Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guardsmen Recruitment
Old 09 Jan 2009, 01:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Khalastas
Default Guardsmen Recruitment

Hey all,
O.K. In my days, I have collected Necrons, Tyranids, Chaos and now I want some loyalists, and I have always been appealed by Guardsmen.

If I were to actually collect an Imperial Guardsman army it would be heavily themed and completely customized - and I am thinking of two possibilities:

A) German WWI style (roughly Death Korps of Kreig), with Officers having grey coats, pointy helmets, gas masks, rough riders, lots of artillery.

B) Jungle Warfare (Vietnam kind of thing), with Cadian troops (I hate the Catachan models, they are TOO macho!) In strong camoflague patterns, models covered in foliage and mud, lots of Basilisks (Best, TANK, EVER!), Camoflagued snipers with Ghillie suits and of course Flamers.

I don't know the first thing about Imperial Guard, and I am somewhat broke at the moment, but I was wondering what you could tell me about it and give your opinions and what not.

Thanks,
-Khalastas
Old 09 Jan 2009, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Guardsmen Recruitment

WW themed armies are a dime a dozen. Enough equipment from the guard is based on WW era anyways, sort of redundant if you ask me.

I think the jungle theme would fare better. i'm a big fan of camo. Although please don't use black! It's a horrible color for camoflage because black doesn't occur anywhere in nature, sort of pointless. Part if the reason the military switched to ACU/ABU patterns.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 05:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Definitely not black.
Not sure of colour scheme, but any exposed skin will have streaks of brown/green paint, suits covered in grass shrubbery.

I would also do alot of Wire Mesh Ghillie suits (You can see it here: http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/4...er/default.htm )
Not those colours though. I'd paint the guy underneath before hand also.

Yeah, I was really excited about the WWI guys but now it seems cliche. Definitely thinking Jungle warfare.

Preffered weapons would represent the weapons of the day: Autoguns, Flamers, Heavy Stubbers.

Thanks,
-Khalastas
Old 09 Jan 2009, 15:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I could actually see Jungle fighters prefering lasguns to autoguns.

reason? Jamming.

autoguns, like modern firearms have many working parts that get fouled up by mud and dirt(plenty of both in jungle). Lasguns have few(if any) moving parts to get messed up.

Though flamers would be a given.

now if only we could take naplam... though a hellhound might work for that.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 20:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
I could actually see Jungle fighters prefering lasguns to autoguns.

reason? Jamming.

autoguns, like modern firearms have many working parts that get fouled up by mud and dirt(plenty of both in jungle). Lasguns have few(if any) moving parts to get messed up.
That's very true. Remember, only Siege regiments are equipped with Autoguns as standard because of their enormously high casualty rates. Autoguns are much easier, faster and cheaper to produce than lasguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Enough equipment from the guard is based on WW era anyways, sort of redundant if you ask me.
The only things that are based off of WW equipment would really be a few tank shapes. The only ones I can think of are the Leman Russ(sorta) and the Centaur.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The old Land Raider was very similar to some WWI tanks.

And DKOK are pretty much just a copy.

Thanks,
-Khalastas
Old 09 Jan 2009, 20:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
The only things that are based off of WW equipment would really be a few tank shapes. The only ones I can think of are the Leman Russ(sorta) and the Centaur.
Considering how prevalent the Russ is, I'd say it's a big aspect.

Mordian HQ platforms are very WW.

I was going to say DKoK but Khalastas beat me to it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalastas
B) Jungle Warfare (Vietnam kind of thing), with Cadian troops (I hate the Catachan models, they are TOO macho!) In strong camoflague patterns, models covered in foliage and mud, lots of Basilisks (Best, TANK, EVER!), Camoflagued snipers with Ghillie suits and of course Flamers.
I like the catachan jungle warfare idea, there are lot's of cool conversions that I rarly see.

No one can ever be TOO macho ok maybe gigantic muscles, six packs, and the shirt hanging open, 'Nam style is a little over the top... :P
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 00:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Haha. I just hate the current Catachans, it's so wrong! They are massive, buff guys. They should be regular Cadian models with camoflague and stuff.

Mabye it's the old 'bright' painting of Games Workshop that makes them wrong. Hmm.

And, I have the Imperial Guard list thing (Off of Games Workshop website) and it doesn't have Autoguns anywhere. And I am not buying the Codex until I have 1500pts of each Tyranids and Chaos Space Marines.

Thanks,
-Khalastas
Old 10 Jan 2009, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
now if only we could take naplam... though a hellhound might work for that.
Marauders have a napalm like-thing.

Guardsmen-
http://bobthebuilt.deviantart.com/ar...oster-98448744
click on it.

Apature science would to remind you that the weighted companion cube does not speak and if does it is recommended that you disregard its advice
thedestroyerofworlds is offline   Reply With Quote