Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Baneblade
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2008, 14:54   #11 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Baneblade

I could buy a pet turtle a glue guns on it's back and use it as a Squiggoth as long as the other player is fine with it. Also as long as PETA doesn't find out.

Old 24 Nov 2008, 00:05   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
I could buy a pet turtle a glue guns on it's back and use it as a Squiggoth as long as the other player is fine with it. Also as long as PETA doesn't find out.
You may get blamed for cheating when your opponent has to look up a rule in his codex and looks up to find that your turtle has moved out of line of sight.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Old 24 Nov 2008, 02:56   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd let somebody use a baneblade in lower points games. If he wants to spend 1/2+ of his points on one model, fine by me. I've watched some games like this, and also read some battle reports with a baneblade/other super-heavy in small games. Super-heavy guy ALWAYS loses.

I'm not even sure it's a wise decision in apocalypse. Wouldn't four Leman Rusees be better?
Old 24 Nov 2008, 03:11   #14 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You may get blamed for cheating when your opponent has to look up a rule in his codex and looks up to find that your turtle has moved out of line of sight.
Well that just happens to be one of the special rules of Touche The Squiggoth. Also any model he touches (friend or foe) when he goes on his "rampage" gets hit by a Str10 monstrous creature attack.

Old 24 Nov 2008, 11:53   #15 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm - Ron Paul '08!
I'd let somebody use a baneblade in lower points games. If he wants to spend 1/2+ of his points on one model, fine by me. I've watched some games like this, and also read some battle reports with a baneblade/other super-heavy in small games. Super-heavy guy ALWAYS loses.

I'm not even sure it's a wise decision in apocalypse. Wouldn't four Leman Rusees be better?
There's no doubt that Baneblades as per the Imperial Armour 1 rules are nothing but a giant points sink, but Apocalypse Baneblades on the other hand are another matter. For one they're substantially cheaper. Two - They've got an AP2 pizzaplate cannon that can re-roll scatter after scoring a hit with the coaxial autocannon. If its weapon loadout were the same as the original Baneblade I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that army-flattening cannon is really something to be fearful of. Folks with Terminators rightly fear Demolisher cannons, but they're short ranged and will only ever likely smear as many as three Termies at a time with the right spacing. But the Baneblade battle cannon can merrily squash entire squads at once. In an Apocalypse game a Baneblade can quite feasibly score back its own worth in a couple rounds of shooting - Which is well because it is likely that is all it will have.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 13:03   #16 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

If, you want to be an absolute sod, you could argue that it is only apocolypse where you have the extra extra large blast and S D rules, meaning that an Apoc BB in 40k is like a castrated male hooker - useless

Remember kids - if in Apoc, use Apoc. If in 40k, use the IA rules. God kills a kitten everytime someone uses Apoc rules in normal 40k games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 15:15   #17 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
If, you want to be an absolute sod, you could argue that it is only apocolypse where you have the extra extra large blast and S D rules, meaning that an Apoc BB in 40k is like a castrated male hooker - useless

Remember kids - if in Apoc, use Apoc. If in 40k, use the IA rules. God kills a kitten everytime someone uses Apoc rules in normal 40k games.
I think you've missed the point here - Imperial Armour rules are no more valid than user created rules, they're just a common standard available in print. So given that permission from your opponent is required in order to use a Baneblade in a normal 40k battle, there's nothing at all to stop you from using the apocalypse rules. Your opponent's just got to be on board with it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 15:27   #18 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith

That's a lie. God doesn't get involved. I kill the dumbass who thinks it acceptable to use Apocalypse Formations outside of Apocalypse.

Apocalypse is not 40K. Apocalypse is a piss-poor attempt by GW to squeeze more money out of people by writing a bunch of half-baked rules and saying "lol u dont need teh armi lists!".

Imperial Armour was written for 40K. The Baneblade was written for big games of 40K, the sort you'd play three a side over a weekend. The Baneblade is balanced at high level games - I used one in a 4K Armoured Company vs another 4K Armoured Company, with the odd Land Raider supporting to make up the points. It was balanced. It worked fine. No problems.

Apocalypse is a load of crap. Treat it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Nov 2008, 18:29   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I kill the dumbass who thinks it acceptable to use Apocalypse Formations outside of Apocalypse.
Again, you're missing the point. What is "acceptable" is not relevant - The rules for Apocalypse invite players to put Baneblades on the table. So if both players have arranged to play an Apocalypse game then they can't whinge and moan when super heavies appear. The rules for 40k however do not make any such allowances. So if players want to field Baneblades in 40k games they're going to need their opponent's consent. And all that boils down to is 'I have a non-standard unit in my list using these rules. Is that ok?' If both players are happy to use the rules then all's fine and dandy; it's by no means unacceptable if both players are on board with it because it's the players themselves who decide what is and is not acceptable in their game. It's not for you or anyone else to tell them otherwise...unless you're one of the players of course; in which case you have a direct say in the matter anyway so it's irrelevant.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 19:28   #20 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually my favorite thing to do with my Baneblade in an Apocalypse game is roll it as fast as possible into the middle of my opponents army all guns blazing and chances are it'll get blasted apart critically and leave a giant crater in the middle of my opponents forces. Oh its wonderfull to see 2000+ points of models vanish in one apocalyptic reactor overload, haha!

Closed Thread