Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Harakoni Warhawks
Old 02 Jan 2009, 07:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Harakoni Warhawks

Hey all,

After just flicking through the ig codex and still having trouble deciding what kind of army to play i came across the harakoni warhawks. On first impression, they seemed pretty cool. But i soon found that they did not exactly have the best choice of doctrines. Carapace armour...... Does anyone think that it would be ok to re-do the doctrines to some that i see more fit? ie. iron discipline. I'd also like to know if anyone plays harakoni and if so, how they play them.

thanks,
MOOMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 14:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Harakoni Warhawks

I use an army very similar to the harakoni, just swapping out the storm troopers for hardened fighters.

There's two main schools of thought on carapace. More men or harder to kill men.

On one hand you get a 4+save, really good against AP 5 weapons(basic weapon AP of almost every army in the game)

on the other hand you're giving up a 3rd squad of infantry in every platoon(command squad and 2 squads with carapace).

it's really a matter of preferance. Would you rather have men that can survive some fire or have enough men, to not have to worry about it.

I prefer carapace, put it's almost completely a matter of preferance, neither choice is truely better that the other.
[hr]

it's fine to change the doctines so long as you have no more than 5. You could change some doctrines around from the cadians to make a cadian light infantry, mechanized, etc.(though I would think that you'd have to have some things the same like cadian's iron discipline)

Taking away the harakoni's carapace would change the regiment IMO(Carapace seems pretty much vital to them being "Harakoni", nothing saying another regiment didn't try and copy the harakoni but didn't have access to the heavier armor) but it's you're army it's you're choice.

If you want to do it don't let me or anyone else talk you out of it if its something you want to do. But it's perfectly fine besides all you're gonna do is use 4 of the same doctines and have a 5th one different. It's perfectly legal in game terms, so if you want to do it, go for it.

-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 14:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

In my book Drop Troopers are probably the only force (fluff aside) that I'd seriously consider using Carapace on, heres my reasoning.

Drop Troops tend to get in close and use massed lasgun & special weapons fire rather then hang back at long range, at long range most of your early casulaties will be from Heavy Weapons fire which will more often then bypass even Carapace Armour. Meanwhile at short range your straight into small arms range, against just about all standard small arms you'll get your save, something Flak is unlikely to do, one good sized marine squad can rapid fire a flak armoured unit to death, assuming average saves it'll not be able to do the same too a Carapace armoured unit.

Now you can say about cover saves, however as a Guard Drop Trooper that is unreliable, you may well scatter so that cover is useless, and sheltering behind a friendly unit to get a cover save is also risky on account of mishaps - and you certainly will be better off shooting rather then running after hte drop to get into a better position most of the time. Of course you could try an land in cover, but here you risk casualties from deep striking into what is probably difficult terrain.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for all that,

Im starting to see the lighter side to carapce armour..
It seems like it would be fairly difficult to play a drop troop army, seeing as though deep strike is awfully unreliable as you said before . But it would be cool to have a fire base of a couple of squads then in the later turns of the game deep strike 4 squads simultaneously behind enemy lines. So I have to keep 4 of the doctrines that the codex has under harakoni warhawks but I can change one?
Old 02 Jan 2009, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

nah

if you change one you have a different regiment(I think. I could be thinking the 4 ed SM codex that says you have to use a specific trait/doctrine set for a specific regiment)

but you can have 5 doctrines. If you just happen to have 4 of the same doctrines as the harakoni that's fine. But that Harakoni have those 5 specific doctrines.

though if you can think of a good reason for the harakoni to drop carapace and have better officers go for it.

I was just saying something like special equipment and skills and drills, seem like something you shouldn't change if they come from the same world you'd think they would have gotten the same training and equipment.

but as I said before if it's something you want to do, don't let me talk you out of it. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it. At least not and still call them harakoni, you could always make your own regiment with their own world and history, rather than take one of GW's. Sky pretty much the limit on backgrounds and different world types(just try to keep common sense in mind )

My own drop guard started as a color sceme on the DoW game, that looked like volcanic camo. They came from a volcano world. A world with lots of lava couldn't move many infantry or tanks without air support so drop troops mounted in valkyries. Come up with some doctrines fitting my background and now I have a regiment, world and doctrines. All started as a cool camo pattern.

Their's nothing wrong with using the harakoni as a base. It may just be me but I dont feel right to change their doctrines without a good fluff reason(like changing some cadian doctrines to make a cadian mechanized regiment for example.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2009, 07:51   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yeah thats cool .

Using the general concept of the harakoni warhawks is probably what I will do as you said. Then i'll add the fluff corresponding on the doctrines that i choose.

thanks again