Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Baneblade
Closed Thread
Old 22 Nov 2008, 15:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Baneblade

Can the baneblade be used in non Apocalypse battles? Also what ig vehicle can be used in regular battles?

Old 22 Nov 2008, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Baneblade

Never. It's not even going to be in the new Imperial Guard Codex if you're wondering. So, your opponent pretty much must ask your permission before using it as well as have the rule for the Baneblade at hand AND give you time and allow you to use an Apocalypse unit to prepare against it.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 15:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Baneblade, like all superheavies, may be used with it's regular 40k rules - not the Apocalypse "datasheet" - in a game of 40k.

However, you must have your opponent's consent, and you must be playing games of over (in most cases) 2,000 points.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 19:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubroadsidecommander
Can the baneblade be used in non Apocalypse battles? Also what ig vehicle can be used in regular battles?
If you have the proper Baneblade rules, yes. However, it is intended for games of 2K or more.

Here's a tip; the real Baneblade doesn't come in an Apocalypse ruleset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To answer the latter part of you're question the Imperial Guard may field
Leman Russ battle tank , Leman Russ demolisher siege variant, Basilisk heavy artillery, Hellhound flamethrower tank, Sentential scout walkers, and the Chimera armoured infantry transport.
I know there are forge world variant I am leaving out but I think that covers everything in the Codex.
By the way you do own the Guard codex right?

First thing first, but not necessarily in that order! - Doctor Who

Fight well and Die well. What more can a guardsmen hope for?

Duality is key, good and evil, dark and light, only when both come toghether can man truly prosper.- Lord Bale

No matter what you do to me I am safe in the knowledge that nobody cares about me anyway!
Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by taubroadsidecommander
If you have the proper Baneblade rules, yes. However, it is intended for games of 2K or more.

Here's a tip; the real Baneblade doesn't come in an Apocalypse ruleset.
So what other guard vehicles can i not use? Where can i get the rules? And what do you mean ruleset.

No im considering buying ig. Also does anyone know what all units are lypse only.

Taubroadsidecommander - be sure to use correct spelling and punctuation and please avoid double posts. (posting twice in a row). Use the modify button instead!
-AC

Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can use ANY model in a normal game of 40k. As long as you have rules for it and the other player is fine with it.

Old 23 Nov 2008, 00:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The proper, no apocalypse rules for a Baneblade are found in Imperial Armour Volume 1 from Forgeworld.
If its rules are in that book, you can use it in a regular game with opponents consent. If they aren't, then the unit is Apocalypse only.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 14:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think USAFTACP said it best - It doesn't matter in the least if the rules can be found in an Imperial Armour book or not if you need your opponent's consent to use them anyway! You could quite merrily make up your own and run them by your opponent. Imperial Armour rules are not 'official' in the same way as codex rules; they're just guidelines that put all units under their purview to a common benchmark. Sure, the notion is that an Apocalypse battle opens the door for all manner of outrageous vehicles and monstrosities as are detailed in the datasheets. But in a conventional game only codex army lists can be played without giving your opponent notice, so it doesn't matter which set of rules you use for the Baneblade, or even if you make up your own, because your opponent's got to be on board with it anyway!

The common notion as to why opponent's consent for non-standard units is required is that the armies set out in the codicies are as balanced as GW can manage while still each retaining their own unique identity. They are redressed and updated as the core rules change (some more than others) and prevailing rules conflicts are covered in FAQs. The problem with Super Heavies and their ilk is that they sometimes upset the balance (not least because their rules are seldom updated). In the case of the Baneblade, the owning player would be putting himself at a significant disadvantage by playing one as per the IA1 rules. Conversely a player fielding a Vulture with Heavy Smart Bombs using the IA3 'Death from the skies' rules would be gaining a disproportional advantage.

So the short answer is this - The Baneblade is only a legal unit in an Apocalypse game, and then only in regards to the rules laid out on its datasheet (why anyone would want to use any other rules though is quite beyond me). But the fact remains that it's a tabletop game and you can do whatever the hell you want so long as your opponent is happy to play along. It's for mutual enjoyment so if you and your opponents want to bring in a squadron of machinegun-wielding flying pink elephants as reserves, then have at it!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 14:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

As Tom said the Baneblade's rules in Apocalypse can be used in standard games with opponents permission. Just like the Forge World rules. I don't understand this "real" Baneblade rules notion. Whichever rules you use though you need your opponents consent, but as long as your opponent is ok with it you should be fine. But you shouldn't be trying to bring a Baneblade along in a 1000pt game. You shouldn't be looking to bring a Super Heavy vehicle at anything under 2000 points and over 3000 would be better.

As for other IG vehicles, anything in the IG Codex you can bring, which means the IG Codex should be your first purchase before anything else.

Closed Thread