Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

heavy bolters or missle launchers
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jan 2009, 11:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default heavy bolters or missle launchers

ok i'm trying to figure out which option is better for my run in the mill squads.

for troop control i've had about the same rate of success with both. but I havn't played enough 5th edition games to see if the extra 5pts is worth it or not.

also the missles give me more anti-tank options as well.

i'm worried more about anti-troop though more than anti-tank. so I just want to hear really what's more effective against troops. while being cost effective as well. mathematical hammer is encourage as well.

my caps key on my phone is broken and no spell check either. will come back and edit when i'm home and on my pc.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 13:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: heavy bolters or missle launchers

I would go for mostly H.bolters with a couple of missile launchers for flexability. About 80% of my basic squads have H.bolters with the final 20% having missile launchers (I use my fairly useless platoon command squads to field the bigger guns). The H.bolter is your best weapon when it comes to taking down infantry, with its good STR and high rate of fire it even gives marines problems (its the best anti MEQ heavy wep availible to your basic squads). I prefer to keep most of my basic infantry squads with anti infantry weapons as you can make use of the lasguns (and bolter my vet sgt has). Shooting tanks wastes all of these shots and whilst 1 lasgun isnt much, wasting 32 lasguns and 4 bolters it becomes a problem (especially at rapid fire range as it becomes 64 las and 8 bolter shots)!

For some reason I dont have the spell check feature availible either? Was it removed with the site's last upgrade?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I vote neither! Take AC's. They're the perfect middle ground. At S7 they can shoot at everything but AV 14, as well as wound just about anything on a 2+. Not only that they have 48" range and AP 4, so you can deny a decent number of things their saves and reach all the way across the table.

Old 10 Jan 2009, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

A second vote for the autocannon. A very effective weapon 2 shots also helps with the lower guard BS.
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
Old 10 Jan 2009, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I find Missile Launchers a bit too much of a "Jack-of-all-Trades" weapon; can't wound MEQs so easily and can't even do shit at a Medium Vehicle (FAV11-12). So, I suggest take a balance of Heavy Bolters for Anti-Infantry action and Autocannon for Light and Medium Vehicle Hunting.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 15:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Zen, are you crazy? Missile launchers autokill any marine on a 2+ and tear through any vehicle with an AV less than 13, remain reliable against 13 and are still sort of capable against 14...
Old 10 Jan 2009, 15:29   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Zen, are you crazy? Missile launchers autokill any marine on a 2+ and tear through any vehicle with an AV less than 13, remain reliable against 13 and are still sort of capable against 14...
Maybe I should have said that's my experience. Where I play there's a abundance of 4+ Cover Save. So, I threw away trying to get pass their Armor Save and just go for sheer number of shots which work better.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 16:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

well in my opinion I like my ac in heavy weapon teams or on a sentinal. I think it's a waste to put it on a normal squad. I like my normal squads to be anti-troop first than anti- vehicle second. lasguns is not the best weapon in the world. but enough of them will put some pain on any troop.

that's why i'm looking at the missle launcher or heavy bolter to fill that spot. I find I hit more with the missle launcher but do more damage with a heavy bolter against marines.

the autocannon is a good light anti- vehicle weapon but not to much anti infantry. i'm already using meltas and plasmas for anti- vehicle already which i'm running 16 of those weapons so far and may up it to 20.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Maybe I should have said that's my experience. Where I play there's a abundance of 4+ Cover Save. So, I threw away trying to get pass their Armor Save and just go for sheer number of shots which work better.
Fair enough. lol We don't play on boards with ridiculous cover so much, so marine squads are typically easy fare for missiles.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I generally go for MLs in my basic squads and ACs in my platoon command squads and sentiels for fire support.
The 6' X 4' board I play on generally has lots of cover on the long edges and a fairly open centre with a lava river across, only 3 bridges mean that since my most common opponents are horde orks and shooty CSMs I usually end up blasting the orks as they bottleneck themselves on the bridges and have a long ranged shooting battle with CSMs, this is when ML and AC 48'' range really pays off
hope that helps
Rmyr

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
Closed Thread