Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Stormtrooper armies
Old 03 Nov 2008, 14:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question about Stormtrooper armies

Is stormtroopers only armies viable selection on normal games?i mean 1000-1500pts.
Do someone have any experience with this
thanks

I think they look like an army of little well armed incredible-hulks. Just my first impression.
Aloh´Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: Question about Stormtrooper armies

It's challenging, but it can be a fun themed army. You'll really need a lot of heavy armour to back you up in the long ranged firepower department. You'll probably want a lot of chimeras as well seeing as 30-40 stormtroopers are going to have a tough time walking up the field.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Alternatively, the Inquisition uses Storm Troopers as their main core troops (unless playing pure Grey Knights or Sisters fo Battle). That can be another option, or even an allied possibility. Inquisitorial Storm Troopers are pretty much the same as Grenadiers (ie. no deep strike or infiltrate), but have access to the Rhino transport and a few other armoury options (like power fist, thunder hammer etc.). Two squads of Troops can also be added to IG (and a third from the other Inquisitorial codex if you feel so inclined).

As for Imperial Guard Storm Trooper armies, most people use the Grenadiers and Mechanised doctrines in tandem, so all Grenadier squads have Chimera transports. The problem with ST armied is that they are still quite vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons. They have a one better armour save (which will still be negated quite a bit), and cost a lot more, which means you're going to be feeling the losses a lot more than a traditional infantry platoon army. By giving them Chimeras, you're giving them protection, heavier fire to support them and mobility. Mobility is really important here, as Storm Troopers are going to be making the most of their multiple Special Weapons. A Chimera allows them to get into a good position to use these.
Carapace is going to be an additionally needed doctrine to get your Command Squad in the same armour. It's up to you where you draw the limit on Carapace Troops (eg. Vets with Carapace can quite easily be a ST commando team). As Jordan said though, you're going to need that heavy support.
Deep Striking 'elite' Storm Troopers will also help you. Giving them Melta guns can give you an anti-armour punch.

In short the key is going to be keeping those (Grenadier) Storm Troopers alive, given the importance of Troops in 5th. It's a harder army to play, as you have to balance out your lesser numbers without the awesome stats of the Space Marines to help you. But it definitely gives you an elite taskforce feel, and an interesting twist on the normal IG armies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes storm trooper armies are viable... Heck even competitive.

Get three elite choice of ST's all with plasmaguns (give the serg's a plasma Pistol)
Stick them in chimeras
Overpower a flank

Get grenadier storm troopers (stick say 2 sqauds with melta guns give the serg a plasma pistol)
Stick them in chimera's
send them up the gut with twin hellhound and a LR demolisher support

and smash the enemy from a distance with
2 Basilisks (both bassies have indirect)
Command Hq Platoon heavy weapons (ie lascannons... like two sqauds and one sqaud with heavy bolters.

I guess that would be the way id play with em anyway.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 18:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
Get three elite choice of ST's all with plasmaguns (give the serg's a plasma Pistol)
Stick them in chimeras
Overpower a flank
Unfortunately you can't get Infiltrate if you have a transport but you can still leg it.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
Stick them in chimeras
Overpower a flank
Unfortunately you can't get Infiltrate if you have a transport but you can still leg it.
He said overpower a flank, dude...not outflank. :P
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah my mistake, I assumed since he said elite he meant for them to outflank. 5 plasma shots per unit is definitely intimidating.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote