Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions? Master Vox, vox-caster, die-hards, iron disipline, and chem-inhaler
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Questions? Master Vox, vox-caster, die-hards, iron disipline, and chem-inhaler

OK I have a couple of questions that needs clearing up. Instead of posting 5 times I was hoping to just do this in one post. I hope this is OK. If not I could always increase my post count the other way around.

First question is with the Master Vox. With the master vox my whole army can use the leadership of your HQ officer without a vox caster attached to the squad. Or do you need a vox caster in the squad that want to benefit from the increased leadership of the HQ officer. If not than my Master Vox is all that i need would be cool. But if it is the case than i need to put vox casters in all my squads to benefit from the master vox effect. Also that squad only can use it once per turn or can they use it more than once.

Second question is with the vox-caster. If I understand correctly than if your HQ has a vox-caster than only one squad with another vox can use the HQ leadership. So instead of all my squads using it more than once with the master vox I can only use this effect once per turn with only one squad right.

Die-Hards: So for example if a x unit assault my guard unit. This x unit inflicts 4 unsaved wounds and I inflict none. I will normally take a -4 modifier. But with this ability i shouldn't get the -4 modifier right. Also if a vox-caster is in the squad I can use a cm HQ leadership right.

Iron Discipline: So I can regroup and not take a -1 modifier.

Chem-Inhaler: So no matter what. Example tyranids and chaos -1 modifiers to leadership. They will get no negative modifiers. Also you can opt to be pinned instead of falling back.

I'm basically trying to see if iron disciple w/ die hards is better than chem-inhaler for one. Also I don't want to start modeling wrongly and have to come back and chop of heads. Also with the master vox question i wanted to see if it's worth taking more than one commissar or not.

I just want these questions answered so I can save time and money that's all.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Questions? Master Vox, vox-caster, die-hards, iron disipline, and chem-inhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
First question is with the Master Vox. With the master vox my whole army can use the leadership of your HQ officer without a vox caster attached to the squad. Or do you need a vox caster in the squad that want to benefit from the increased leadership of the HQ officer. If not than my Master Vox is all that i need would be cool. But if it is the case than i need to put vox casters in all my squads to benefit from the master vox effect. Also that squad only can use it once per turn or can they use it more than once.
The Squad must have a Vox-Caster to benefit from the Leadership Special Rule that's extended by the Master-Vox and if they're 12" away from the Officer.

Quote:
Second question is with the vox-caster. If I understand correctly than if your HQ has a vox-caster than only one squad with another vox can use the HQ leadership. So instead of all my squads using it more than once with the master vox I can only use this effect once per turn with only one squad right.
Yes. A Command Squad with a normal Vox-Caster can confer the Leadership Special Rule to only one squad per turn.

Quote:
Die-Hards: So for example if a x unit assault my guard unit. This x unit inflicts 4 unsaved wounds and I inflict none. I will normally take a -4 modifier. But with this ability i shouldn't get the -4 modifier right. Also if a vox-caster is in the squad I can use a cm HQ leadership right.
Correct.

Quote:
Correct as well but what do you mean "a -1 modifier"?

Quote:
Chem-Inhaler: So no matter what. Example tyranids and chaos -1 modifiers to leadership. They will get no negative modifiers. Also you can opt to be pinned instead of falling back.
Uh, again what's this "-1 modifier for leadership"? But yes to the latter.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Questions? Master Vox, vox-caster, die-hards, iron disipline, and chem-inhaler

1- Other squads still need a Vox to benefit from the effects of the master Vox. The master Vox just makes it so instead of only one squad being able to use the HQ's leadership, every squad WITH a Vox can use it once per turn.

2- Yes, only one other squad with a Vox (Per turn) may use the HQ's leadership if the HQ only carries a Vox.

3- No. The way Die-Hards works is you don't count modifiers for being outnumbered by your foe. For example, say ten Marines assault your Guardsmen. They kill six, and you kill two. You now have 4 Guardsmen in the squad while they have 8 Marines. Normally, you would have negative modifiers for being outnumbered 2:1, but not with Die-Hards. I believe that the Vox is unaffected and you may still use the HQ's leadership.

4.When in leadership radius of an officer, and using that officer's leadership, you do not count the -1 modifier on morale for being under half strength, and you can still regroup (Halt the retreat) if under half strength.

5. Yes. No negative modifiers are used on you. Your leadership 7 stays at leadership 7.

Personally, I like Chem-Inhalers better, but they can both get pretty expensive. What I usually see people do is use Iron Discipline.

Regarding Vox casters, they can be useful, but most of the time your Guardsmen are probably going to be in Officer range anyways.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Correct as well but what do you mean "a -1 modifier"?

Quote:
Uh, again what's this "-1 modifier for leadership"? But yes to the latter.
[/quote]

The -1 modifiers i was referring too is from shooting and your squad is below half. Also the Tyranids have an ability that tag on -modifiers to your leadership and the effect is cumulative. I wanted to know if the guard can be immune to that effect or they would suffer from it.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I believe you don't get the "-1 Modifier to Leadership" for being half-strength in the 5th Edition. And yes, Chem-Inhalers are immune to the cumulative negative to leadership thing as it states they take an unmodified leadership for morale test and such.

And I've read the IG Codex again. I think Die-Hard has been made obsolete by the 5th Edition as they're no more negative modified leadership for being outnumbered.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey this helped clear up some things on the vox for me as well!
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 16:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

OK let me re- word the die hard part. Cause I was conceding the 5Th and not the 4Th when i asked the question. I was wondering if it's been revamped to be used with unsaved wounds than with being outnumbered.

Yeah I'm glad my questions cleared things up. I already building my army and been had these questions. I realized that I need them answered so I can finish building my army.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 19:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

But be careful by using the vox, though.
If you run a Commissar in the HQ squad, and the squad using the Officers Ld fails and legs it. Well...byebye Mr. Officer. (Though it's extremely funny everytime it happens xD)
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 19:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't say that you have to be careful about it, you get a better LD out of it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 20:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
OK let me re- word the die hard part. Cause I was conceding the 5Th and not the 4Th when i asked the question. I was wondering if it's been revamped to be used with unsaved wounds than with being outnumbered.
unfortunatly no. They have not edited die-hards in the FAQ, so it still means outnumbering. So Die-hards is now completely useless.

though their's nothing saying you and your friends can't make a house rules saying that Die-hards affects wound modifiers rather than outnumbering but you have to get opponents premission.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote