Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Armour 5: The Siege of Vraks Part One Renegades Review
Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Imperial Armour 5: The Siege of Vraks Part One Renegades Review

Okay, first of all I just have to comment on the book itself. The quality is great, with entire battles described in a really cool fashion. Although, like all Forgeworld publications, it is plagued by Nurgle typos.

Alright, onto the Renegades! The Renegade list uses pretty much a traditional IG list, but warps some of the units, adds some wicked units, and gives you a random (literally) doctrine just for you! This doctrine is called Renegades! What it does is that the first time a unit with the Renegades! Doctrine has to take a LD test, you roll a D6 and add four. This means that your units have random LD, ranging from 5 to 10.

For HQ you only have one major choice, that being a 0-1 command squad. However, officers are replaced by Champions (Champion, and Exalted Champion.) Now, the Exalted Champion actually doesnít have better LD than the normal Champion, as they are affected by the Renegades doctrine. The Exalted has a second wound, another attack and better skills all around.

You also get three different kinds of advisors: Enforcers, Apostate Priests and Rogue Psykers. Enforcers are commissars in all respects, only without the ďItís for your own good!Ē Rule. Apostate Priests are pretty much the same, I will have to check but I think they have better stats in a few areas. And my favourite: Rouge Psykers. For 15 pts a pop, you get a nice Stateline and one power. For 10 more points you get another power. When a Rogue fails a perils of the Warp test, he or she becomes possessed and gains a whole new stat lines. Still only has one wound, but against a random number of attacks, rending, and some other stats.

You also get fire support teams, anti-tank teams, mortar teams and sentinel teams.

For Elites you get three awesome units. Berserker Ogryns, who act like Acro-Flaggelents. They roll random attacks on a D6, and after that assault turn, you roll another D6. If you roll less than your attack roll, you take the amount of wounds equal to the difference. So you can do 6 nasty attacks, but then die right after.

The next choice is 0-1 Alpha Legion CSM. They are your basic MEQ, with some nice survivability that most IG commanders are denied. I placed a lascannon and 2 plasma guns into a squad of 10, and sniped away while laughing off bolt shells for once! They killed a Cannoness, an immolator, and the remaining half of a Seraphim squad in one game.

The last choice is essentially hardened veterans, but called Disciples of Xaphan (I will edit it next time I check the book!)

For Troops you have Renegade platoon (Same as a normal platoon, but you can take Heavy Stubbers as a heavy weapon choice.) You can take unlimited number of Workers Rabbles, who replace conscripts. They have the choice between Lasgun/autoguns (Same stats) or laspistols and CCW. I have used a group of 40 with the latter choice, and the number of attacks they can dish out... The last choice is Renegade Armoured fist. Once again, pretty much the same but they can have shotguns and ALWAYS start in reserves.

Fast Attack choices are stock guard sentinels and hellhounds, but you are also given the choice of a Salamander scout vehicle.

Now, Heavy Support is where the options really come in.
You have your turrets which you can equip with any one of a huge list of guns, ranging from twin-linked heavy bolters to a vanquisher cannon. You also have minefields and artillery strikes, and all forms of IA tanks.

Another Heavy Support choice is Heavy Weapon platoons, which are pretty stock, but you can also take a sabre platform team of 1-3 platforms .

Close support artillery is another choice, which includes Griffons, Bombards and basilisks. Oh, and before I forget, you have the choice to take sentry guns which have a variety of firing modes.

And then, of course you get your super-heavies, which include Baneblades (And variants), Machariusí and Gorgon transports.

Now, armoury options are also stock guard, but include Chaos Banners (You get to re-roll failed moral checks, which is great with the random Renegade LD.) Demo charges are also an armoury choice now.

So, thatís about it. I really love this list, as you get a lot of things that normal IG never would have otherwise.

Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Imperial Armour 5: The Siege of Vraks Part One Renegades Review

It sounds a kick-ass list. I must say it's the closest to Guard I've been tempted - if I could make decent models for them I'd do it.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Sounds great. However, the impression I've got from the list is that of a Nurgle or Khorne base (though this might be caused by some of the new upgrades). Of course there's Alpha Legion, who are actually cool. My allegiance is to Tzeentch though. How well can the Renegade's list represent the secretive, twistedly noble cults that might occur from Tzeentch/Slaaneesh/Undivided? I mean the Renegade's look alright but they're all mutilated/branded in general.

Anyway, good write up. Sounds like a good list. *attempts to resist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Sounds great. However, the impression I've got from the list is that of a Nurgle or Khorne base (though this might be caused by some of the new upgrades). Of course there's Alpha Legion, who are actually cool. My allegiance is to Tzeentch though. How well can the Renegade's list represent the secretive, twistedly noble cults that might occur from Tzeentch/Slaaneesh/Undivided? I mean the Renegade's look alright but they're all mutilated/branded in general.

Anyway, good write up. Sounds like a good list. *attempts to resist*
Well, I like to use the "It's called X but I call it Y method." You can easily say Tzeentch Marines or whatever they are called, and just use the stats of the Alpha Legion. Or you could simply call them "Slannesh Overseers" or something similar.

The list does not give you any one particular god that the list is based upon, and gives you some control over that. You can easily just have them as Renegade IG, and not include some of the more mutated models like the Ogryns.

Ah, only now do I read the 'twisted noble cults'. Well than, the 'champions' could be your Nobles, and the Renegade doctrine represents that all Nobles aren't bad ass knight style people, and most hide their cowardice behind well, fake badassery.

It's a pretty open list though. I might be leaning towards Khorn, arming all my "Workers Rabble" with laspistols and CCW for awesome numbers of attacks. Nurgle could represent the Ogryns the best, with feel no pain (That's what I forgot! The Ogryns have FnP.)

And Joker Venom, what I am aiming for is that a regiment that fairly recently whent Renegade, so only now are they showing the tain of chaos. So, instead of tentacles and extra faces on their butts, they can just be er... mean... I'm also painting them in a red/black scheme with red being the primary color (Another Khorn thing, but it's a coincidence actually) and I'm going to mark up their armour and things. I may also mutate the champions and squad leaders a little as well.

Gecko
Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved
The list does not give you any one particular god that the list is based upon,
No, but the list in Imperial Armour 6 does. There's a Renegade list in there with units dedicated to Khorne and Nurgle (though not at once), hence the most recent releases from Forgeworld (like the Plague Ogryns).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 02:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved
The list does not give you any one particular god that the list is based upon,
No, but the list in Imperial Armour 6 does. There's a Renegade list in there with units dedicated to Khorne and Nurgle (though not at once), hence the most recent releases from Forgeworld (like the Plague Ogryns).
Ah, I didn't know that as I haven't acquired it yet :P Does seem interesting though.