Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Command Squad and Techpriest questions
Old 09 Nov 2008, 04:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Command Squad and Techpriest questions

I'm thinking of starting an Imperial Guard army so I started running through a lot of the material here. While looking I saw this post in one of the sticky posts. It's by a mod and never seems to be corrected if it was a mistake. Is it correct that you can take 2 heavy weapon crews as the 4 command staff to an officer in a command squad? The codex could read such that 'any set of two guardsmen' or 'only two and no more'. I think it is probably 'only two and no more' otherwise, since the Infantry Platoon text for creating heavy weapon crews is the same, you could have a sergeant, 4 heavy weapon crews, and a special weapon Guardsman all in one infantry squad. I just wanted to make sure on that before I went much further with designing a preliminary list.

The codex says you can take two techpriest enginseers as a single FoC choice, but only one choice per list. Also, any enginseer that doesn't take any servitors is considered an IC while the seers with servitors counts them as basically a retinue. Does that mean that I can take two enginseers, one with four tech servitors and the other with no servitors to make it an IC and then join it to the squad with four servitors? That would give me two seers in a squad with four tech servitors giving me two repair rolls a turn at 2+ chance of success. If I join the IC seer to the retinue seer during deployment then can I give the seers a Chimera and have a mobile double-repair platform?

I also have a couple side questions.

What models are used for the Hardened Veterans? Will the Cadian Kasrkin work? Then how would you distinguish them from the Storm Troopers?

I read on the rumor board that they are changing conscripts in 5th edition, but until then, what models are used for conscripts? EDIT: I forgot I read on one of the earlier pages about "Whiteshield platoons". I also see on page 23 an image of Cadian Guardsmen models with a white stripe on their head. I'm assuming this is the distinguishing mark of a conscript.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2008, 05:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default Re: Command Squad and Techpriest questions

Uh... as far as I know, my codex says "Two Guardsmen..." so, I'm going say that 2 sets of heavies in a command squad is abusing something... though others probably have more info on that than I do...

About the techpriests, you can take one with a retinue and one without and then have the Ic join the unit, as far as I know, but as to the second techpriest providing a second repair roll, I'm not so sure about... To me, the whole idea would be a waste of the second techpriest.

On Veterans, as far as I know, normal guardsman models would work fine, but kasrikins have a hellgun on the model which looks significantly different than the lasgun (though the older version looked very similar), so you probably don't want to do that kind of substitution.
In the Codex, it shows conscripts (cadian) as just a guardsman with a white strip painted across the helmet, but depending on your army you could distinguish them however you want, as long as their somehow distinguishable from your normal guardsman.

Hope that helps some.
Old 09 Nov 2008, 07:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok - Forge world do hardened vets upgrade packs so you can use those OR as i do (since i use 2cc weps with them) have a regular guardsman head and sergeant arms with stripes filed off.
That is a good question but it is perfectley legal (or at least Robin Cruddace thinks so when i cornered him about it at Warhammer World) A command squad can have 2 heavy weps teams in it but an infantry squad can only have one. Also all I could get out of him about the new IG codex he's known to be writing is ''soon'' so possibly we could get it in spring-summer 2009...

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
Shasau Rmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2008, 07:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Uh... how can it? The wording is exactly the same for the command squad as it is for the infantry squad (or the veteran, stormtrooper, armored fist squad)... Is it because the only entry that specifically says "per squad" is the conscript entry? And even if it is, how can it be legal for the command and not the infantry?

The posts in that linked thread are dated january of 2008, but this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing... No one I have ever known that plays ig has ever done that...
Old 09 Nov 2008, 09:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeran Van Houten
Uh... how can it? The wording is exactly the same for the command squad as it is for the infantry squad (or the veteran, stormtrooper, armored fist squad)... Is it because the only entry that specifically says "per squad" is the conscript entry? And even if it is, how can it be legal for the command and not the infantry?

The posts in that linked thread are dated january of 2008, but this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing... No one I have ever known that plays ig has ever done that...
Yeah, I'm with you on this one, bud. The entry says "Two Guardsmen may form a single heavy weapons crew". In regards to special weapons it says "Any Guardsman not acting as a heavy weapon crew...", so I'm inclined to believe that if they didn't mean to limit the unit to one heavy weapon they would have added the "Any" prefix to the line.

On another note, Xanzar, I've gotta go get ready for church or I'm going to be late. I don't expect to be back until later tonight, so if your second question's not already been answered by the time I get back I'll see if I can find the answer in the rulebook. Just so you know I'm not just ignoring it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2008, 11:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Conscripts and Hardened Vets can look however you want them to, just as long as there is something to differentiate them from the rest of the army. I've seen someone using Necromunda ganger models to represent Conscripts, as well as a guy using Catachan models when the rest of his army was using the Cadian figures. I use a squad of Forge World Elysians as Hardened Vets, but it can be something as simple as painting a small insignia, or a line somewhere on their uniform.
Old 09 Nov 2008, 21:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Having read the rules governing IC's joining and leaving units on page 48 of the rulebook, and having read up on the 'Blessing of the Machine God' rules I do believe your proposed super repair squad is entirely legal and would work just the way you mean it to.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote