Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New IG player
Old 08 Oct 2008, 05:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default New IG player

Well i have succumbed to the Imperial Guard. I started with Black Templars, then to Tau, and now Imperial Guard.

I want to do a themed army rather than your standard Cadian or Catachan armies. Mine will be the famed Afrika Korps of WWII led by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.
Also the new IG releases next year are right on my Birthday in April so its good timing.

I did some research on the structure of the Afrika Korps and would like some help on what units would be what in 40k.
I am not too fussy on keeping it vintage, just what unit in 1941 is equal to IG 40k.

Here we go:

Paint Scheme - Same as the real Afrika Korps.

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel - Commissar?

Troops - I was thinking cadians as your standard troops. Whole army of Tallarins is too expensive.
Standard Infantry (Cadians)
Panzer Grenaiders (Missile Launchers)
Paratroops (?) - considering drop troop Tallarins (is it legal?) because these guys were to counter the SAS in North Africa.
Reconnaissance (?)

Tanks - Panzer IV - Big cannon, with a machine gun that is also Anti-tank, good armour (Russ)
Panzer III - Infantry support, medium cannon, also Anti-tank
Panzer II - Light Anti-Tank, main armament has high rate of fire
Panzer I - Anti-Infantry, main armament = machine guns, capable of AA, light tank
Half Tracks - Troop transport (Chimera)

Heavy Weapons - PaK 36 and 38 - Medium Anti tank cannon and Heavy Anti tank cannon (maybe Auto or Heavy Bolter)
FlaK 37 88mm, long range tank killer (thinking Las)

What do I need to do to organise these troops?
The tanks and troops are under the 5th Light Division (in real life) with their commander and the paratroops are on their own with their own commander, both are under Rommel.

EDIT: I have no idea what I am doing in respect to Imperial Guard. So your help would be appreciated

Cheers,
Dangerman

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 08:51   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: New IG player

First off; Welcome to the Imperial Guard *Salutes* Now....

I've seen that you're selected a theme for your Guard; Good! You're well on your way. Now, let's go through this one-by-one:

Quote:
Field Marshal Erwin Rommel - Commissar?
Ah, this will be your basic Heroic Senior Officer. And like all Officers, he has a retinue of Guardsmen as his staff. How we set them up? Depends really.

Quote:
Troops - I was thinking cadians as your standard troops. Whole army of Tallarins is too expensive.
Standard Infantry (Cadians)
Panzer Grenadiers (Missile Launchers)
Paratroops (?) - considering drop troop Tallarns (is it legal?) because these guys were to counter the SAS in North Africa.
Reconnaissance (?)
Standard Infantry is best represented by Cadian models while the Panzer Grenadiers is best represented by Storm Troopers. As to Tallarn Drop Troopers? Yes, it's legal but Cadian models can be used as well Try to have ONE Infantry Platoon but if you want to do a whole Grenadier Regiment then go ahead.

Quote:
Tanks - Panzer IV - Big cannon, with a machine gun that is also Anti-tank, good armour (Russ)
Panzer III - Infantry support, medium cannon, also Anti-tank
Panzer II - Light Anti-Tank, main armament has high rate of fire
Panzer I - Anti-Infantry, main armament = machine guns, capable of AA, light tank
Half Tracks - Troop transport (Chimera)
The Panzer IV can be represented by Leman Russ Battle Tanks. Panzer III; Leman Russ Demolisher. Panzer II; Leman Russ Exterminator. Panzer I; Leman Russ Exterminator as well. Half Track; Chimera.

Quote:
Heavy Weapons - PaK 36 and 38 - Medium Anti tank cannon and Heavy Anti tank cannon (maybe Auto or Heavy Bolter)
FlaK 37 88mm, long range tank killer (thinking Las)
The Medium Anti-Tank Cannon can be Autocannon while the Heavy Anti-Tank Cannon can be Lascannon.
Quote:
What do I need to do to organise these troops?
The tanks and troops are under the 5th Light Division (in real life) with their commander and the paratroops are on their own with their own commander, both are under Rommel.
One Infantry Platoon being Light Infantry while the other Infantry Platoon as Drop Troops? While you spent points for Grenadiers on Chimera and 2 Leman Russes.

Hope this helps And again, welcome to the Guard.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

*salutes, sgt Bilko style*

Cheers for the help. I don't think i'll go with the full platoon of grenadiers. I'm going to get the IG codex soon so I can get my head around this theme.

As I understand it you have squads in your platoons. How many models are in a squad? I saw the sample list Wargamer did had 5 heavy weapon squads in it.

Cheers,
Dangerman
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Sounds like you want the following doctrines *hick*

Drop *hick* Troops
Independent Commissars
Heavy Weapon Teams

this leave you with 2 spare for your doctrine leisure.

So!. You'll need a HQ squad.

Using the Tallarn models as drop troops is a good idea. That or veterans (another doctrine). Other than that looks like agood idea to start

10 models to a squad, 5 to a command.
1 command and 2-5 squads is a platoon.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 12:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You took my idea! :P

At least I'm not the only one. Here's what I came up with eariler this month for this exact idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
sorry for the double post but this is a completely different idea than the previous if someone has a problem tell me and I'll delete/edit.

while bored in class today I came up something that may help you if you wanted. This is mainly for me at a later date but I figured I'd post it and maybe you could get some ideas from it. It's pretty much just a converstion idea that compares the german weapons of WWII to the 40k weapons. Most of the tanks will be from IA.

Tanks and other vehicles:
Chimera w/ turret Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter and hull heavy bolter = Panzer I
Chimera w/ turret autocannon and hull heavy bolter = Panzer II
Leman Russ Conquerer w/ hull heavy bolter = Panzer III
Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull heavy bolter = Panzer IV
Leman Russ Battle Tanks(standard one with battlecannon) w/ hull heavy bolter = Panzer V "Panther"
Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ hull heavy bolter = Panzer VI "Tiger I"
Malcador Heavy Tank = Tiger II "King Tiger"(complete with notorious engine problems :P )

for any of the Jagdpanzer assualt guns you could use the destoryer tank hunter or maybe a bassie without indirect fire.
for the self propoppeled artillery just use the bassie and/or medusa.
and the salamander scout vehicle would work for a armored scout car
and if you wanted some stuka dive bombers, thunderbolt fighters would work fine

I haven't been able to find one but if you wanted a hellhound there was bound to be a few, if the US had a flamethrower tank why not the germans.

now for the infantry weapons.

Infantry portable weapons:
laspistol = Luger
lasgun = Kar 98
shotgun = MP 40
hellgun(or bolter possibly) = MP 44
sniper rifle = scoped Kar 98
flamethrower = flamer(duh on this one : )
grenade launcher = don't know about this one but entirely possible
there were not equivilent to plasmaguns or meltaguns in WWII so these would be your choice

Heavy bolter = MG 42
Autocannnon = could be used as a light anti-tank gun
Missile launcher = panzerfaust
light mortars = mortars ( : )
lascannons = heavier anti-tank guns(this is getting more to the realms of an 88, and probally wouldn't be very man portible, maybe sticking to a "88 battery"(heavy weapon squad of lascannons)

for the infantry themselves.

guardsmen = standard troops
veterans = veterans or SS storm troopers
storm troopers = SS if you didn't want them as veterans
Rough Riders = motorcycle troops, though hunting lances don't really work in this case

hope this helps... damn the things I come up with when bored
and gecko pointed out I forgot the half-tracks just use chimera with heavy bolter/multi-laser.

These are just my interpitations of the german tanks. BTW if you really want to be creative take an arvus lighter and put you're command squad in it. Vola you have Rommel in his trusty scout plane :P

to your latest question. 10 men are in a squad and a platoon is made up of a command squad and 2-5 normal infantry squads. A command platoon can have 2 anti infantry heavy weapon squads, 2 anti-tank heavy weapon squads, and 2 mortar squads. As well as 2 special weapon squads and a single sentinal squadron

edit: try using the IG list without doctrines. You'd be surprised. Gecko mentioned that and looking back he has a point. You can make a good list without doctrines, but for afrika korp mechanized is probally a must have.
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 08:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I just have a quick question about doctrines. As I understand it that if i chose some doctrines i cannot pick troops out of the restricted troops list unless it states I can in a doctrine. Is that correct? If so I may not choose any doctrines.
Although drop troops looks good and so does veterans, since the Afrika Korps is devised from divisions that have seen battle in Europe.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 10:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Negative.

You select doctrines and restricted troops together. you have 5 choices in total.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 11:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok I sort of get it now. If i choose doctrines I have to choose some restricted units or I cannot use them at all. I that correct? Otherwise I can use any of the restricted units in an un-doctrine regiment?

Confusing stuff. I have the codex now and I am still confused...
Old 10 Oct 2008, 11:37   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman
Ok I sort of get it now. If i choose doctrines I have to choose some restricted units or I cannot use them at all. I that correct? Otherwise I can use any of the restricted units in an un-doctrine regiment?

Confusing stuff. I have the codex now and I am still confused...
Don't worry. You will either get it or be profoundly confuse forever until the new IG Codex is out :P Doctrines are for you to use or not. Personally, I only use 3 Doctrines in my list; I like my guardsmen cheap!

ONE Doctrine can be used to buy ONE Restricted Unit or ONE Alternative Regimental Organization or ONE Skills and Drills or ONE Special Equipment.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2008, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I get it now

If I did choose Doctrines I would most likely to go for:

Drop Troops - I was going to go with Mechanised, but I can buy any squad a chimera anyway (Can I??).
Veterans - This is for the fluff of the Afrika Korps.
Heavy Weapon Platoons - Represent the Artillery/Anti-Tank squads in the Korps, possibly drop this to integrate HW into infantry platoons.
Tech Priest - They didn't have many tanks and they tend to get damaged in the sand.

Otherwise I'd use an un-doctrinated list.

So far I have decided on:

HQ
Heroic Senior Officer Erwin Rommel
VOX

Elites
Hardened Vets
Tech Priest with Tech Servitors

Troops
Platoon, VOX
Armoured Fist Squad

Heavy Support
Leman Russ (fluffy on Panzer IV and III)