Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Colonel's Schaeffer's last Chancers, scoring or not?
Old 31 Oct 2008, 06:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Colonel's Schaeffer's last Chancers, scoring or not?

We all know the last chancers, and if you look on page 54 of the imperial guard codex, there is a rule which points to the fact that if a certain number of models are taken, then the last chancers take up more than just a HQ FOC slot.

My question is, with the new (not so much now) rule of only troops scoring, Does a last chancer unit (for example 9 models) count as scoring? if not, why not? Do only some sub-units count as scoring? Or do you get an extra scoring unit for just paying a little over 10 points extra?

In a pure Last Chancer's army, you would assume that some units would be counted as scoring, but would all?

In a hybrid army, what happens, does some sub-units gain scoring abilities?

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Colonel's Schaeffer's last Chancers, scoring or not?

Well it's quite simple.

Does the last Chancer a troop Unit or a HQ+retinue unit?

If they are a HQ+Retinue unit, then they are not scoring.
if they are a Troop unit, then they are scoring.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 12:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Boneguard that's what he's asking.

I'd say troops if you take the minimum number of last chancers to make them count as troops in the FOC. Any less and they are only an HQ an then no.

The way I see it if they take up a troop FOC in your army they are troops. Though I may not be right so feel free to call me on it.

*looks around for Tom*
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 12:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well if the rule say after a certain number of models they count as troop, then I guess they can be scoring under certain circumstance.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Well if the rule say after a certain number of models they count as troop, then I guess they can be scoring under certain circumstance.
That I'd have to say would be my take on it.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 13:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well now that's a really good question. I think the answer seems straightforward enough though - The rulebook says that only models coming from the Troops allowance count as scoring units, and the codex tells us that a unit of more than eight last chancers counts as a Troops selection as well as an HQ selection. No models or sub units are discounted from this blanket statement; so technically there's nothing to stop you from breaking the unit into five scoring sub-units if you want.

I'm not entirely sure how Kill Points interact with this aging unit though. My take is that Kage and Schaeffer are worth one KP each (as they are independent characters) and all the rest of the Last Chancers are collectively worth one more. My logic here is that a sub-unit isn't the same as a unit and therefore isn't worth a KP on its own.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 14:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Do people even bother checking the FAQs anymore? This question is asked, and clearly answered, in the Imperial Guard FAQ, downloadable here.

[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 15:39   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Guard 5th Edition FAQ
Q. Do Last Chancers sub-units count as scoring unit for purposes of claiming objectives?
A. As long as more than 8 models are selected, the Last Chancers count as Troop as well as HQ therefore count as scoring units.
So, Schaeffer, Kage and 6 Last Chancers count as scoring units. And MT is right; you guys should read the FAQs.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 03:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

No need to get annoyed. The FAQ's aren't on the Aussie site, I had to go to the US one to find what you mentioned.

Either way, I think it seems a bit ... unorthodox. It probably is the best way to approach it, but paying a little over 10 points to gain 5 different scoring units, plus a free single wound model, is a bit... again I struggle to find the right word, but you know what I mean. Also, Tom raises a good point, KP's.

If the KP's are one for the characters, and one for the last chancers as a whole, you could potentially have 5 scoring units, each with at least 5 models each, and still only lose 3 KP if you lose them. Again, whatever the word I was looking before is used here ;D

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 09:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Riah
No need to get annoyed. The FAQ's aren't on the Aussie site, I had to go to the US one to find what you mentioned.

Either way, I think it seems a bit ... unorthodox. It probably is the best way to approach it, but paying a little over 10 points to gain 5 different scoring units, plus a free single wound model, is a bit... again I struggle to find the right word, but you know what I mean. Also, Tom raises a good point, KP's.

If the KP's are one for the characters, and one for the last chancers as a whole, you could potentially have 5 scoring units, each with at least 5 models each, and still only lose 3 KP if you lose them. Again, whatever the word I was looking before is used here ;D
Never ever forget though how fragile Guardsmen are. The option to split up into five scoring units isn't really worth much when you consider that each of those units will comprise of only four or five men. Such sub-units will get turned to mush if a Space Marine so much as sneezes in their vicinity. Even if you split into only a couple sub-units, you're not really gaining any kind of advantage that you couldn't get by just adding infantry squads to your existing platoon(s) (in terms of number of scoring units).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote