponents permission you may use the Forgeworld Baneblade can be used with opponents permission, providing you have the rules.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 02:50   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Is it worth it?
Be a little more specific. But I'll try to answer the best I can. People tend to play Imperial Guard because they're fascinated by WW1/2, Vietnam War and other wars, they awed by the normal grunts that fought with nothing with their rifle and their comrade beside them. When you play the Guard, you're either a War Historian, Tread-head, those Gung-Ho US Marines in Vietnam etc. So, we don't play for winning, we play for the fluff and the theme. So, I'm rather insulted that you asked that "Is Guard worth it?". This is no mere "OMG! ELITE ARMY! LOL! I PAWNED YOU!". If you have this mindset, choose another army.
Quote:
What is a doctrine?
Something akin to 4th Edition Space Marine's Trait system. You can take a number of doctrines that will confer Special Rules or Special Units that aren't common to the common Guard Regiment. But the new Codex is coming and this will be stripped away and will be replace with a simple upgrade system or the unit is already in the codex e.g. Infantry Platoon, Drop Trooper Platoon, Heavy Weapons Platoon much like the current 5th Edition Space Marine Codex.

Quote:
Is it possible to work around their bad infantry skills and make the infantry good?
You either use Infantry Squads or Storm Troopers. They have their good and bad. There's no shame in using Infantry Squads as their numbers and Special/Heavy Weapons make up for their lack of body protection and low strength basic weapon.

Quote:
And this last question won't affect my decision at all, can you field a baneblade in a non-Apocalypse battle?
If the Guard is allowed to field a Baneblade in a non-Apocalypse game, everyone would want to play Imperial Guard. So, no.

EDIT: Icer, you Infidel Ninja!*

*Note to Mods: Don't worry. It's a thing between me and Icer. We like to call each other Heretic, Heathen and Infidel.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 09:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Fingon

Also every one laughs at the lasgun untill the imperial gaurd player brings around his truckload o Dice.
Quanty is a quality of its own. ;D

How does one kill that which has no life?

The statement below is false
----------------------------
The statement above is true
Fingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 01:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

come on guys i have two new questions please answer.

Old 19 Jan 2009, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

To tell you, it would be easier to just post the questions as a new post, not editing your first one, because it doesnt pop up in the Updated topics when you do that

As for your questions, no, you may not change your doctrines between each battle in tournaments, however, you can change them between friendly battles.

As for the second, why not? It would show regiments working together.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 03:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

I love IG! Human hordes supported by great vehicles with pie plates. I love Eldar, but it's nice to not have to think for a game and charge gung-ho. Personally, I would wait until the new codex comes out in May. Maybe they'll bring back Praetorians in plastic sets, idk. But some cool stuff is going to happen. It'd be great to just be starting out at that time. Plus you'll have the whole summer ahead of you to assemble, paint, fluff your army. Oh it'll be fantastic
Old 19 Jan 2009, 14:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 19 Jan 2009, 16:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Like most armies you either really like the IG or you well... don't.

Personally I love numbers, I love tanks, I love massed heavy weaponry and I love artillery. What more could you want?

Oh as for the Baneblade, I field mine outside of Apocalypse sometimes, as long as your opponent agree's it's fine and I only do it in games that would be roughly Apocalypse size anyway.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 16:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The best thing about guard is that there are so many options ;D.
Ive just started an apocalypse artillery army using the death corps of kreig army book.
If you want to use Catachans,Cadians and Voystrans in one battle you would need a pretty special scenario or to use Cadians as stormtroopers,Voystrans as Hardened veterans and Catachans as your basic grunts. Give them a colour scheme that suits all of them and your away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote