Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A veteran IG army
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2005, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A veteran IG army

Hi all!

After readin' many posts here, I have finally made up my mind about the way I want my IG to look. A veteran one, the type of IG army that have seen many battles, been in the heart of hell many times! So, I was lookin' at the Doctrine section and here's what I'm thinking to use for it:

Veterans
Hardened Fighters
Heavy weapon platoons
Die hard
[glow=red,2,300]Need one more here[/glow] (special weapon team? iron dicipline?)

My army will be heavy in missile launchers and grenade launchers (I play way to much at Killzone! ) I will max out on infantry, few tanks (most of them being chimeras). I want Sentinels, espacially one squadron with the rules from FW that allows missile launcher or mutiple rocket pod! I plan on using them at close range where I will use mass rapid fire! 8)

Well, that's a quick look at it! Any suggestion before I make a first list?

Thanks!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 15 May 2005, 22:19   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: A veteran IG army

Consider using Iron Discipline as your last Doctrine.

Be sure to post up a list for us to check out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 May 2005, 23:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink

You dont HAVE to use up all 5 doctrines, and what you have is fine, remember, doctrines take up valuble points, which are sometimes better spent of special and heavy weapons. I guess if you want another one it could be mechanized, as you said you wanted chimeras, or maybe light infantry, beucae they would be adept at fighting in certain environments. Since you are going to have multiple veteran squads, i would say that special weapons are a waste. Perhaps they have been in a campaign against a specific enemy, so they could use xeno-hunters, or Shaprshooters since they have had som much practice. Just choose what you want, but remember that guard work well with less points in upgrades and more in numbers.

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 16 May 2005, 00:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Consider using Iron Discipline as your last Doctrine.

Be sure to post up a list for us to check out soon.
That's probably what I'll do. It's cheap and quite usefull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slannm
You dont HAVE to use up all 5 doctrines, and what you have is fine, remember, doctrines take up valuble points, which are sometimes better spent of special and heavy weapons.
I know but I want to have 5 doctrines!

Quote:
I guess if you want another one it could be mechanized, as you said you wanted chimeras, or maybe light infantry, beucae they would be adept at fighting in certain environments.
Not mechanized... I want some chimeras but not for all my IG squads... for Armored Fists and Veterans mostly. As for light infantry, could be an option... but I would prefer City fighters! Too bad there's none like this... :'(

Quote:
Since you are going to have multiple veteran squads, i would say that special weapons are a waste. Perhaps they have been in a campaign against a specific enemy, so they could use xeno-hunters, or Shaprshooters since they have had som much practice. Just choose what you want, but remember that guard work well with less points in upgrades and more in numbers.
Not to sure about sharpshooters... only re-rolling 1s doesn't look interesting to me... especially for the points you have to pay for it! The xenos one is a bit of a waste because you can't use it all the time! only against the one you choose! And according to my IG fluff, I would need Tau but you can't choose Tau...

Well, thanks lads!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 16 May 2005, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink

Sharpshooters should only be used in your heavy weapons squads. the reason there is no xeno hunters for tau is because it would be useless, you already hit every tau warrior on 3+, except for maybe battlesuit commanders, which are usualy blasted away by lascannons early in the game if you play smart. Iron discipline is a good choice for point costs. Good Luck!

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 16 May 2005, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Thu'Ook
lI want Sentinels, espacially one squadron with the rules from FW that allows missile launcher or mutiple rocket pod! I plan on using them at close range where I will use mass rapid fire!
Well I just thoguht you should be aware that to use those special Sentinels frw FW.. you MUST have one normal sentinel squadron in your force.. so just be aware of that.

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 16 May 2005, 01:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian_1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Thu'Ook
lI want Sentinels, espacially one squadron with the rules from FW that allows missile launcher or mutiple rocket pod! I plan on using them at close range where I will use mass rapid fire!
Well I just thoguht you should be aware that to use those special Sentinels frw FW.. you MUST have one normal sentinel squadron in your force.. so just be aware of that.
I do know! Thanks!

And if I use the Iron Discipline, I probably need the vox-caster thing to use it at it best! If not, only my command squads will benefit from it?

???

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 22 May 2005, 00:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Um...there is no Xeno-fighters Tau b/c you already hit them on 3's. But if they would make tau Xeno-fighters so that you get a different benefit against tau (maybe +1 to wound)...
Old 25 May 2005, 12:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

go with iorn dicipline os sharp shooters. depending on your playing style, either are extremely useful extras

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread