Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultramar Regiments
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Ultramar Regiments

So I've got a small guard army atm that I'm going to be adding too hopefully very soon, but I'm not sure what Regiment to use it as. I was thinking about making my own but I'm now considering making the army as an Ultramar Regiment to fight alongside my Ultramarines in Apocalypse games, maybe even an Ultramar PDF force. My question is, do any of you think that would be odd, or people wouldn't get it? Think anyone would have a problem with an Ultramar Regiment or ask too many questions?

Also what color scheme and/or markings would be appropriate? I was thinking Ultramarines blue armor with urban camo fatigues, the standard inverted Omega with the Regiment number on the left shoulder pad and squad numbers on the right, and then medics identified by white helmets with a red cross cause I don't have the actual metal medic models. But that's just the rough scheme atm, I'm not sure how good it would look and I'm totally unsure about how to do the vehicles, whether I should do them in a mixed blue and urban camo, just blue, or some solid blue plates amongst urban camo scheme or... what? Thoughts?

By the way for anyone interrested my army currently composes:

Command Platoon
-Command Squad (5), x2 GL, Master Vox, Medic, Officer w/ PF
-Mortar Support Squad (6), x3 Mortars

Storm Trooper Squad (10)
-Melta, GL, Vox Caster, Officer w/ PW
-Chimera Transport, Multi-Laser, Pintle-Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

Infantry Platoon
-Command Squad (5), GL, Vox Caster, Medic, Officer w/ PW
-Infantry Squad (10), GL, AC, Officer, Vox Caster

Infantry Platoon
-Infantry Squad (10), GL, Officer, Vox Caster

Leman Russ
-Hull Lascannon, x2 Heavy Bolters, Pintle Heavy Stubber

I'm also planning on getting another Cadian Battleforce ASAP to flush out the heavy weapons and Infantry Platoons some more, and a box of cadians to whip together some more mortar support squads and maybe some remnant squads for the infantry platoons to use the rest of the models, then probably another unit of mounted Storm Troopers when the plastics come out and a Bassilisk for some artillery (gotta love Artillery).

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Ultramar Regiments

The colour scheme sounds good, and I really think it could work.

Consider lifting the colour scheme from the Space Marines; Companies / Platoons / Squads use the colourings of their equivalent Marine Company (ie: 3rd Platoon, 1st Squad would be Red / White. 5th Platoon 4th Squad would be Black / Green, etc).

For vehicles, paint them Camo, but use a section in 'marking' colours; the front segment of the tracks is the traditional spot. Look at some older pics of Guard vehicles and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

My local GW has some Ultramar guard modelled onto their terrain, and they just did it in basically the same colors of ultramarine scouts, with an ultramarines logo on the shoulder pads. But I assume they would dress appropriately to the warzone, meaning your scheme would be fine.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
My question is, do any of you think that would be odd, or people wouldn't get it? Think anyone would have a problem with an Ultramar Regiment or ask too many questions?
I think it's a grand idea! I wouldn't even find it odd, nor have a problem with it, it'll make the army from super cool to uber super cool. :P But perhaps you can have a little background/story explaining why the regiment is with the Ultramarines, just so if any one asks, or questions, you can point them to the fluff.

Quote:
Also what color scheme and/or markings would be appropriate? I was thinking Ultramarines blue armor with urban camo fatigues, the standard inverted Omega with the Regiment number on the left shoulder pad and squad numbers on the right, and then medics identified by white helmets with a red cross cause I don't have the actual metal medic models. But that's just the rough scheme atm, I'm not sure how good it would look and I'm totally unsure about how to do the vehicles, whether I should do them in a mixed blue and urban camo, just blue, or some solid blue plates amongst urban camo scheme or... what? Thoughts?
When I played on DoW (years ago now) - I had the exact same colour scheme that you're implying, and I must say, it did look awesome. I wish I had screenshot'd some pics for you, but I never thought it at the time. :P

Quote:
By the way for anyone interested my army currently composes:

Command Platoon
-Command Squad (5), x2 GL, Master Vox, Medic, Officer w/ PF
-Mortar Support Squad (6), x3 Mortars

Storm Trooper Squad (10)
-Melta, GL, Vox Caster, Officer w/ PW
-Chimera Transport, Multi-Laser, Pintle-Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

Infantry Platoon

Infantry Platoon
-Infantry Squad (10), GL, Officer, Vox Caster

Leman Russ
-Hull Lascannon, x2 Heavy Bolters, Pintle Heavy Stubber

I'm also planning on getting another Cadian Battleforce ASAP to flush out the heavy weapons and Infantry Platoons some more, and a box of cadians to whip together some more mortar support squads and maybe some remnant squads for the infantry platoons to use the rest of the models, then probably another unit of mounted Storm Troopers when the plastics come out and a Basilisk for some artillery (gotta love Artillery).
Good list Vash, and with the extras, I'm sure it'll be impressive, oh, what about adding a super heavy? Baneblade maybe?

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use the cadian color scheme in the codex with red shoulder pads and brown and red camo fatigues. I then painted all my tanks blood red with silvers and blacks for the treads and other things. I think that would work well for an ultramar army just instead of red blue and instead of brown and red maybe a black a grey camo. But you should definitely consider big bright blue tanks because i love my red ones.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like it, sounds cool, just make sure to have plenty of Ultramarines iconography, because they seem to want to put the inverted omga everywhere.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The colour scheme sounds good, and I really think it could work.

Consider lifting the colour scheme from the Space Marines; Companies / Platoons / Squads use the colourings of their equivalent Marine Company (ie: 3rd Platoon, 1st Squad would be Red / White. 5th Platoon 4th Squad would be Black / Green, etc).

For vehicles, paint them Camo, but use a section in 'marking' colours; the front segment of the tracks is the traditional spot. Look at some older pics of Guard vehicles and you'll see what I mean.
That's an interresting idea with the infantry markings, where would I put them though? The helmets maybe, Company color in a stripe down the middle and then platoon/squad color as a stripe down the middle of the company stripe maybe. Or Platoon/squad instead of Company/Platoon. After all I made sure every model has a helmet on or on their belt when I ran out of helmeted heads. I also suppose I could represent company color by the color of the left shoulder pad and then have the inverted omega over that.

Oh and what color should the lasguns be? I was thinking perhaps having the lasgun color represent company number, ie white for red for 3rd, green for 4th, black for 5th and so forth. Or just a general black or red or grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
Good list Vash, and with the extras, I'm sure it'll be impressive, oh, what about adding a super heavy? Baneblade maybe?
Way ahead of you:

As you can see in the 3rd Image there's a large Ultramarines U on the left side of the tank forward of the weapons sponson. I also added a lot of other details including aquila segments to the front and back of the track sections... yea I had fun sifting through my bits box one day... I'm considering adding a few more giant purity scrolls, the one I've done so far turned out better than I was expecting.

I'm also planning after I get another box of Cadians and a Battleforce possibly adding a new Stormsword or whatever the new weapons kit is, and 1-2 Valkyries if those are released, if for no other reason than to support the new large plastic kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon
I like it, sounds cool, just make sure to have plenty of Ultramarines iconography, because they seem to want to put the inverted omga everywhere.
Oh yea... 6000 points of Ultramarines painted already, and upside down omegas everywhere.

Old 06 Jan 2009, 03:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

You think your so tough, Baneblade and all....

Meet, the COBRA!!

That is... if I had one.........

Damn you ForgeWorld and your ridiculous prices! No matter, my pointy-eared prancing warriors shall destroy you regardless... Send in the partially clothed Banshees!!

Anyway:
1:Grrrrrr.... More Ultras
2:Cool idea
3: GRRR MOAR ULTHRAS!
4: IG For The Win!
5:.... must I say it?
6: ANOTHER ARMY O.o?
Old 06 Jan 2009, 18:14   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
That's an interresting idea with the infantry markings, where would I put them though? The helmets maybe, Company color in a stripe down the middle and then platoon/squad color as a stripe down the middle of the company stripe maybe. Or Platoon/squad instead of Company/Platoon. After all I made sure every model has a helmet on or on their belt when I ran out of helmeted heads. I also suppose I could represent company color by the color of the left shoulder pad and then have the inverted omega over that.

Oh and what color should the lasguns be? I was thinking perhaps having the lasgun color represent company number, ie white for red for 3rd, green for 4th, black for 5th and so forth. Or just a general black or red or grey.
Again, we shall turn to the Ultramarines for answers!

The weapons I would paint Blood Red; the traditional colour of Ultramarine weapons.

For the company / platoon / squad markings, I'd go with shoulder pads; inner colour denotes platoon, outer colour denotes squad or somesuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 20:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm the Shoulder Pads aren't that big though, it may get sort of crammed working in the colors and then the various squad numbers and the Regiment symbol and number. Hmm... I'll have to think about it.