Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dawn of war deployment issues
Closed Thread
Old 29 Dec 2008, 07:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Dawn of war deployment issues

When playing dawn of war deployment would I deploy just one infantry squad from an infantry platoon or the whole platoon?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re: Dawn of war deployment issues

They count as ONE TROOP CHOICE

However dawn of war deployment says you can only deploy TWO UNITS of troops.

So the answer is, only 2 units regardless of if it's all one troop choice or not.

Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

That is not entirely correct. Your entire HQ FOC counts as one unit, and each individual squad in the infantry platoon counts as a unit.

It's stated in the description of the HQ choice that is counts as one unit for deployment, whereas for the infantry platoon it states that each is an individual unit.

Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
That is not entirely correct. Your entire HQ FOC counts as one unit, and each individual squad in the infantry platoon counts as a unit.

It's stated in the description of the HQ choice that is counts as one unit for deployment, whereas for the infantry platoon it states that each is an individual unit.
Yeah the HQ counts as 1 unit, even if you take 5 units in the HQ Platoon they all count as 1 unit for deployment.

But it doesn't say the same for the Troop Platoons, thus you can only take 2 units like everyone else of Troops.

Giving a maximum total of 7 units that could be deployed during dawn of war deployment. 5 units in the HQ Platoon and 2 units from the Troop Platoons(only 2 units even if you have 10 actual units in your troop platoons counting as 1 troop choice).

Am I right or wrong?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

But in the normal rules for deployment, it says platoons are deployed at the same time, and rolled for collectivly for deepstrike, infilitrate, and reserves. I'm for the opinion that you deploy 1 HQ and 2 troops in dawn of war, and that means two platoons.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
But in the normal rules for deployment, it says platoons are deployed at the same time, and rolled for collectivly for deepstrike, infilitrate, and reserves. I'm for the opinion that you deploy 1 HQ and 2 troops in dawn of war, and that means two platoons.
We are talking about the actual rules in the rulebook however. To say that you 'think they meant' two platoons is like you said, your own opinion correct?

And 'normal rules for deployment' that you mentioned are all special deployment rules during the game that take place AFTER everything is deployed, like infiltrate, deep strike and such rules.

So do we agree that by RAW the way it is currently written in the rulebook and in Codex Imperial Guard you are NOT given the option to deploy 2 InfantryTroop Platoons in Dawn of War?

As this is a privilege reserved for the HQ Platoon which specifically mentions they are always deployed as a single unit, rather than only saying they are a single HQ choice.

If you want to deploy more troops in dawn of war you could use Conscript Infantry Platoons which DO have the option of counting as 1 unit for deployment purposes.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not a child, you don't need to bold everything important.

So, how is this fair? I get my HQ platoon and 2 squads of 10, and someone else can deploy units of 10 marines, or 32 gaunts, or a lot of orks...

I don't have my codex ATM, but I will check it. I'm almost sure it says they count as a single unit, and if not, the Dawn of War rules need an errata for current ed guard. It makes no sense, in game and fluff terms, for two platoons to send just a single squad each forward...

EDIT: That sounded snappy, sorry. I just find bolding every important thing annoying. Once again, sorry for that snap at you.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with "..." that the guard are supposed to deploy more that turn seeing as every time i play akaiyou he deploys 40-50 orks and i only get 20 guardsmen.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calian Gecko
I'm not a child, you don't need to bold everything important.

So, how is this fair? I get my HQ platoon and 2 squads of 10, and someone else can deploy units of 10 marines, or 32 gaunts, or a lot of orks...

I don't have my codex ATM, but I will check it. I'm almost sure it says they count as a single unit, and if not, the Dawn of War rules need an errata for current ed guard. It makes no sense, in game and fluff terms, for two platoons to send just a single squad each forward...

EDIT: That sounded snappy, sorry. I just find bolding every important thing annoying. Once again, sorry for that snap at you.
Note: If you were in fact sorry you 'could' have just edited the post, however I assume that you assumed that I already saw the post so all is forgiven in the name of the emperor. lol

So here is my answer.

I just read through the Imperial Guard codex and the wording for Infantry Platoons is completely different to the wording for the HQ Platoon and the Conscript Platoon.

So you ask how is this fair?

Well you can get a buckload of stuff in your HQ, something that no other army can do. So this is already a major bonus for dawn of war.

And you also have the OPTION of taking 50 Conscripts from 1 platoon. Or if you really want an infantry platoon then you can ONLY deploy 1 unit.

Take a look at those pages i have it infront of me as we speak it's all worded clearly. Conscripts and HQ count as a single UNIT while Infantry Platoon counts as 1 troop choice. GW was very specific about it.

It makes perfect sense your infantry platoons get better options than the conscripts and allow for armoured fist to be played. So in essense your infantry platoons are your 'stronger' troops. If you want bodies go for conscripts.

The same exact way that me as a Tyranid player have the option of either going for a bunch of gaunts in every unit or a couple genestealers.

So yes this is FAIR.

Gaunts = Conscripts
Genestealers = Infantry Platoon

in terms of game balance during deployment. (because obviously the stealers would murder the infantry platoon in terms of actual fighting).

By that same token the same goes to Orks.

Boyz = Conscripts
Nobz as Troops = Infantry Platoon.

Gas19d knows that we always play by RAW and the raw as written by GW says 'if you want more bodies take conscripts'

Otherwise what would conscripts be good for? Who would want them?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

We have the option for an uber massive HQ, yes, but that is expensive, and gets you teams of six expensive men with varying weapon options. To me, it makes no sense fluff wise to deploy all the fire support units ahead of the main infantry.

Yes, conscripts are for better bodies, but in some armies that take doctrines, it takes another doctrine to take conscripts, and, yeah.

I agree that the rules say two squads of guardsmen troops, but I will say it SHOULD be two platoons.