Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sisters of Battle allies?
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Sisters of Battle allies?

Hey, i have a 1500 point imperial guard army and i was wondering weather witchhunters would be a good ally for my army. I don't know too much about them just that the models are pretty cool and it would be nice to have some power armor in my army. Any advice on which units to add to a guard army or if its even worth it at all?
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Sisters of Battle allies?

The Basic battlesister squad is a wonderful unit. The offensive firepower of a Space Marine squad at the cost of a stormtrooper, and that's before you take Acts of Faith into account. Rending Flamers? Yes please.

So, in my experience the basic Battlesister squad is the way to go, with a Superior to make them Faithful.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

would it be a good counter assault unit? because thats what i really need i hate ogryns to expensive both model wise and points wise.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 01:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
The Basic battlesister squad is a wonderful unit. The offensive firepower of a Space Marine squad at the cost of a stormtrooper, and that's before you take Acts of Faith into account. Rending Flamers? Yes please.

So, in my experience the basic Battlesister squad is the way to go, with a Superior to make them Faithful.
Faith is tricky. I think you start with a couple faith points, but to get more a sister superior or other high rank model needs to die.

As for allies, yeah, a normal squad is great. Seraphim can give some nice, fast anti-tank to a guard army as well, and you should look into them. Seraphim can fill the counter-assault and the tank-hunter roles pretty evenly.

Old 02 Jan 2009, 01:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Putting Sisters with power armour into your guard force is a cheaper alternative to space marines and sisters have a lot to offer. They have good saves, and good ballistic skill and rending flamers and faith points can be very useful. Both Seraphim and squads of power armoured sisters are useful. I also like a Cannoness with Litanies of Faith and Celestians for a nice powerful and reasonable squad. Celestians have Holy Hatred and always hit on a 3+ as if they had preferred enemy. Add a Vet sister Superior with the eviscerater, and you hit on 3ís and wound on 2ís ignoring saves. Take her a retinue for your Canoness and you still have all your elite slots free for your guard. Sisters need to get close to be effective so with the guard providing long range support they make a good fit

I would add this to my guard for 500 points

Canoness - 278
- blessed weapon, cloak of st. aspira, book of st. lucias, litanies of faith
W/
- 5 celestians 2 flamer
vet ss, eviscerator
Immolator - xarmour

Seraphim squad - 225
- 7 Seraphim 2 flamer
vet ss, brazier of holy fire, power weapon, book of st. lucias

Now you have two mobile hard hitting squads, a free faith point without testing and the ability to use that divine guidance for some serious damage. Spirit of the Martyr might also be useful. The squad sizes are a bit low in number but with a few good rolls you should be okay.

If you want to add more sisters to up the allies to around 750 points you can go with

Sisters squad - 206
- 10 sisters melta/Hflamer
vet ss, book
Rhino - xarmor

The above is a pretty standard squad without any fancy upgrades. A power weapon on the vet ss and/or a brazier of holy fire would be a nice addition and adding smoke to your rhino would not hurt.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 10:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I too have been thinking about this. Try reding this thread i made on the inquisition board for some help. You might find it useful. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=76218.0
Old 02 Jan 2009, 14:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sisters of Battle are great, but they're at their best when used for firepower, getting in close with massed bolters and flamers, they're not what I'd call a Counter Assault unit which from your second post seems to be what your after (with the possible exception of a Canones and Seraphim combination, but that's hungry on the Faith Points to use effectively and as allies you probably wont have many). I'd far more likely suggest Roughriders, they're of course part of the guard codex, they're cheap points wise, nasty on the first charge so that they can take on most opponents, especially MEQ's which tend to be the biggest problem for guard in assault and can cover a large area of your battle line thanks to their 12" charge and fleet of hoof.

Oh and if you really want 'power armour' you can combine Carapace & Xenos mounts (from WD) to give them a 3+ save - though it has to be said thats expensive defeating Roughriders simple cheapness!

Also dont forget you dont have to model them as Cavalry if you dont want and horses are'nt your things. People use all sorts of biological mounts as an alternative to horses, be it giant lizards, polar bears or whatever, or you could have them riding bikes or even modelled as Jump Pack troops, the world is your oyster!

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote