Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about command squads
Old 18 Oct 2008, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Question about command squads

Hey all,

I was wondering about what role your command squad of an infantry platoon should take as part of your army? Should it be shooty? Should it assault? Leadership? And what do you normally play it as/equip it with

thanks,
MOOMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Question about command squads

My army is massed infantry surging forwards stupidly into the teeth of the enemy guns, so my command squads fill more of an assault role advancing alongside my guardsmen, and engaging enemy units after I've shot at them. I usually only go with two outfits for my platoon commands.

Junior Officer-Power Weapon
4x Guardsmen with flamers

Junior Officer-Power weapon
4x Guardsmen with two close combat weapons

Comapany Command squad
Heroic Vet Officer-Power weapon plasma pistol
Vetran-Master Vox
Vetran-Medic
Vetran-Plasma pistol, combat weapon
Guardsman-Flamer

I always have these guys leading from the front, inspiring the rest of my chaos guardsmen to greater acts of glory.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 01:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nope, the Master Vox caster is not a veteran. You only pay 5 points to upgrade to the Vox and a further 20 to upgrade to the Master Vox.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Im pretty sure master voxes are not an upgrade to voxes.

Guardsmen-
http://bobthebuilt.deviantart.com/ar...oster-98448744
click on it.

Apature science would to remind you that the weighted companion cube does not speak and if does it is recommended that you disregard its advice
thedestroyerofworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Comander crackhead

The Destroyer's right the master vox isent an upgrade for the regular vox you buy it separately for 20 points (army builder says so)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon
Junior Officer-Power weapon
4x Guardsmen with two close combat weapons
is there actually a point to that? wouldn't a close combat weapon and las pistol be better?

but onto the question at hand.

well my command squads play practically the same roll as all my guardsmen or as long range support with heavy weapons such as auto cannons and las cannons.

If i asked nicely do you think a moderator would give me -1 karma?
Comander crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 08:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comander crackhead
The Destroyer's right the master vox isent an upgrade for the regular vox you buy it separately for 20 points (army builder says so)
Nope, Destroyer's wrong and so is the army builder. Read your codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Command squad entry, page 39 of codex: IG
...the vox-caster may be further upgraded to a master vox for +20 pts.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 07:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What is exactly, the role of guardsman?? Sorry, i'm new to guard
MOOMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 10:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOMOO
What is exactly, the role of guardsman?? Sorry, i'm new to guard
I'm not sure I rightly understand you. 'Guardsman' is the name used to describe all regimental ranks of the Imperial Guard, the same way 'Marine' might be used as a generic tag for a member of the US Marine Corps. Used more specifically within a regiment itself, it's typically a reference to the lowest ranking enlisted men (like 'private&#39, but a Space Marine might still address a full colonel as 'Guardsman' if he were in a belligerent and uncooperative mood.

That being so, the role of a Guardsman is entirely diverse. Even if we assume the term Guardsmen discounts officers, a Guardsman's role might be to command a tank, or to man a heavy weapon, or to rush forward in a surge of of Lasgun-toting cannon fodder! Even if we assume you are referring to the individual Guardsmen that comprise infantry squads, they're still very diverse. One might say Space Marine tactical squads are very flexible because they do everything consistently well while excelling in no single field, but in a sense it might also be said that IG infantry squads are flexible in that they do nothing particularly well! You can hurl them into close combat, stand back and shoot, or get them in close with special weapons - They have no particular speciality.

The more callous IG players among us may tell you a Guardsman's role is to die, and that - at least - carries a measure of truth. Guardsmen are cheap and expendible. Whether you're pushing forward waves of men to overwhelm the enemy, using them to confer a cover save on more expensive units behind, or using them to soak up damage before you have to start rolling saves for your heavy weapons, a Guardsman's talent is dying. Losing a Terminator is a painful blow. Losing a Guardsmen is something you hardly notice.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 14:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOMOO
What is exactly, the role of guardsman??
"Noooo, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
;D

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 15:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, my IG tend to be primarily gunline, with the armor elements doing most of the maneuvering. I use my command squad primarily to sit and give leadership, but are equipped for close combat to countercharge.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote