Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Basilisks?
Old 14 Jan 2009, 19:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Basilisks?

I am looking into starting an IG army and I'm curious if an army using thee basilisks is a smart Idea. I mostly play against horde armies. Basically I'm curious as to how you use a basilisk effectively and if its worth getting three of. If it is I will be getting the set of three on the GW site.
Kur0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Basilisks?

On the plus size you have three ordnance templates with a slightly higher strength then a Russ and cheaper, however you do pay for it, if you stick direct fire your Basilisk is far far more vulnable to return fire, armour 14 is tough to crack, armour 12 and open topped to boot does'nt like being spat at by a reasonable heavy weapon. Now yes you can counter this by going indirect fire, but this is far less useful then it used to be given you need terrain which completely blocks line of sight to protect your vehicle (something perhaps not as common as you might imagine) and secondly you have the large minimum range to consider, one vehicle placed in each corner of the board means they can cover each other effectively, but anything comming right at you will soon force you to abandon shooting or reveal your hidden basilisk to engage the target directly.

For my money a Russ is usually a better buy then a 'lisk.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree russes are generally more versitile than bassilisks (better armour, more weapons) though I do often take three bassies in larger battles and put them as far away from my opponent screened by infantry. I like them but it really depends on your meta game and army list.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 22:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Hey, if you ever play on a board that's twenty feet long they'll more than make up their points! Personally i like to field one of each tank: demo, russ, and a basilisk. Gives you the option to hang back or advance with basilisk support. Three russes is the best way to go, but I think it's a bit cheesy and you gotta love not having to measure something six or seven feet away.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 23:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The basilisk wasn't designed for your average tabletop. A three foot blind spot is horrible. For only 25-50 more points you can get a russ and it'll be much more effective.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 01:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for all your imput. you have all been very helpful.
Kur0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 18:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I'd suggest no more than 2 Bassies to begin with. For the simple reason that using 3 effectively is not very easy. Most boards I see don't have enough terrain to hide three tanks behind, two is usually possible but can be difficult, one is easy usually. I'd suggest no more than 2 Bassies, supported by a Russ. Some heavy armor to take a pounding and dish it back helps though you gotta love artillery.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 19:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I own two and a Leman Russ and it has worked wonders for me many times. I wish i had two more leman russ's because i think that would be a much more effective way to play but i spend 250 pts. On two basilisks every game and i think they've failed to buy their points back maybe once. I usually place them on opposite corners unless we're playing spearhead. I even use them to kill tanks. If they survive at least two or three turns they should definately do some damage.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow. I saw the lemon boxes for most games will be a way better option. even by 4th the poor bascalisk didn't get much love but they were better. hopefully the new dex will knock the min to like 18" or something like that. 3ft min is just way to easy to get in that min range.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 23:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Basilisks will need a good retooling to become more effective for your average 4x4 TT game. As of now they're pretty much just apoc worthy, or if you play on a very large table.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote