Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Weapons
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Imperial Weapons

It seems that every one bags the Las-gun.why it is a magnificent weapon capable of doing lots of damage so why do people bag it ??? i have no answer sorry but i have a funny story about how much damage las guns can do:
My friends space marine command squad was strolling down the left flank and they all had artificer armour so i concentrated my fire on them the heavy bolters ricricocheted their armour and they didn't even flinch the auto cannon fell short of the target but my guard squad aimmed and fired typical guard shhshootingly 5 hits and 1 wound and guess what it killed him where heavy bolters and auto cannons failed the trusty las-gun perveiled.

please reply with any good las-gun stories i'd love to hear them

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 20 May 2005, 23:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Imperial Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Walsy
why it is a magnificent weapon capable of doing lots of damage so why do people bag it ???
People derail the lasgun for two reasons: It is not magnificent or capable of doing much damage. At S3 it has only 50/50 chances of wounding a normal human being and it cannot even penetrate animal hide. Killing an art-armoured SMurf is nothing but sheer luck and weight of numbers; you have a few heavy bolters and one assault cannon, whereas with lasguns you can rack up to what, 40 shots per squad?
Old 21 May 2005, 00:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

CAN YOU STOP GIVING THE GUARD A HARD* > >TIME JUST BECAUSE YOUR ARMY PROBALY CONATINS ARMOURED SUPER MEN IT DOESN'T MEN YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE IMPERIAL GUARD FEEL BAD I MEAN BOLTERS ARE ALL GOOD AND THAT BUT I BELEIVE LAS GUNS ARE THE MOST RELIABLE WEAPON IN THE GAME IF A INFANTARY SQUAD IS IN RAPID FIRE RANG THEY CAN ( WHEN USED PROPERLY) CREATE BODY COUNTS HIGHER THAN WHEN A SQUAD OF ORKS OR TAU TRY AND SHOOT AT SOME ONE

Edit by FT. Could you stop with the capticals please.

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 21 May 2005, 02:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whoa, would it kill you to watch your mouth/caps lock?
1) I do not use an army of "armoured super-men". I play Tau, and part of me despises the insanely over-powerfulness of the SMurfs.
2) Lasguns are most likely the most 'reliable' infantry weapon. In our own times you can buy a less powerfull version for less than $5.
3) How in heck are IG supposed to cause more casualties than Tau? Both weapons are RapidFire (pulse and lasguns), but the Pulse rifle has: 6" higher range, 2 higher S, an AP of 5 as opposed to none at all.
4) Who cares about Ork's shooting abilities? They're designed to swamp, not snipe.
Old 21 May 2005, 03:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Guys.. Guys... This is just another one of those cases where fluff doesn't equal rules. In the fluff, Lasguns are capable of blowing peoples heads off by super-heating them until they pop. However, in the game they are only given s3 and no AP... the rules really screw with the fluff on the lasgun and its a real shame.

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 21 May 2005, 10:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

So one of you is stating lasguns are good when you're feeling lucky?

But yes, lasguns do stink to high heaven, but when I guardsmen only cost 12/2 amount of points giving them a strong weapon, such as a pulserifle, or bolter would be unfair, because you just by troops and swamp them with strong shots...
Old 21 May 2005, 11:52   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

First off, you need to recorrect your assessments:

The default, normal stats are thus:

[table][tr][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]7[/td][td]4+[/td][/tr][/table]
These are the "base" stats for 40K. Anything better than this is above average, anything less is below.

Thus you can imagine why the Guard are disliked: Most armies have "super" stats, making them far better than basic units.

Likewise, the Lasgun is similarly outshone by "uber" guns sported by most races.

Games Workshop made a terrible mistake in 40K, and that was this: They worked from Marines down, instead of Guard up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 May 2005, 12:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Games Workshop made a terrible mistake in 40K, and that was this: They worked from Marines down, instead of Guard up.
Wow.. what a good line to sum it up in... Nice one Wargamer.

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 21 May 2005, 14:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very good call, but if you radiate outwards from the Guard up you do see a somewhat logical connection to SOME other races. Tau are less skilled at CC and have poorer reflexes but better gear; -1 WS, -1 I, +1 Sv. The boosting of every stat but wounds and attacks seems to make sence for the SM enhancement, but moot point; The SMurfs will allways be hated for their cheese-o-matic overtones.
Old 22 May 2005, 11:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to epc-Felix

Guard are meant to be a massive wall of flesh to stop the oppsoing army from reaching there Artillery. Meat shield :P thats what i find when i read there fluff.