Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adeptus Mechanicus
Old 13 Nov 2008, 00:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Adeptus Mechanicus

OK, so I've decided that I want a conversion-heavy army for once, and being that I'm an Ad Mech fanatic, this was the way to go. I've spent the past couple days looking up articles on the internet as to good ways to convert the Skitarii, and I've found some easy, hard, cool, and expensive ways of going about this.

The basic Hyaspists (the equivalents of Guardsmen) will be basic Cadian torsoes, arms, and heads with High Elf Archer legs, with green-stuff work to close the robes on the legs and add hoods. That is quite enough to get the basic troopers looking great, though I'll have trouble with metal models. I intend to convert things like Plasma and Melta using plastics from other armies as opposed to using the metal models and trying to work with those. I've seen this technique work before, and the results are just stunning.

The big project I'm going to work on is a Knight titan. I intend to create one of these single-man titans out of the Defiler kit and some plasticard. Again, this is a conversion that I've seen work marvelously, and it's actually the reason I decided on Ad Mech. It's just going to be a Leman Russ ruleswise unless I'm playing an Apocalypse game, in which case I'm going to use the Bell of Lost Souls datasheet as a basis for my own datasheet. The BoLS sheet is, quite simply put, unfluffy and overpowered. I intend to not use that.

Other than that, I'm not totally sure what I'm going to be using. I'll use Stormtrooper rules for Praetorians, and they'll probably just be normal Hyaspists with extra bits added on. Or I'll use Hardened Veterans to represent them, either way though they'll make it in. Sagitarii will be represented by the support squadrons for the HQ choice, no doubt, and obviously there's going to be a couple Techpriests running about.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than that? I will use normal IG tanks for most other vehicles (the Ad Mech obviously do use the tanks that they provide the Imperium with). I'm a bit lost on how I want to do the command squad - I suppose the officer will be a Technomagos with a Praetorian bodyguard, but that's about the best I've got for that.

So, comments?

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default Re: Adeptus Mechanicus

Are you or are you not using doctrines?

One thing I can think of is that you can use servo arms to represent powerfists... though you got to remember not to give the model more than one other weapon...
Old 13 Nov 2008, 05:14   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Sounds like a great idea. I've always been considering it at the back of my mind.

I take it you've seen all the wonderful Adeptus Mechanicus blogs on Warseer?

Anyway, you'll have to keep us updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 10:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Perhaps your inspiration has come from the most recent issue if firebase - featuring an Adeptus Mechanicus army? It's likely as not the same one Cal was referring to, but if you've not yet seen it, I highly recommend you download Firebase issue 8.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 18:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm making an adeptus mechanicus army list in house rules at the moment, maybe that can help.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 19:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually, the Firebase 8 was what kind of set it off and guaranteed it as my next army. I absolutely loved the Knights that Hortwerth made, that was my inspiration. I'm not using his Bortherhood of Iron models, but I am basing my Knights largely on his.

Honestly, I've not seen the blogs on Warseer. However, seeing some of the blogs on Bolter & Chainsword, Dakka Dakka, WIP and the Adeptus Mechanicus forums, I knew I couldn't pass this opportunity up. Plus, with Christmas coming, I can jump right into the fun.

I am in fact using Doctrines - Carapace Armour and Cybernetic Enhancements are the two defining Doctrines for the army. At some point in time I expect to also have the Mechanized Doctrine in there as well, but the squads are expensive enough as it is, both money-wise and points-wise.

I know how I'm making my models. My Hyaspists (Guardsmen) are going to be Cadian from the torso up, with High Elf Archer legs that are closed to create a robe. My Praetorians are going to have hoods (I'm unsure whether my normal Hyaspists will have hoods or not) and will be painted in a different manner.

For the moment I've got no need for a fan-made codex. I have a couple already downloaded to my computer I can use, such as Tim Huckelberry's Ad Mech and the Tempus Fugitives Cult Mechanicus codex. I will gladly give it a read-through though. I did, at one point in time, make my own fandex for the Ad Mech, but looking back on it now it was grossly overpowered. I didn't know much beyond the organisation of the Ad Mech then, so mine were kind of beefed-up marines with slightly worse armour.

I've written a list up for my new army of choice. It's 1,000 points, which is pretty much close to the lowest I could swing and still have an Adeptus Mechanicus feel. The list is 2 Infantry Platoons with no special weapons, all units with Carapace Armour and Cybernetic Enhancements, Praetorians (veteran sergeants) in every squad with Power Weapons, 2 junior officers with Power Weapons, Iron Discipline and Refractor Fields, and my Command Platoon has a Heroic Senior Officer with a Master-Crafted Power Weapon, Refractor Field and Iron Discipline, while his squad is all Praetorians with Power Weapons. Also in there is a Knight Lancer (Leman Russ) with a Heavy Bolter, Track Guards, Rough Terrain Modifications, Smoke Launchers, and a cute little Searchlight because it only costs a point. The list actually comes out to 998, but whatever.

I know the list sucks. I know it'll never win. But since I've never played Guard before, I expect to learn real quick from my mistakes. One thing I've noticed though, is that with the Carapace Armour Doctrine, Hardened Veterans cost 5 points less than Stormtroopers, can take more special weapons, can infiltrate for free, and are exactly the same stat-wise. They just don't have Hellguns. That's how I'm going to do my Praetorian Squads.

Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

You've got a small problem with your list idea, but it just give you more points to toss somewhere else. Veteran sergeants can't take power weapons.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 22:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Carapace armoured Hardened Veterans actually cost 5 points more than Storm Troopers in equal number, but I do agree that in many respects they're the better choice. Note also that Hardened Veteran Sergeants can take 'officer only' items from the armoury.

What is important to note however is that even if you're not fussed about the Hellguns, Storm Troopers have frag and krak grenades as standard and also access to Meltabombs all round. That makes them a significant threat to vehicles without diminishing their anti-personnel firepower. Combined with the ability to deep strike, this makes Storm Troopers a uniquely capable unit in their own right. Don't dismiss them out of hand.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 22:40   #9 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Yeah, Hortworth was the main one I was thinking of (blog here: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread...ght=mechanicus). There's also this one as well: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64306.

Now you've got me slightly itching to make an Ad Mech army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 00:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've seen Apologist's as well. Basically everyone that's ever made an Adeptus Mechanicus army is at http://z6.invisionfree.com/adeptusme...ex.php?act=idx

Now, I'm glad Jordan pointed out the problem with my list. It kinda sucks that I can't do that, it would be boss if I could. How does the Honorifica work? Is it legal to give an Honorifica to a normal Veteran Sergeant, because from what I gather all it does it change names to Honorifica Imperialis Mundanus. I checked the FAQ which said nothing about it, and the wording certainly does not implicitly state that Veteran Sergeants can't take them. Not sure if I would or not, but it'd make for some epic fluff.

Tom, when I counted the points for Storm Troopers I upgraded one to a Sergeant, being that the Hardened Veterans had to take one. So it came out as 105 for Hardened Veterans after Carapace Armour vs 110 for Storm Troopers. You do bring up good points about the Grenades and the ability to take Melta Bombs. However, for Meltabombs it will cost an additional 40 points to give them to a whole squad - I'd rather take 3 Melta Guns for 30 points that 10 Melta Bombs for 40 to be perfectly honest. I know, there's not as much of a chance of blowing the tank up most of the time, but never needing 6's to hit (never needing 4's to hit for that matter, against tanks) and the ability to plink tanks off at range rather than having to charge them is more my style. With an army that's going to be as ineffective as mine, it doesn't matter much, but even so I'd prefer to go within my zone of comfort.

Go ahead and start an Ad Mech Cal, I need a buddy in this. Plus, healthy competition never killed anybody, right?

EDIT: This is the closest match to what I'm intending to do for my basic Skitarii by the way - this was a HUGE inspiration for me to make a Mechanicus army. http://z6.invisionfree.com/adeptusme...p?showtopic=72

SECOND EDIT: I just had a thought, what could I do with all the leftover bits I will have? I figure I could either convert non-mechanicus models out of them or sell them, what do you all think?