Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Basilisk
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question about Basilisk

Hey I was wondering if in a game other than Apoc does the Basilisk have any real purpose other than a gun with way to much range to be very usefull(extremely pointless if you add inderect fire)
I mean I like the range but nearly all games outside of Apoc seem to small to bother using it...
I mean the lemons 72 inch range alone is alot bigger than most of the regular game boards to be an advantage...
I'm asking because I was thinking to add one but then asked myself if it would be useful...
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Oddball
Default Re: Question about Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSCrazy
Hey I was wondering if in a game other than Apoc does the Basilisk have any real purpose other than a gun with way to much range to be very usefull(extremely pointless if you add inderect fire)
I mean I like the range but nearly all games outside of Apoc seem to small to bother using it...
I mean the lemons 72 inch range alone is alot bigger than most of the regular game boards to be an advantage...
I'm asking because I was thinking to add one but then asked myself if it would be useful...
Well, why Basilisks are so useful (with indirect fire) is because you can hide them away behind some terrain somewhere, shoot over the terrain and not having to worry about taking return fire.
Though ofcourse, that is a bit more difficult these days with T-Los and whatnot, but still very viable if you're lucky enough to have a very large piece of terrain near a table corner somewhere.

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
- Billy Connolly
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Well, why Basilisks are so useful (with indirect fire) is because you can hide them away behind some terrain somewhere, shoot over the terrain and not having to worry about taking return fire.
Yeah but with inderect fire it means you cant shoot at things within 36 inches wich is like half the board unless its an Apoc game...
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah but with inderect fire it means you cant shoot at things within 36 inches wich is like half the board unless its an Apoc game...
that's why you put one in each corner.

though with the new rules if you deploy second and your opponent deploys on 1 side of the board you just put your bassie on the opposite side.

there's also the fluff things you could be using bassies for. Like a artillery battery or using one with crew compartments as an assault gun.

they are useful but in a completely different way than a russ. You have to be careful with them.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
that's why you put one in each corner.
First and formost problem i have with that is $$$.
Second is the place I play at doesn't tend to use enough terrain to hide a whole Lotta things...
At best I might be able to hide it behind some trees and get a cover save...
This also brings up another question...
WHATS AN ARTILLARY PEICE DOING THIS CLOSE TO THE FRONT?!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

please, please, please, don't ask that question.

We've had to try and answer it at least 7 times since I've joined the Forum.

Simplest answer, it's not suppose to be.

I think the 2 answers that make the most sense is...

1. The enemy is attempting to overrun an artillery battery protected by a company of guardsmen.

2. It's being used as an ad-hoc tank. A mobile assault gun, like some of the german self proppeled guns in WWII. The need for firepower outwieghes using it in it's normal role.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Which is why hiding it at a corners is your best option, most table being 72" x 48" should mean that to the opposite corner, it's around 90" and the units nearest your Basilisk should start ca 30" from your basilisk at minimum. Now, if the enemy places all their juicy targets as close to your basilisk as possible then that means you've got a lot of playing room on the rest of the battlefield. And not only that, as your Basilisk should be on your most heavily defended territory, you would get to open fire on the people trying to hide within the bassy's 36" minimum range , with the rest of your fancy toys in your guard army. There's also the option of just surprise them and drive out of the terrain your hiding behind and blast them with direct fire instead :x
You're never safe from a basilisk.

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
- Billy Connolly
Old 24 Oct 2008, 17:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Isn't the minimum range only for indirect fire?
Fire it at a target in LOS and you don't use indirect fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic-swede
Isn't the minimum range only for indirect fire?
Fire it at a target in LOS and you don't use indirect fire.
That's right

- Billy Connolly
Old 24 Oct 2008, 22:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
We all know that Lemons shoot really far...

And to be fair, most tables are 4X4 feet, and a Leman's range is 3 feet, so if they hug the edge, you might be out of range. But if you're playing 4X6 table, deploying on the short sides, then that's six feet which a basilisk can shoot while a Leman would not be able too.

And yeah, a Basilisk shouldn't be in this game, but it is.

EDIT: 2000 posts!