Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Out of touch Guard player looking for a briefing. :D
Old 01 Jan 2009, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Out of touch Guard player looking for a briefing. :D

Hiya!

I've been out of the 40k loop for quite a while, but recently I've gotten an itch to start up my Guard projects and update it for 5th edition. I do know the 5th edition rules pretty ok, but I don't know how they've affected the Imperial Guard in general and my favorite units in particular.

So, if it's not too forward, I'd like to know how Guards fare today, and some units in particular. Since rumour has it that Doctrines are going to go bye-bye, I don't really see the need to go into those.

Snipers - I have a squad of Guardsmen Snipers. I know, I know, ratlings are better, but are these guys better or worse nowdays?
Armoured Fist Squads - are these guy's still worth having? I really like my chimeras, and they do seem to be a bit more surviable than they used to be, so I guess that protects my now much more important troops, right? I've never liked the SIGAFH approach as much as the mechanized one. I guess I'm too much of a tau player at heart.
Storm Troopers - I have a squad of these guys too, in a chimera, with some plasmaguns. They've preformed well in the past, and I guess that's pretty much the same? What do people use stormtroopers for nowdays?
Rough Riders - I have ten rough riders. I love the little horse'd buggers. I'm guessing they're usedul for storming objectives and stuff, maybe?
Sentinels - With the changed Scout rules, are these guys finally worth taking? I have three, just because of the awsomeness of the model, but I'd like to know if people use them, and how?
Support Squads/Tooled HQ squads - are these worth taking? I always enjoyed them, because I feel stupid fireing 2 Autocannon and 18 useless Lasgun shots at tanks, but do people use these, and if so in what manner?

A lot of questions, maybe. I'm grateful for any and all tips I get.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Out of touch Guard player looking for a briefing. :D

As far as a tooled up command hq goes it really helps seeing as in dawn of war deployment they really limit the amount of units you can field but guard command platoons can deploy all of it at the same time. As far as chimeras go i love i still use em i always will but they keep getting assaulted by gaunts and ork boys and getting immobilized and sometimes destroyed. In the 5th edition rules when vehicles are assaulted its always to their rear armor. Storm troopers rock i often field em as grenadiers to hold objectives seeing as only troop choices can do that now. Don't know much about ruff riders but i want to get some just to see how affective i can make em.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I generally only play against Death Guard and other Imperial Guard, so having my chimeras assaulted by gaunts or ork boyz won't be much of a problem. Glad to hear they're not totally hopeless, at any rate.

Another thing I've been wondering has been how our Heavy and Special weapons are ranked nowdays. With coversaves on vehicles, are the one-shot Lascannons Missile Launchers a waste of points? and that sort of thing.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 00:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well i have yet to get a vehicle in cover but maybe thats because of the scenery we use. But lascannons have helped me on occassion i usually keep a squad with one in a chimera rush em to an objective in the third or fourth turn and try to just shoot everything away till the game ends. Its helped me kill a few monstrous creatures but oddly enough no tanks yet. My stormtroopers are the tank killers deepstriking in with two plasma guns. I need to buy the melta gun models.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 02:13   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Snipers - I have a squad of Guardsmen Snipers. I know, I know, ratlings are better, but are these guys better or worse nowdays?
You mean those Snipers from the Special Weapons Support Squad? Worse. In the 5th, you're hitting on BS which means 4+ to hit and 4+ to wound. Ratlings are better per say.

Quote:
Armoured Fist Squads - are these guy's still worth having? I really like my chimeras, and they do seem to be a bit more surviable than they used to be, so I guess that protects my now much more important troops, right? I've never liked the SIGAFH approach as much as the mechanized one. I guess I'm too much of a tau player at heart.
It's one of those player's preference. If you want to Mechanized, go for it. Just remember there's always a learning curve for every army and their play style.

Quote:
Storm Troopers - I have a squad of these guys too, in a chimera, with some plasmaguns. They've preformed well in the past, and I guess that's pretty much the same? What do people use stormtroopers for nowdays?
Anything, basically. But Mechanized List tend to let their vehicles do the shooting while the Infantry they're carrying disembark from their transport and sit an objective. But that depends on the situation as well.

Quote:
Rough Riders - I have ten rough riders. I love the little horse'd buggers. I'm guessing they're usedul for storming objectives and stuff, maybe?
That and as a Counter-Assault unit. Pretty good against TEQs. But not the MCs.

Quote:
Sentinels - With the changed Scout rules, are these guys finally worth taking? I have three, just because of the awsomeness of the model, but I'd like to know if people use them, and how?
In the 5th Ed, Outflanking. With outflanking Sentinels your opponent will always watch their flanks and maybe draw units from the center to protect the flank.

Quote:
Support Squads/Tooled HQ squads - are these worth taking? I always enjoyed them, because I feel stupid fireing 2 Autocannon and 18 useless Lasgun shots at tanks, but do people use these, and if so in what manner?
Now, this is really a player's preferences. This you have to experience yourself. But as a rule of thumb, keep your units cheap but give the essential upgrades.

Quote:
As far as a tooled up command hq goes it really helps seeing as in dawn of war deployment they really limit the amount of units you can field but guard command platoons can deploy all of it at the same time.
No. In the DoW Passage, it says "Unit", not "Choice". So, you can only deploy up to one HQ unit (Your Command Squad) and two Troop units (Command Squad or Infantry Squad. Chimeras count as one Troop unit btw)
Quote:
Another thing I've been wondering has been how our Heavy and Special weapons are ranked nowdays. With coversaves on vehicles, are the one-shot Lascannons Missile Launchers a waste of points? and that sort of thing.
You can say that. I've been moving from AT Heavy Weapons to Multi-shot weapons like Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. And template weapons as well. Though I take Meltaguns on my DSing Hard Vets.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
worse. As zenai said you need you BS to hit and still wound on a 4+. However with the sniper rifles now rending. Ratlings are better nowadays. You could always have your snipers count as ratlings.

Quote:
Yes these guys are still usefull but not as vital. With the new run rule normal infantry squads can move quite quickly. But an AFS can still have it's uses. In fact with the new diticated transports rule it may be a good idea so it can transport whatever squad you want not just the AFS. Like if you're storm troopers get their ride shot from under them and you wanted to keep them in a transport.

Quote:
I usually deep strike them, especially now that deep striking has a smaller chance of you're troops just dieing now. Putting them in a transport may be nice for a "drive by" at 12" 3 str6 and 4 str7 is nothing to laugh at, it even stands a decent chance to pop a Russ if you get side armor.

Quote:
I've never used rough riders, If theres one unit of MEQs on the objective yeah they'd be fine. Any more and you'd kill one squad and die now that you can't consolodate into a second unit after wiping out another unit, so they'd be sitting ducks. If you do that just remember to have some infantry following up because the RR can't hold the objective.

Quote:
I love these guys. I've used outflanking on several people and it's highly effective. I perfer the heavy flamer(I use drop troops so these guys either drop or outflank depending on the situation). If you play against something like a tau or guard gunline nothing is more scary than a flamer sentinal coming up in the perfect position to barbaque a whole squad(and charge the survivers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Now, this is really a player's preferences. This you have to experience yourself. But as a rule of thumb, keep your units cheap but give the essential upgrades.

Quote:
As far as a tooled up command hq goes it really helps seeing as in dawn of war deployment they really limit the amount of units you can field but guard command platoons can deploy all of it at the same time.
No. In the DoW Passage, it says "Unit", not "Choice". So, you can only deploy up to one HQ unit (Your Command Squad) and two Troop units (Command Squad or Infantry Squad. Chimeras count as one Troop unit btw)
Most players won't care if you deploy a 2 troop and a HQ choice. But if you are going by the RAW(though it's so hard to spot only an almost insane powergamer would spot it in the first place) You can only deploy your entire HQ platoon and only 2 infantry squads.

the way the rule is worded says(paraphased) that HQ: "The platoon counts as a unit that deploys individually" where as the Troops: "The platoon deploys at the same time as individual units"

But as I said most players won't care about that little word twisting. Especially if you mostly play against other IG, because that rule is just as good for them as you.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you all for the tips! I'll cherish the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
You could always have your snipers count as ratlings.
Yes, I've been thinking about that. Kind of puny Guardsmen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
I've never used rough riders, If theres one unit of MEQs on the objective yeah they'd be fine. Any more and you'd kill one squad and die now that you can't consolodate into a second unit after wiping out another unit, so they'd be sitting ducks.
That sounds more or less like they used to be, though. Against pretty much anything but Tau the Rough Riders tended to be a kind of one-shot weapon, as they loose their Hunting Lances.
Old 03 Jan 2009, 08:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just a second!

Quote:
I've used outflanking on several people
You're cheating!

Since the Rule book says that the codex rules take precedence over rule book rules, and the codex scout rules (imperial guard scout rule) doesn't mention outflanking, by RAW you cannot outflank. You have a very similar rule, with the same name, but can't out flank.

Oh, and by the way, my local GW store owner told me that I couldn't take human snipers as ratlings, even though I had converted these guys with the intention of being ratlings. (don't like ratling models). Kind of a WYSIWYG thing apparently

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2009, 12:17   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Darth Riah, that's your store. You have to remember there's hundreds of 40K Clubs and Stores around the world who has different interpretations on things. Like in my store, I can use Cadian Snipers instead of Ratlings because I told my Club Manager that Ratling models suck donkey balls and he doesn't mind.

Then about Sentinel and Outflanking. We're already 2 editions behind so playing friendly is OK with RAI is fine as long as your opponent doesn't mind. Same goes with the DoW; I can deploy my entire Platoon if I wanted too.

You have to remember that there's a difference of environment and different players that ruled the store between different stores and clubs. I'm just lucky that my store frowns upon Powergamers and Rule-Lawyers that either been silenced or exiled as we all are just there to have fun.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 20:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Darth Riah, that's your store. You have to remember there's hundreds of 40K Clubs and Stores around the world who has different interpretations on things. Like in my store, I can use Cadian Snipers instead of Ratlings because I told my Club Manager that Ratling models suck donkey balls and he doesn't mind.

Then about Sentinel and Outflanking. We're already 2 editions behind so playing friendly is OK with RAI is fine as long as your opponent doesn't mind. Same goes with the DoW; I can deploy my entire Platoon if I wanted too.

You have to remember that there's a difference of environment and different players that ruled the store between different stores and clubs. I'm just lucky that my store frowns upon Powergamers and Rule-Lawyers that either been silenced or exiled as we all are just there to have fun.
Honestly, the IG codex was made for 3rd ed, so though RAW may not state that sentinals can outflank, thier still using an old rule called "scouts". I regularly play against a guy who uses converted snipers because, yes, the ratlings look terrible, I mean who walks around into a warzone with bare feet?
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote