Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG Command Squad Deployment - Dawn of War
Closed Thread
Old 20 Dec 2008, 06:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default IG Command Squad Deployment - Dawn of War

Ok the rules for dawn of war deployment are strict in that no more than 1 HQ and 2 Troop UNITS are allowed to be deployed during set-up.

However the imperial guard book says the command squad counts as 1 unit for deployment.

This conflicts directly with the Dawn of War deployment rules as you can have a bunch of units in a command squads. So does anyone know what the official ruling for this is? How do you deploy in DoW?

Only one unit of your command squad? Or the whole thing?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 07:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: IG Command Squad Deployment - Dawn of War

Okay lets go over this again...

DoW deployment - Deploy 1 HQ unit
Comand squad - Counts as 1 unit for deployment.

Does that answer your question?

KP is so ridiculously broken for us, we might as well get an advantage somewhere...

Old 20 Dec 2008, 09:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

But whole command platoon counts as one unit for deployment, rolling for reserves, etc so you should be able to deploy them all (and any sentinels you have (scouts))

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Uh, yeah. I just read the IG Codex and it says that Platoons counts as ONE Choice in regards to Deployment and Reserves otherwise act as independent units.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

That is one major advantage then, jeez.

And KP is bad for guard that is true, but guard also have the biggest cheesiest advantage in objective games, seeing as guard can field more troop options than anyone else.

I will inform my friend then that next game he can deploy his whole command platoon during DoW. I hope a new IG codex fixes that for 5th edition.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 11:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nothing wrong with that, we just need more missions!

Old 21 Dec 2008, 19:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou

And KP is bad for guard that is true, but guard also have the biggest cheesiest advantage in objective games, seeing as guard can field more troop options than anyone else.

I will inform my friend then that next game he can deploy his whole command platoon during DoW. I hope a new IG codex fixes that for 5th edition.
How is that cheesy? As a 'Nid player, you should realize why we need numbers. A 6 pt guardsmen cannot stand against a 4 pt orc boy, or a squad of gaunts on their own. So to give us a break, we get to deploy more stuff first. I hardly see that as unfair.

Oh, and those aren't troop choices either. They're a double edged sword. If you go without a armoured fist, you need two platoons, which adds up to seven six squads (four basic, 2 platoon command) and then one HQ squad. As a minimum! I think that's a base points cost of 360 points, no upgrades. That only really leaves us guards palyers 140 points for customization at 500 point levels.

Sorry if thats a bit of a rant, I just find it annoying how some people (And dont get me wrong, they are far, far worse than you.) do not see the weaknesses hidden behind the Guards strength. If we only deployed two normal squads and our HQ squad, leaving our fire support off table, we'd be crushed. One similarly sized group of marines would but the hurt on, bad. So the deployment rules even things out.

I do agree however, that if abused, it becomes unfair. Abused: Lascannon anti-tank teams, autocannon fire support teams, and two platoons with six squads, deployed all at once.)
Old 21 Dec 2008, 21:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou

How is that cheesy? As a 'Nid player, you should realize why we need numbers. A 6 pt guardsmen cannot stand against a 4 pt orc boy, or a squad of gaunts on their own. So to give us a break, we get to deploy more stuff first. I hardly see that as unfair.

Oh, and those aren't troop choices either. They're a double edged sword. If you go without a armoured fist, you need two platoons, which adds up to seven six squads (four basic, 2 platoon command) and then one HQ squad. As a minimum! I think that's a base points cost of 360 points, no upgrades. That only really leaves us guards palyers 140 points for customization at 500 point levels.

Sorry if thats a bit of a rant, I just find it annoying how some people (And dont get me wrong, they are far, far worse than you.) do not see the weaknesses hidden behind the Guards strength. If we only deployed two normal squads and our HQ squad, leaving our fire support off table, we'd be crushed. One similarly sized group of marines would but the hurt on, bad. So the deployment rules even things out.

I do agree however, that if abused, it becomes unfair. Abused: Lascannon anti-tank teams, autocannon fire support teams, and two platoons with six squads, deployed all at once.)
That's exactly what im talking about, it's a major advantage depending on what you deploy. You can bring in some really big heavy hitters early on if you get first turn your opponent is pretty much screwed.

In regards to deployment look at it from my point of view as Nid player who's army specializes in cc.

Mission wise Guard have major advantage 2/3rds of the time due to objectives and the sheer amount of troop choices you can put out.

Then in deployment you have an advantage in spearhead missions due to it being a much longer walk to get in assault range than it is in a pitched battle. And I thought the advantage in spearhead deployment was even out by dawn of war giving cc armies the advantage but damn to find out that u also have the advantage there too? that just sucks!

They definetly need to rework the Guard codex. Because yes it can be 'balanced' but it can also be easily abused and most players like winning. Facing down a bunch of flamers/heavy bolters and other heavy anti-infantry artillery right from the start is not very fair, specially in large amounts. That makes me feel like im bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 22:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

In DoW a Tyranid player can throw down two huge squads of gaunts and a flyrant in the middle of the board. If those gaunts are Hormagaunts, they can potentially assault anywhere on the map first turn with a good fleet roll. How is that fair? The only way the guard can cope with it is to put more models on the board.

Old 21 Dec 2008, 23:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
In DoW a Tyranid player can throw down two huge squads of gaunts and a flyrant in the middle of the board. If those gaunts are Hormagaunts, they can potentially assault anywhere on the map first turn with a good fleet roll. How is that fair? The only way the guard can cope with it is to put more models on the board.
We have far more downsides than you are accounting for.
1. Anywhere on the board? don't forget a tyrant is only 1 synapse creature so that greatly limits a tyranid army. So no tyranid will travel 'anywhere' on the board simply because the hormagants or whatever gants must deploy near the tyrant if they want to make an accurate move that turn.

2. Fleet = Assault after running. So i'm guessin you mean with a good "RUN" roll? In which case nearly everything except for vehicles in every army in 40k is able to 'run' so it's not even a 'tyranid advantage' anymore like it was in 4th edition.

3. And here is the kicker the more gaunts we lay down on you the more chances of killing you we have! That is not GOOD because if we rush in and kill your unit of guards that is probably 10 man strong with our 32 Gants then their other 40 friends will happily shoot those gaunts to hell and back making it a gigantic loss for tyranids.

4. Add in the fact that because it's DoW deployment u wont have vehicles for the Tyrant to target so even the tyrant will have to either HIDE or assault a cheap unit of guard that are worth a quarter of his points. Only to be shot to hell and back by the incoming guard during the guard player's first turn.

lol the problem with guard is that they are too weak to withstand being assaulted by nids. And in the new rules winning combat during ur own turn means u gonna get shot the next turn..and we all know how crappy guard shooting is right? lolz