Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tank upgrades
Old 28 Dec 2008, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default tank upgrades

just wanna know what upgrades do people normally take on there tanks i normally take tank tracks and extra armor on my Russes for 15 points. also does anyone have an opinion on tank tracks (10pts for a 4 up save from immobilisation). looking for comments and upgrades people take. thank you.
"Your Foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have tanks on ours" -Colonel Joachim Pfeiff, Krieg 14th Armoured Regiment.
Blitz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 23:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: tank upgrades

on chimeras I usually run a heavy stubber and extra armor and smoke(9 shots sitting still and it can keep moving).

on a Russ though I just run the extra armor, so you can hopefully get to some cover or at the very least keep moving so you arn't auto hit in melee.

As for tank tracks, I think they're worthless IMO. You really don't use a russ for much other than a battlecannon(or demolisher cannon). If you're immobilised you can still shoot, however if you make that save you can't move or shoot and against any army that wants to get into melee with you(which is probally everyone except tau) that main cannon not firing is what they want, and ranged armies don't want it shooting because it just simply kills anything out of termie armor(and just anything at all if you're running a demolisher)

that's not even taking into account that you are still paying 10pts for something that only works 50% of the time.

it may and I repeat may be usefull on a chimera with a uber-melee-squad-of-death(like a tooled out command squad) for so you can keep moving but you're transport is still stunned and can't move for a turn.

It may be just me but the main cannon on the russ(and varients) are just too good to give up to keep your tank moving(under 4th maybe so it would be scoring but not now).

The best you could hope for would be the opponent kept firing at the tank and getting immobilised results(or weapon destoryed with no weapons) and you keep making those 4+ saves and possibly contesting an objective.

if you find it usefull go for it but I just can't see them being any real use.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I take absolutely nothing. My points are better spent on more guardsmen.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:26   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I only only Sponson weapons nowadays. Maybe that will change in the new Codex.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 13:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I take sponsoon weapons- that's it. Though right now I'm tied down to taking a hull weapon as well, as I got most (all-right now) of my army second hand, WYSIWYG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I take absolutely nothing. My points are better spent on more guardsmen.
That would be my reason for it.

"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 21:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I model a lot of stuff, usually I'll use the odd thing, such as a stubber, or extra-armor.

Really, I thought I'd never say this when I started playing, but I use smoke launchers almost every game, they're just fantastic! And with transports, the fact you can't fire doesn't do much to dissuade me from them, I've had many MANY tanks saved from crippling blows or even destruction thanks to that.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I take stubbers on nearly all of my tanks.
Other than that, sponsons..

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Currently my only Tank is my HQ Chimera for which I used the older 2nd edition chimera (or is it early 3rd Ed)

So it has a stormbolter on the turret above the cannon, and I added the FW, track guard nad Extra armour skirt.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 23:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Smoke launchers and heavy stubbers. Leader tanks (Squadron commanders and HQ tanks) get sponsons.

Extra armor is there if I have extra points. It's useful, but not always so.

Hunter-killer missiles would be great if you could get an upgrade, where they are less per shot, but you can have a rack of six of em (or sacrifice your hull mount for six of them.) It would be like a Sherman calliope.

Old 31 Dec 2008, 16:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Transports as a rule for me get Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers, keeps them safe and keeps them moving.

My Russ tend to benefit from a Heavy Stubber and Searchlights, partly because it's part of the model as I use Conqueror Turrets (yes it comes with a Storm Bolter but I have converted them a little and lets face it theres no excuse to have a Storm Bolter over a Heavy Stuber unless it's already modeled and you dont wish to change it or you REALLY cant find those extra 2pts), partly because added to this are three Heavy Bolters allowing the tank to lay down a fair bit of anti-personel fire, this used to benefit mostly in 4th Edition as it was truely mobile firepower, though it can still be useful in 5th as an alternative to the battlecannon when the main gun is lost OR the target is well spaced OR a single model which cant be instant killed and has more then one wound.

Smoke is bad for gun tanks, a round with smoke popped is a round your not shooting, extra armour I can do without as well.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote